FM synthesis for techno

A

awkword

After hearing the new Yamaha DX groovebox I've become quite interested in that metallic FM sound. I'm planning on getting an old Yammy DX module, probably a TX81z or DX7 and running it with my RM1X instead of paying $499 for the new DX box.

Anyone here on this list have any experience with FM synthesis? I've herad that the learning curve is steeper than traditional analogue programming. I'm interested in in primarily for getting some really bouncy, metallic techno sounds. I'd appreciate any advice.

I suppose I've grown a bit tired over the endless discussions of which VA sounds "phatter". FM synthesis is old enough to be worthy of some retro chic-ness now, don't you think?

;)

buy the old stuff with a special controller for FM synths i'll find u a link for what u need

Yea i have a Yamaha DX9 in the studio. I picked it up cos it was going for about £70. It does provide some really "unique" sounds in the studio. lol. some good, some awful. I've heard the DX200 too, and its nothing like the old FM synthesis - it sounds much more 'sanitised'. If you liked the sound of the DX200 buy it. If you want to experiment with an old FM instrument, get the TX81Z or the DX9, DX100, DX21, DX7 (not the DX5, or DX1 - you couldn't afford em. lol). But yea, they're good to play with and soooo cheap now. Incidentally - im considering selling my DX9.

i got the dx200 and i have to say its a monster of a thing, my only let down is the 1 part for the fm synth and the FX arent too hot otherwise its a monster, reminds me of my old vs200 home kb same sounds lol
i love it already :D

The battery in my DX7 has gone flat so each time you turn it on it makes random patches, some of them sound awesome. Otherwise it's a prick to program.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my DX7. There are abotu 10,000 some odd patches online for free, and then a bunch of pay ones.

By far the most sucessful DX7 programmer was/is Brian Eno. He's gotten some incredibly phat sounds out of that machine.

But the learning curve is like climbing K2.

If you're going to buy, look for a DX7 or a DX7 FDII. They're over 10 years old, but still work great.

And I have a DX7 Librarian utility that will make random patches, also some of them quite cool. Tribal - if you can sysex some of those patches up, send them over!

:cheers:

zoom.jpg

this little monkey takes dx7 patches, and i presume that a dx7 will also take its patches

once yamaha get me the new editor i'll put them up for all dx7 user to use :D

in the meantime can u post some urls to get some patches

Back