menergy

I was looking at Boss drum machines
at www.bossus.com.

I am looking for a drum machine that has lotso
built-in percussion patterns appropriate for dance
genres.

Anyone using the Boss machines?

Is there something better?

Please don't suggest something like an MPC2000XL becuase it comes with NO built-in patterns or sound.

Does the 670 or 770 series Boss units have production quality percussion sounds?

I won't recommend the MPC, because I've used one and I hated it...I took it back the next day!

sorry I can't help you on the sounds, (from what I understand they are decent, but haven't heard them myself) but I do hear alot of people recommended the DR-202 and the 670. I know both the DR-202 and 670 both have preset patterns and drum kits, as well as effects. I'd go to a GC or another shop and play around with each of them and see what you like.

If you got the money, you could go with the Yamaha RS7000, which I own and love. It's a sequencer, sampler, synth and groovebox all in one. It comes with hundreds or patterns that you can use or edit, (alot of dance grooves) tons of options and effects that you can play with on the fly. it's a decent machine that I use to build my drums with. You can import wav files as well, so you can basically sample or use any sound that you want.

If you really wanted to you can use it in a live performance.

Anyways...just my opinion.

Definately play with the equipment before you buy it.

Last edited:
I had a DR-5, that has a lot of general sounds along with drums, it's geared more toward guitarist/songwriters though.

I also had a 202 for a while. It had a lot of neat sounds, some good patterns, kind of fun to play with. I eventually sold it since I didn't need a drum machine anymore, but I probably would not get it again if I did since you can't make your own sounds.

Why do u hate the mpc ??? i wont stay on earth without mine

I just didn't like how it felt and the whole menu system, plus seeing that I'm starting to produce some trance stuff, I don't feel that the MPC is for me.

I feel the same way about my RS7K, it's a hella good box for what I need it for!!!

Back