roland MC-808 or mpc1000

F

fhinspectit

been looking at the roland mc 808 at g.center and it seems hot. seems to offer alot more than the mpc1000 and just cost a hundred dollars more. I don't know much about the mpc1000, anyone familar with the mc 808 and how does it compare to the mpc1000.

Man you can go wrong with the mpc1000,best mpc for the buck.
a TON of features,most of the good stuff on the 25k u got in the 1k.

MPC1000 is a great machine. And at about $1000 (500-700 used), the MPC1k is a great choice for Akai pads. But do not let the MPC Akai brand name, and MPC whores keep you ignorant of other sampling hardware...

MC-808 is newer technology being recently released from Roland's new line of gear for about $1100.00. Have you ever tried the 909? Well, the 808 is very similar for a few hundred less and half the size making more portable. From what I understand, has more polyphony than the 909 and borrows sampling/sequencer capabilities like it too. Throw in Motorized faders, D-beam, USB and compact flash, with software for both MAC and PC to allow sample and patched editing and being able to swap files back n forth makes it a plus.

I'm not sure if the 808 borrows the same synth section as the 909 which is basically XV synth with SRX expansion capabilities. If the 808 does not share this, i'd suggest looking into the 909 instead for like $200 extra. Having a sampler and the XV section in one box is slick, especially for a streamlined studio.

Both the MPC1000 and the MC808 are awesome for live performance. Again, PRICE AND FEATURES to each end user is what one should be looking for. Just cuz it bares the MPC name, doesn't mean it's always better.

I own (have owned) Akai and Roland samplers, I've never had regrets with either of them since my first MPC60 and S-330 lol

"In the end, it's not the hardware, it's creativity that matters..."

mc 909 4 sale

the unit fully loaded i dont have the box I will let it go for $800 and shipping to ship it

ceezthegreat said:
the unit fully loaded i dont have the box I will let it go for $800 and shipping to ship it
If you wont it come get it

Last edited:
The MC808 has a full synth engine onboard as well as a decent sampler. Live performance is quite easy, via the track mute buttons.

Me, I own an MC-909, and just bought an MPC1000. I'm gonna use the MPC to sequence a few pieces of neglected gear to see if I can come up with some cool stuff. It (the MPC) works quite well with external gear.

The 808/909 are more of an "all-in-one" box, with the sounds and sequencing all within the one unit. They can talk to another piece fairly easily via MIDI, but they have only 16 tracks (as opposed to the MPC's 64 tracks). The polyphony of the Roland units is 64, as opposed to the Akais' 32. The sound of the built-in effects of the Roland units are much better.

So, here's what I say: if you are trying to sequence some units besides just the one, use the MPC. It supports more than itself gracefully. If you're just gonna work with a single piece for a while, the Roland units (MC808, MC909) could possibly be better for you.

Hope this helps. I own both, and they both have their strengths.

-Hoax

The 808 is a pretty cool unit. I think it would be a great piece to learn on. I basically learned on an old mc-303. You will most likely outgrow it though. MPC's are kind of classic machines that people tend to use for a long long time. You may want to pick up a 1000 and then later on you could add a rack sound module. I've looked into both and if I was going to pick up one or the other I'd probably go with the 1000. I dunno though I can never make up my mind though so it may change tommorow...lol

the 808 needs to be connected to the pc for full functionality but the mpc is more of a standalone device.

Back