timestretching

johnny lingo

i am seriously considering a mpc 2000 xl...the whole reason why is because i want to utilize the timestretching...can any 2000xl users elaborate on the timestretching and how fast it is?...i currently use reason 3.0 and a cracked cool edit, so looking to go hardware...peace

id also like to know this....what is the proper way to use timestrecthing?

say i have a sample and i have a horn stab....when i hit the pad it plays but its not matching up to the drums. So i would timestretch it correct?

I've never really used it on my mpc 1000 and i want to get familiar with it

the time stretch on the 2000xl takes the original sample and creates a new sample with the time stretch applied to it. it takes a while to process and uses percentages instead of bpm ( there may be a way to stretch by bpm i haven't looked that deep into it) for example if you want your time stretch at a higher tempo then you would input 90% (the tempo would then be 90% of the original) plus it takes a while to process

MPC 2000XL time stretch

Yeah, I don't think you can timestretch in MPC 2000XL by BPM, you will have to do it in percentages. Honestly, I would stick to software programs to effectively use time stretch. It takes too long to process on the XL just to find out you need 80% time stretch instead of 90%...I do all of my sampling and time stretching on my cpu and I save them in either wav, aiff or snd files and then import them into my MPC. You can use almost any wave/audio editor to do this.

I like reaper for timestretching.. just add your sample to the track alt click the end and drag to where you want.. done.

explain that one more time, what do u mean the end. Not being funny i got reaper and havent timestretched on yet. Is ti really that simple? Wow

Austin Peaks said:
explain that one more time, what do u mean the end. Not being funny i got reaper and havent timestretched on yet. Is ti really that simple? Wow
Drag the end of the clip.

I'm selling my s3000 it time stretches. Its like a rack version of a mpc 2000. If interested ill sell it for $200 you'll save around $500 by not buying the mpc instead

Here is how I personally use timestreatch for almost every beat I make..

First I get a sample and loop it,once the sample is looped and I know the BPM
I go into timestreatch and streatch the sample to the tempo I want..
The I chop it..

Another useful timestreatch use is to get a one shot short sounds (like a bass note)
and go into timestreatch and streatch it as much as I can slower.
It will then create a long bass note out of the short one..

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance I don't use time stretching but why time stretch and then chop wouldn't it make more sense to chop and then time stretch the gaps?

Xabiton said:
Excuse my ignorance I don't use time stretching but why time stretch and then chop wouldn't it make more sense to chop and then time stretch the gaps?

but the time you do all the you probaly would not feel like making a beat anymore. lol

^Then leave to those who have and will utilize it but nice thought lol but if you do it your way you'll need an entire day

the sp 202 had the best timestretch feature of all the samplers i've used... just push a button and twist a knob, done!

ejames said:
Yeah, I don't think you can timestretch in MPC 2000XL by BPM, you will have to do it in percentages. Honestly, I would stick to software programs to effectively use time stretch. It takes too long to process on the XL just to find out you need 80% time stretch instead of 90%...I do all of my sampling and time stretching on my cpu and I save them in either wav, aiff or snd files and then import them into my MPC. You can use almost any wave/audio editor to do this.
Can you explain the percentages more? Would a 100% timestretch on an XL mean 10x as long? 90% 9 times etc? Or how do the percentages translate exactly?

not really... on the 2000xl the default setting sample time is 100% so if you wanted to make the sample longer you'd have to set your percentage above 100 if you wanted a faster tempo you set your percentage below 100. it works inversely of bpm, if you want a higher bpm set your percentage lower and for lower bpm set your percentage higher... hope that makes sense

Coventry Woods said:
Can you explain the percentages more? Would a 100% timestretch on an XL mean 10x as long? 90% 9 times etc? Or how do the percentages translate exactly?

at 100% your sample would stay the same at 90% your sample length would be compressed by 10%, at 50% your sample length would be half of the original and so on...

if anybody has a link to this 'reaper' i would appreciate it, i have cool edit and FL8 and the only way i know to time stretch is in FL, and the only options it gives you are like 1 bar 2 bar etc...if anyone can help out im as lost as these guys and i know timestretching would help me greatly

Back