Turntables for sampling only?

G

GoGetta

I have a mixer so I don't think a turntable with a digital I/O would be neccessary! So should I cop a cheap belt-drive turntable[Stanton STR8-20B $99.99] or should I cop a direct-drive turntable[Numark TTX1 $399.99]? Remember I'm not a DJ, No Scratchin or nothin like that just need a turntable to sample my vinyl that's it Thanks!

Yep since your not gonna be doing any scratching theres no point in getting a table like the ttx1 or 1200s. But your dont want a real cheap turntable either because there is a difference in sound quality. I think you should just get a cheap stanton belt drive table ($150-200) and hook up a good cartridge like a sure m44g so youll get better sound quality.

belt-drive or direct-drive?

Ya since I'm not gonna be doing any scratching I don't think theres a point in getting tables like the ttx1 or 1200s. For sound quality it would depend on the cartridge not how cheap the turntable is right? Should I buy a turntable with a straight or curved arm? Or does it really matter since it's just for samplin? Even though I have a Yamaha MG 10/2 Stereo Mixer should I still buy a turntable with digital out's? I was also told to get the direct-drive table since I will have to turn the record back to size up the sample a belt-drive would wear out quick! Help ya boy out and let me know what's real Thanks!

It depends what you want it to sound like. The sound all depends on the cartridge. Obivously the better the cart the crisper the sound. However some people like a rubbishy sound and so dont get a good cart. For belt drive and direct, I haven't had any experience with a belt drive, but I reckon the thing about pulling the vinyl back isn't really true. I mean it's true, but if you can save yourself a bit of money by buying a belt drive, I am sure you can spend that extra 5 second movin the needle back a bit with a belt drive. So basically I say you should just get the cheapest turntable you can, and buy a cart depending on what you want the sample to sound like i.e crisp or gritty.

just make sure u dnt get an automatic turntable(arm lifts up when you hold the platter/record) and youll be alright. Get a direct drive stanton 60s theyre cheap.

Stanton tables?

I think I going to roll with the Stanton STR8-80X High Torque Direct Drive Turntable for $199.99? Would that table be a GREAT buy for sampling purposes only? Not a cheap belt-drive turntable but not an expensive direct-drive? Holla at cha boy and let me know what's real Thanks!

GoGetta Just get any turntable and the get a real good cart and you'll be straight.

yeah that $199 direct drive would probly be good because anything cheaper then that is built with a cheap plastic body that creates a lot of sound problems when sampling. the cheaper build of a turntable(plastic) equals more bass rumbling and feedback.

Srt8 or curved arm?

For a table that will be used for sampling purposes only, would it matter if the arm on the table is str8 or curved? What are some good cartridge's to buy with my Stanton8-80X? The Stanton8-80X doesn't come with a cartridge. So do u think it would be better to buy the Stanton STR8-80+520SK the same as the Stanton8-80X but this particular Stanton will come with a cartridge but will cost $50 more or should I just get a cartridge seperate? Holla at cha boy and let me know what's real Thanks!

Back