SP 1200 vs MPC (For Drums)

word man. but i think it all comes down to the producer. sorry to bring it up again but pete rock used both the mpc and the sp 1200 and no matter what machine he used it seemed as if his drums never changed . they were prety much all raw. but again i wouldnt know i havent personally jumped on a sp1200 but from what i hear its much more dirty.

I have a SP12 Turbo. Same thing, but a lot less memory. I use this and and s950 to sample almost all my drums.
But I am planning to get a MPC 3000 or 60 to sequence. For programming the MPC can't be beat. It has that feel that replicated but never duplicated. I plan on using the sp12 or s950 to sample drums(depends on the sound I'm looking for), but use the MPC and s950(again) for all other samples. And control everything with the MPC via midi. That's my plan

i've been a big fan of DJ Muggs.. he was using SP1200.. Premier drums haven't been all that for me. i'd say SP.

dwells said:
I have a SP12 Turbo. Same thing, but a lot less memory. I use this and and s950 to sample almost all my drums.
But I am planning to get a MPC 3000 or 60 to sequence. For programming the MPC can't be beat. It has that feel that replicated but never duplicated. I plan on using the sp12 or s950 to sample drums(depends on the sound I'm looking for), but use the MPC and s950(again) for all other samples. And control everything with the MPC via midi. That's my plan

thats a great idea . if i had the money for the sp12 or 1200 combo . i would love the 12 bit grit. and do the programing onthe 1k

dwells said:
It has that feel that replicated but never duplicated. I plan on using the sp12 or s950 to sample drums(depends on the sound I'm looking for),
sir may i ask where do YOU get your drums from? you say sample drums, so i'm guesssin its from records... i guess what i'm askin for is a startin board from where to get MY drums from.. like i sed in another post i hav mary poppin n sound of music but i couldn't find any drums on there? any ideas? what do i look for?

oNe

Yo,
observ thats what I'm gong to be doin. I'm going to use tax return and most likely get an sp1200 alonside my mpc1k.

Everywhere. That's where I get my drums. Vinyl (old funk and soul, sampling cds (yes,I admit it. I run it from the computer to the sp12 or s950), Even other hiphop albums.
Usually I use several drums for one part. I stack my drums(layer). Sometimes I use 4 bass kick,4 snare, etc you get the idea.

Check my site.
http://www.trashaudio.com

No one could say anything about my drum sounds. My melodies and sampling, I could improve.

d.Wells

hey dwellz as far as sound is concerned how much of a difference is there between your s950, and 1200 considering that you use both, and own both? and two how easy is the s950 to use?

d.Wellz - I like that.

I don't have a 1200, I have 12 Turbo. Same thing,except it has a lot less memory, built in sounds, and a piece of **** 5.25 drive.

The sp12 has that sound be cause of the 12-bit and its filters(digital to analog)

The s950 also is 12-bit and has an adjustable sampling rate 7.5 kHz to 48 kHz. So I can change the 'brightness" of the drums. Also its a "regular" sampler, so I can adjust the pitch of a drum simply by pressing a key. It has great filters(eq).

Both are cheap second-hand.
the sp12 runs for an average of $400 and the s950 about $300
meaning you could pick both up for less than a mpc 1000.

Back