fantom and triton (not another vs post.. just honest opinon & thoughts)

H

Harlems Heat

whats good fp peeps just would like to get some honest opinons on the fantom xr and triton rack. i would like to know if someone can tell me there power points in sounds. does the fantom have good strings/ guitars then the triton?. Can someone plz tell me what does one have that the other lacks in sound. i really dont care about sampling or its sequencers or anything else. just there sounds. im into hiphop and really like strings, guitars, and some piano. THANX!

P.S. DONT TELL ME ABOUT THE MOTIF. THANX AGAIN.

If you REALLY want to know. I mean, really, really want to know...find out where the nearest music store is and drive there, even if it's an hour away. You're talking about spending $1300 on something, so you can't possibly leave that up to people's opinions, on or offline, 'cause what they say about opinions is true. A better question is what issues do longtime users have?

I have a Triton LE 'cause it fits perfectly in my setup, but I personally love Roland's sounds (I have a JV module, and plan on getting an XR). Out of the big three, you foolishly leave out a module that is head and shoulders above the Triton Rack in the categories that you say you care about. And THAT's why I even more sternly say only you can make the decision about what's best for you. I say that to everybody. It doesn't matter what I like, or what works for me. It's about what YOU like, and what works for you. You say don't tell you about the MOTIF, then why are you asking for opinions anyway? For real, for real? Any of the big three's modules can work for you. Good Luck.
Peace

A honest question:

Why do you look only on these options guys????

Why, why people only ask if they have to buy a Phantom, or a Triton, or a Motif, or if Phantom S, or Triton LE, or Motif ES??

guys, these synths are so expensive, and at the same time, so mediocre. I made the mistake that you are about to do, to pay a lot of $$$ for these workstations.

Thanks to God, I sold them very fast, I get rid of them at a good price, before they lose more value.

I can`t avoid to feel some sadness for hardware synth market. Having so much new technologies and posibilities, but the big labels still feeding themselves with crappy products, at low costs and very high prices.

Maybe, I could rescue a little bit the Motif, but the Yamaha EX5, at a very more affordable price, can make you forget the Motif forever. Motif can even touch the EX5. And nobody talks about it.

The Phantom, well, I only can say that the effects are good, but it`s so, so crappy tweaking them, the 16 tracks of the sequencer are so boring to access, you waste a lot of time navigating this synth, specifying the loop part is terrible, so big screen for nothing, I was about to throw this synth to the trash.

And the worst of all of them, the Triton. What a waste of synth, the "flag" of Korg workstations. Not a single sound to rescue from it.

For Triton`s price, you could buy a Kurzweil. Now we are talking. But seems that people forgot that Kurzweil workstations exists, glorifying the mediocrity on hardware music production.

Kurzweil...i have read a lil bout those. can u put me up on the them more. tell me whats a good Kurzweil keyboard with nice sounds. im open to opinons man.

If you can buy a new Triton, then you could get an used Kurzweil K2000, or even the K2500

Kurzweil is one of the finest digital synths. They are very wanted by professional keyboard players. The keys are heavyweighted, amazing response.

The acoustic instruments are great. I haven`t heard a better emulated piano sound. Is almost real.

They generally come with the best ribbon controller on the market. In some models, the ribbon controller is located under the keyboard, from side to side!. They are very expressive instruments, high detailed programmation, excellent samples quality. Very extensive realtime controlling. Kurzweil is a synth for those ones who like to express themselves in the moment. For a keyboard stage performer, I could say...

Best ROM-based synths, are produced by Kurzweil IMHO.

The programmation of sounds is deep, VAST technology rocks. Very detailed at the moment of programming realtime controlling, specially aftertouch and modwheels. The soundquality is superb.

IMHO The Kurzweil K2500 is the perfect workstation. Just played the first preset patches, and I was really impressed. That grandpiano patches, can make you cry.

It has a 32 track sequencer. It has a sampler, and it has the best preset patches I`ve ever heard on a workstation. You can spend days programming just a few patches. Programmation is so extensive and highdetailed. Double ribbon controller and several sliders fully assignable.

You could get a used K2500, for a new Triton`s price. Man, just play a K2500, and you`ll forget all those cheap workstations. Everybody is wasting their money on Phantom/Triton/Motif, don`t do the same mistake

Other good workstations are:
EX5, the multiple synthesis-based digital synth from Yamaha. It has two types of virtual engines, the virtual analog and the virtual acoustic. It also has the "regular" PCM (AW2M) engine, another type of synthesis known as FDSP, unique for the EX5, they are 10 super effects with names as "Tornado", "seismic" "water" that are very powerful, and it also can samples. This is the best workstation produced by Yamaha.

I also recommended the Ensoniq TS 10 or TS 12, biggest Ensoniq workstations, they can`t sample, but they can load samples from Akai and other formats, and assign them to each key and made some standard programmation. Great unique sound, and sequencer integrated.

Thanks to God, there are some people that still opened to opinions, and don`t run inmediatly to their nearest dealer to buy another stupid Triton.

damn that Kurzweil sounds crazy. i would def like 2 mess wit 1 of those. i heard some mp3 demos it was crazy. i would like 2 see 1 up close so i could go through the sounds. im feelin it so far. good looks man. holla back wit any other info.

do they have the rack versions of any of these keyboards??? if so can u let me know which one. im tryin to find that out now.

Harlems Heat said:
do they have the rack versions of any of these keyboards??? if so can u let me know which one. im tryin to find that out now.
29979948_2090.jpg

Recommended by Trent Reznor.

yeaaahhh! i was looking at that 1. there not that expensive on ebay. im gonna get 1 for sure. the sounds r crazy on the orchestra rom. thanx a lot for showing me the light man...lol. i only wanted to know about the fantom and triton before because I own a motif es6 and my partner wants to build a studio in his house so we wanna have a really good and versatile setup but thanx to u, you've opened up a new door. THANX

balma said:
Always welcome. Enjoy it for me.

Ups, I forgot.

It`s a shame U can get the keyboard. The keys are hammerweighted, the modwheels designed with gravity center, and Kurzweil is obsessed with their ribbon controllers.
(sorry for double-posting)

workstations are a matter of taste..

IMHO the Kurzweil is another workstation to consider.. not necessarily better than Motif, Triton or Fantom..

each has pros (and cons).. I think you can make great music with either one.. you just have to find something that inspires you.

they all have loads of features and require a learning curve (some are more user friendly than others). the more time you spend tweaking, the better they sound!

I heard some mp3 demos of the Kurzweil.. IMO the real gems are on the optional expansion boards (just like with the other choices), which means, more $$$ to spend..

I have a Triton Studio, it's a great instrument! and no it's not overhyped!
If you like the Korg Sound, I suggest you check the Triton Extreme + Moss Expansion Board. The Extreme is the last of the Triton line: it has USB, Valve distortion, and a large selection of all the expansion boards..

I've played on the Fantom for about 3 hours, and it is also a great workstation! great piano and guitar samples.. love the drum pads!!

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Fantom (because for me it's a new toy, lol).. but seriously, you should try them both, see which interface/sound you like better.

if you have any questions about the Triton, I'm here..

cheers

Thanks man. i was looking into a rack thats y i said i would get the kurz rack. i was looking into a fantom xr or triton rack, or a xv580...theres several options like everyone sez, its true but i just wanted 2 see other peeps input. im considering the triton rack, fantom rack, or kurz rack...lol i dunno. ill get 1..there all pretty great in their wayz. lemme kno ur opinon on the trion and motif combo.

Bluedays said:
workstations are a matter of taste..

IMHO the Kurzweil is another workstation to consider.. not necessarily better than Motif, Triton or Fantom..

each has pros (and cons).. I think you can make great music with either one.. you just have to find something that inspires you.

they all have loads of features and require a learning curve (some are more user friendly than others). the more time you spend tweaking, the better they sound!

I heard some mp3 demos of the Kurzweil.. IMO the real gems are on the optional expansion boards (just like with the other choices), which means, more $$$ to spend..

I have a Triton Studio, it's a great instrument! and no it's not overhyped!
If you like the Korg Sound, I suggest you check the Triton Extreme + Moss Expansion Board. The Extreme is the last of the Triton line: it has USB, Valve distortion, and a large selection of all the expansion boards..

I've played on the Fantom for about 3 hours, and it is also a great workstation! great piano and guitar samples.. love the drum pads!!

If I had to pick one, I'd go with the Fantom (because for me it's a new toy, lol).. but seriously, you should try them both, see which interface/sound you like better.

if you have any questions about the Triton, I'm here..

cheers

Quality of hardware synthesizers is not just a matter of taste.

And not everything depends of just your learning curve. Features, expression capabilities, versatility, all these things can have a strong influence on how far you can go on music production. I have learned this by the hard way.

Kurzweil K2000 is obviously another workstation to consider. And it deserves a great consideration, when, feature by feature, sound by sound, circuit by circuit, the K2000 or K2500 are 1000 times better than the Triton, or a Phantom.

Your money is not for free, some people (like me) have to work a lot to get some $$$ to invest on synths.

I recommended carefully this machine, `cause I owned a Phantom for 18 months, a Triton for 2 months (enough to get tired of it) and a Motif for two years, and also, a Karma, very similar to Triton. And I´ve played the K2000 and the K2500 for two months, each day of the week, and I didn`t just heard the Kurzweil demo....

And so strong is my consideration about these options, that I wouldn`t trade a Phantom, a Motif and a Triton together, for a K2500...:)

Well, you said it. I agree -- if you love something, DON'T set it free -- hang onto it forever.

Harlems Heat said:
Thanks man. i was looking into a rack thats y i said i would get the kurz rack. i was looking into a fantom xr or triton rack, or a xv580...theres several options like everyone sez, its true but i just wanted 2 see other peeps input. im considering the triton rack, fantom rack, or kurz rack...lol i dunno. ill get 1..there all pretty great in their wayz...

Harlems Heat,
if you search this board, you'll find thousands of threads about which is best.. and guess what, not one can give you an answer to that.. because there isn't one!

some people swear by their Fantom, others by their Motif... and some by their Kurzweil (no offence Balma); but this just proves that they're all capable machines..

when you spend this much money, you have to decide for yourself! different people have different needs (also different standards).. you have to go to a music store, and spend some time on each. If you can, go twice or three times, and play with them again. 2nd time around, you'll be a little more familiar with the interface, that way you can concentrate more on the sound..

Harlems Heat said:
lemme kno ur opinon on the trion and motif combo. [/B]
if by combo you mean getting both, I advise you not to do that! For home recording, one is more than enough! (and it will take some time to really learn how to make use of all the features)

if you want to invest in another synth, I suggest you check VA synths (VA=virtual analog).

Back