Quantizing on the MPC

M

McRob

Hey guys I was playing around with the classic MPC 2000 and I had the quantize on 1/16th and it seems that it makes the timing so perfect. How is it with the MPC 1000 the quantizing option turned on with 1/16th it could throw your drum loop of the beat? Its not as good as the 2000xl. Could there be an update that could fix the problem?

the next update for mpc 1000 is said to have improved MIDI timing apparently. personally i dont have any problem with the timing of the 1k. Akai say that all MPCs have the same MIDI timing, but if thats true why would they be updating the 1k's..?

i used one at a guitar center and if elt just like my 2000xl only in a crazy small package.
i was very impressed.

I dont get it *confused*

I brought my MPC 1000 to a friends place and he owns a MPC 2000. We tried recording on both and the quantizing was so much better than the 1000. The timing was dead on perfect on the 2000 with the quantize on. We recorded an 8 bar loop and we did the same on the 2000 and the quantizing timing would throw the beat off big time on 1/16 swing 50%. I dont understand how with the rest of you guys that owns it, the quantizing is fine, with mines turned on the timing can be ****ed up sometimes. I dont know man I updated the version to the latest version: (OS Version 1.07)The previous versions, are they necessary too download and update as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
did you have them midi'd together?... and using one clock? or were you just hiting start at the same time?

Im not recording to the computer.

Ok in the option how you either use it too drums or midi, I chose midi if thats answering your question. There all set to the midi setting

?....... i'm talking if you midi both mpc's to each other and use one as master clock and one as slave you should be straight.

No were not doing that, we would plug in the MPC 1000 then plug out the 2000, then vice versa

sorry i'm not understanding.... so your not midi'd up so your using 2 seperate midi clocks (the mpc's)
and your matching them up in what?
what are you recording to that is messing up?... what are you controling via midi you said you had them both set to midi, maybe your geting latencey.

oh i think i get it now. your saying you took the same 8 bar sample loop an tried it on both and it didn't come out the same. was it the exact same sample or did you resample it?

Im recording in the MPC, you know how you hold PLAY then you press REC or OVERDUB.For example a 2 bar loop I play my drum pattern then after the 2nd bar you know how it automatically goes too overdub, then I just press STOP.
What I mean by the midi option is you know in the main menu how it shows the sequence, then below there is an option where you set it too either drum or midi, I chose midi but I dont think that has too do with my problem.

setting that to midi means your controling an external midi device via the mpc pads. first i wouldn't do by hiting play and rec i would do it by play start and record so you get your countdown. my be it's your timining not the mpcs?.....

nope actually it isnt our timing. My friend would play the same timing on both and the timing would be off on the 1000. It doesnt really bother me much cause I play with it off. I would make like a 2 bar loop then just copying the bars then make it like 4 bars.

that is "Weird"... The 1000 is VERY fine timing-wise on my end...

Are you SURE the T.C. settings (F1 on main screen) are not set to some weird swing number?

Last time someone posted a "mpc1000 timing sucks" thread, we ALL realized the problem was simply that the person was not using the click... He was tapping things at an arbitrary tempo, when the real tempo was different and the click turned off... of course he did not know.. No need to say the TC/Quantization sounded off! Not an mpc problem, a user error.

I wouldnt be surprised if you realized an option was set wrong.. If timing was that bad it would be a known thing!

This, or you need to return your MPC1000 and get a new one.

Im not posting a timing sucks thread, Im just asking if anyone has ever came across a problem like that. It doesnt bother me cause I turn it off, and yes I use the click option. I can make a perfect loop with an mpc. The swing number is 50%

quantize

how do u quantize on the mpc 1000?

does anyone know how to quantize on the mpc 1000?

on an mpc 1000...say i take a sample, how to i set the tempo to the same?

Back