RS7000/XL-7 Vs. MC909

Atari Tech

(not sure about which forum to put this in but this seems to be the closest match)

After demoing the motif i've decided not to get it, and narrowed it down to two options (i currently have the XL-7)

1) Keep the XL-7, and purchase the RS7000

or

2)Sell the XL-7 , and purchase the MC909

My two questions are which of the two options i should pursue? and whether the cost of the RS7000 used and pwhat i would get for the XL would this match the price of the 909 used?

First of all, what are you trying to do? Do you want a new groovebox to play with or are you trying to add sampling capability to your setup?

If so and you are satisfied with the XL-7, I'd suggest hanging onto it and just adding an external sampler to it. Then you could sequence the sampler through MIDI with the XL-7. Will be cheaper and you stick with what works with you - that is, if it works for you.

Plus, that route is cheaper as well.

The reason i'm leaning toward a groovebox is that i don't like the ergonomics of rack samplers. i like the way that the samplers on the grooveboxes are set up, so a rack sampler is not an option for me, and i like the xl-7 as a synth more than as a sequencer (i've gotten excellent pads out of it) and the main appeal of the 909 is that the sampler is intergrated into the synth (so for example you can layer a backwards vocal sample over an evolving pad and have it be controlled by the same synth patch) can the rs do that or is the sampler more limited?

Back