61-Keys vs. 76-Keys?

monogee

I'm looking to get a new keyboard. I would like to know the benefits if there are any to having 61-Keys vs. 76 Keys? Thanks.

The biggest advantage is having the extra octave when using a split, bass sound in left hand and lead sound in right.

My last to two keyboards have had 76 keys, verses the 12 other keyboard I have with 61 or less (49) keys. My Roland Fantom X-7 has slowly become my favorite.

Note: there are performance differences between various manufacturers & models. So go to GC and try before you buy.

Unless money is the issue, I would always buy 76 keys now. I dont really like most 88 key keyboards, they try and immiate piano feel to much for my liking.

Totally agree with above. It's like choosing an Suv with third row seating...again, if you need the "space" then get the 76. Otherwise, you can still get away with jamming on a 61.

But for splitting your keyboard into seperate zones, then ya, obviously heps to have more notes per split.

I have a 61 key synth and most of my songs only utilize the lower 3 octaves, and sometimes the 4th. I may have used the 5th octave, but I can't remember when. Except, the upper octaves I use for some sounds in the percussion kits of my synth. Even that is rare, because the kick and snare is almost always the first few keys at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
get a 61 key and an 88 key midi controller and their you got the Premium version of whatever keyboard you want, but Guitar Center dont want you to know that
Motif 6 + 88 key controller = Motif 8
Fantom x6 + 88 key controller = Fantom X8 ..etc
(save more than a thousand bucks)

California said:
get a 61 key and an 88 key midi controller and their you got the Premium version of whatever keyboard you want, but Guitar Center dont want you to know that
Motif 6 + 88 key controller = Motif 8
Fantom x6 + 88 key controller = Fantom X8 ..etc
(save more than a thousand bucks)
That's an idea. Rack versions would be better, though.

Back