Fender Rhodes modules,, wich one???

Is that all???

Ive heard the older vintage keys a couple of years ago and i wasnt impressed by it. Maybe the newer vintage pro will be ok,,, but still aint there anything else???

well, you did say modules, and you did mention that you wanted a Wurlitzer EP sound as well. And you said affordable, which leads me to believe that something like a Motif rack (which has excellent EP sounds, IMHO) would be out of the question.

You might want to try to find a used Roland P330 module.

I am a bit concerned that you weren't "impressed" with the original VK module ... you may just be one of those people who are never satisfied?

the EMU vk is from 1993, wich is 10 years ago,, times are changing and so are my demands.

Im just surprised that there arent that much alternatives,.

The closer you can get to the Fender Rhodes sound is the ROLAND MKS-20 sound module (more warm than the P330). It's from the late 80's and you can get one for around 100$.
I got one for 50 $ a month ago.

It's way better than the newer sound modules for that real and warm rhodes sound. I know what I'm talking about, I work in a studio that has a real Fender Rhodes, and I wasn't able to obtain that sound with Emu Proteus 2000/Mo Phatt, Roland JV, Korg Trinity. The MSK-20 is very close, and have an analog chorus/tremolo FX inside that warm up the sound.

bobaphat said:
... Im just surprised that there arent that much alternatives,.
Yep. Well, like you said ... times have changed. There isn't much of a market anymore for a specialized piano module ... so there isn't any sense in a bunch of companies making them.

aah thanx, il look out for it, its a very affordable alternative

ajouffa said:
The closer you can get to the Fender Rhodes sound is the ROLAND MKS-20 sound module (more warm than the P330). It's from the late 80's and you can get one for around 100$.
I got one for 50 $ a month ago.

It's way better than the newer sound modules for that real and warm rhodes sound. I know what I'm talking about, I work in a studio that has a real Fender Rhodes, and I wasn't able to obtain that sound with Emu Proteus 2000/Mo Phatt, Roland JV, Korg Trinity. The MSK-20 is very close, and have an analog chorus/tremolo FX inside that warm up the sound.

dansgold said:
Yep. Well, like you said ... times have changed. There isn't much of a market anymore for a specialized piano module ... so there isn't any sense in a bunch of companies making them.

Not much of a market anymore????????
The original rhodes are sold for more then $1500, Clavia recently released the Electro, wich is a vintage 70's key module.

bobaphat said:
Not much of a market anymore????????
The original rhodes are sold for more then $1500, Clavia recently released the Electro, wich is a vintage 70's key module.
Hey, consider that just about every company made some kind of a "Piano Module" a few years back ... Korg, Alesis, Emu, Yamaha, Roland, Kurzweil, 360 Systems, etc. but now hardly anyone does ... I think this speaks for itself.

Also consider that at one time getting a realistic piano sound out of a synth was once something unheard of ... which is why so many comapnies made those kinds of modules. Now it isn't a big deal ... almost everything has some decent Pianos and EPs included.

You are probably something of a purist (like me in some ways) when it comes to these kinds of sounds. I held onto my Wurlitzer well past its prime, and I just can't afford the upkeep on the "real thing" anymore.

I think the P330 and MKS20 and the newer VK Pro Module (which is available NEW for around $400) are your best options.

Perhaps you misunderstood me ... I did not mean to say that EP type sounds aren't in wide demand ... clearly these are classic sounds that will keep their usefulness for a long time. It's just that making a specialized single-purpose module for Pianos and EPs doesn't make economic sense for most hardware companies.

If you want to go the software route ... there are several companies which have incredible sound sets available for just about everything .... there is even a company called Scarbee which has gone to rather extreme lengths to create near-perfect Rhodes, Wurlitzer and other sample sets. Another good source of sample-sets is Plugsound.

yeah i agree on the vintage pro.by emu.for the price down from 600.bucks is a good dea;l,also check out the voce,electric piano module,.it has strictly rhodes and wurlitzer patches in them,also check out there reviews on harmony central about this and any other piece of gear.peace

I recently had the option to buy a real rhodes for about 700 euro´s or so from a guy who needed quick cash. I should have taken it, but didn´t have the money, plus I already have lots of jv and srx-patches from roland that are excellent for Rhodes and other EP´s. (although a real Rhodes for that price was superb)
I haven´t heard the MKS-20 or vintage keys though, so i can´t compare.
But I can compare a real Rhodes I´ve played with my roland jv and srx patches and I tell you this : in my opinion most people will never hear the difference !!! I´m serious !! (although I realise that´s a very dangerous thing to say, but hey it´s just an opinion)

i can agree on that bro,the keys of the 60,s and 70,s.yeah the rhodes oin there are awesome....i have a jv 1080,but have not heard any of them in the xv modules,is there a big big stretch,in the sound of the jv rhodes versus the xv srx boards? peace

honestly, I don´t have the feeling that the srx-patches are that much better than the jv-patches. Most of them even use the same waveforms (depending on which expansion of course, some expansions (although very few) have all new waveforms, but some are even just a compilation of the best patches of 2 or even 3 jv-cards.).
But that´s just my personal taste though...

This is not a synth but a VSTi that blows them all away-- Applied Acoustics Lounge Lizard. If you need a REAL sounding Rhodes then you need this software. It is as accurate as is possible. CPU hungry as hell though. But worth it!!

if you have a sampler try the magnetica keyboards sample cd by wizoo, the rhodes samples are simply excellent, and the cd is affordable

If you happen to have a Virus-C there's a very well put together document (Programming_Analogue_Synths_Tutorial) available for download on the www.access-music.de site that walks you thru emulating the Fender Rhodes sound. If you have any synth at all it may help give you some pointers that could be used accross the board.

Back