MPC 60 vs MPC 2000 XL

DaOriginalBlade

You're Forgiven
Ok, let me start off by saying I'm a hip hop producer new to sampling (funny sh!t huh?). But in turn I'm very interested to get even deeper into production starting with an MPC. I was gonna get the 2000XL.. then I hurd abuot the 60. I dunno if the price is different.. but i HURD the 60 is like for more grimey sounds. Thats kinda wat i'm lookin for.. dont get me wrong. I'm not on these cats level but my style is geared toward Dr Dre, Premo and Havoc, but I also like to pop off a little neptunes, kanye west like soul (not saying I jock all these people.. so dont turn this thread into 50 posts about get your own style.. i'm just naming the sounds and vibes i like from my fav producers!) every now and then. What are the differences between the 60 and the 2000XL and which one should i go with? Whats the difference between sequencers, sampling abilities, interface, etc etc. Thanks for all the help... PEACE-1!

The 2000XL wont give you that Neptunes sound, it gives you more of a muted sound, like what you hear in a lot of the dull underground hip hop records floating around. The 60 will give you crisper sound despite its 12-bit status. It only gets grainy on kicks (and its a good grainy), nothing that a little compression in ProTools or your tracker of choice cant solve. 60 is way more proffesional, both in feel and sound.

Trip on this link...

http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/apr00/articles/tracks.htm

2000 can be punchy if you know what your doing.
On it's own its very acurate.What you put is what you get out.
People say the 60 sounds like 2inch tape.wich is good.
Both have plus,and minus's just decide witch features you need most.
Make sure the 60 is in good shape if you go that routt.They are old.
With the 60 you wil need an outboard filter,since it has none.
If you want gritty drums,and have something else to sequence with you could always get a 12bit rack of your choice,and save a boatload.
I know a guy who has both the 2000xl,and 60.He does'nt see an adavantage from one to the other.

Ok a few more questions... number 1 being.. do u really think the MPC sequencer outbeats those of digital sequencers (Cubase, etc.)? I started out with computed sequencing so leaving what you start with can be iffy.. (especially since I just bought a new PC.. but I'll need it anyway for vocal recording). #2 what are you guys main sample source... cd's? I haven't had much hand in this part of production but I know most cats use vinyl and sample old drum kits and sh!t.. what else do you guys sample from vinyl (btw can I hook up a table to the MPC 60?) #3 (this one sorta directed to people who track their **** IE MrKasual).. i've seen on some of your post that you track with ProTools LE... I'm a PC head.. I was wondering if you have a reccomendation for tracking my MPCprojects (what connections does the 60 have to run thru to the PC).. I was thinking about Cubase SL from the start. #4 is the MPC 60 even in stores anymore.. I went to AkaiPro and they dont have it listed under their products just the 4,2, and 3000. I think I'll go with the 60 but what comes with the full upgrade? I'm runnin low on budget here.. I was lookin thru some old album sleeves and saw a pic of dre with an MPC I believe it was a 2000.. it coulda been a 3.. I dunno.. and he was surrounded by a room FULL of vinyl. I love dope guitar (bass and acoustic) sounds.. where yall get those best samples.. u reccomend gettin a module with this.. I was thinking Emu MoPhatt for price and quality.. or a Motif Rack is I get lucky.. or extra funds. Well thanks for the help.. Peace-1!

1. I've only had experience doing drums on Redrum in Reason, it cant compare to the sequencing on any MPC, 60, 2000, 3000. End of story. MPCs get your groove started on the right tip.

2. I sample everything. I specialize in vinyl just because I have such an extensive collection (djing/collecting since 93)and i like the sound, but i throw in some tweaked mo phatt/xl lead (i have a proteuse model sound module) and KorgMS2000 sounds here and there, layering them with the vinyl samples for good measure, there are no rules. I even prefer doing basslines with the slider on the MPC.

3. Cubase will work, if it has a grid function and a beat measure function, it should be fine.

4. Youll have to get the 60 used, but they are built like tanks (at least the original 60, never palyed with a 60II), most will probably come equipped with the latest OS, which turns it into a MPC3000 function wise. Just get used to disk swapping if there is no SCSI option installed. Its not a big deal. They should go for about 600 to 800 bucks on eBay. Thats a steal.

Good luck.

Hmmm.. I think I'll save my money for the 3000. I don't like buying used products. Whats the big diff between that in the 2000. I like stabley built machines and I hear the 3000 is a tank. Oh ya.. MrKasualUltra when I was saying whether u prefered seq. on the MPC or with a dig sequencer.. I meant all your **** (synths, sampled guitars, etc.) not just the drums. Do u prefer sequencing EVERYTHING.. thru the MPC? Do u sample bass and acoustics thru vinyl? Wat else you like to sample off vinyl.. i've never really fuqqed with hookin up the tables to my complete setup. Would U reccomend me start with this MPC or go the synth/computer route. I wont have a deep vinyl collection to start out with. I was gonna get a Motif Rack.. but the MPC will take a big cut out of the budget... maybe i'll go with the MoPhatt but I don't know if that'll cut it as my stand alone module. Oh ya.. one more question.. when u got something layed on your MPC do u save it to a ZIP.. or do u import it str8 to Pro Tools and save it to CD-R. I know u can do it either way.. just askin which way u prefer.. u know if you'd be able to go back and make adjustments (thru ur MPC pads) if you had saved it thru your digital sequencer? (Does this confuse u or do i just sound like a complete @$$?) Ah well.. thanks and big ups for the continual help.. just tryin to build my setup the right way.. i'm sure you can second me on that one. Thanks for the continual help. Peace-1 homies!

MS2000 Rack

Kasual
I read than you phuck with the Korg MS2000,
I was wondering how you could sequence more than just one sound from that midi, is there a way? If so how? Is the ms2000 monotimbral or what?:confused: can any one shed some light?
Thanks folks

DaOriginalBlade said:
Hmmm.. I think I'll save my money for the 3000. I don't like buying used products. Whats the big diff between that in the 2000. I like stabley built machines and I hear the 3000 is a tank. Oh ya.. MrKasualUltra when I was saying whether u prefered seq. on the MPC or with a dig sequencer.. I meant all your **** (synths, sampled guitars, etc.) not just the drums. Do u prefer sequencing EVERYTHING.. thru the MPC? Do u sample bass and acoustics thru vinyl? Wat else you like to sample off vinyl.. i've never really fuqqed with hookin up the tables to my complete setup. Would U reccomend me start with this MPC or go the synth/computer route. I wont have a deep vinyl collection to start out with. I was gonna get a Motif Rack.. but the MPC will take a big cut out of the budget... maybe i'll go with the MoPhatt but I don't know if that'll cut it as my stand alone module. Oh ya.. one more question.. when u got something layed on your MPC do u save it to a ZIP.. or do u import it str8 to Pro Tools and save it to CD-R. I know u can do it either way.. just askin which way u prefer.. u know if you'd be able to go back and make adjustments (thru ur MPC pads) if you had saved it thru your digital sequencer? (Does this confuse u or do i just sound like a complete @$$?) Ah well.. thanks and big ups for the continual help.. just tryin to build my setup the right way.. i'm sure you can second me on that one. Thanks for the continual help. Peace-1 homies!

1.I sequence EVERYTHING FROM THE MPC!!!! All im really sequencing though is my s1100 sampler. I dont really use to much midi. Maybe for a bass line or something. But using midi is super simple on an MPC.

2.I save my sequence on zip as an MPC file for future tweaking, and record track by track onto Pro Tools, flexible enough. Pro Tools allows nice editing. Get your bpm and grid setup correctly, and you can really get busy, break down the grid into 1/64 and start taking out half of a sanre here, cross two kicks in reverse over there, etc...cant do that **** with midi

3. If your on a budget a 2000XL is good enough. If your not going to sample vinyl, Reason and Logic/Cubase would be good enough.

4. I sample everything, my sound modules, records, dvds, etc....
I would recommend copping a MO PHATT to get started and maybe a vintage keys expansion rom to go with it....youll have drums, keys, stabs, bass tones, youll be set, from there if you feel like your missing something, you can always start a little record collection.

5. I GOT TWO NEW BEATS UP AT THE SITE, CHECK THE LINK BELOW!!!

Re: MS2000 Rack

wellversed said:
Kasual
I was wondering how you could sequence more than just one sound from that midi, is there a way? If so how? Is the ms2000 monotimbral or what?:confused: can any one shed some light?
Thanks folks

I dont realy sequence, i play a couple notes on it, sample it, then go from there. :D

Ok.. thanks ALOT for the help.. now for a technical question, looks like I'm getting the 2000 XL. What do you reccomend I get with that, a zip drive, more memory? See I plan on tracking my **** onto Cubase BUT I don't have a zip drive on my PC. Is that a problem? How would I transfer my MPC files onto the computer, thru midi? Or what cables/soundcard would I need. I'm also worried about gettin the whole song track by track onto my dig sequencer. I'm worried it will transfer all as one track.. how do u get past this? Can u save beats directly onto the MPCs HD? I'ma get the MoPhatt too.. I'll prolly be in debt if I got the Motif. I'll prolly start another thread for alot of table reccomendations. But what table would u reccomend for me to get. I'm not gonna scratch or anything.. just using it strictly for production/sampling purposes! Once again thanks-a-MILLION for the help.. btw I'm really feeling that smoother beat MrKas.. I like the vibe to it.. but listenin to those Hi-Fi files with dialup can be a b!tch sometimes.. hopefully I can get broadband soon. Good lookin'- Peace-1!

A mo phatt and 2000XL will keep you busy for a couple of months....good choice.

1. Get a external SCSI zip drive for your MPC, here you can save your sounds and sequences. Then you can chain the SCSI to a CD drive from the ZIp and still load sounds from the internal 3.5" and save em to zip.

2.Upgrade the XL to full memory and try to cop the 8 out board if possible. If not, track the beat one MPC track at a time, soloing each as you go alnog and line em up after. The eb16 is a waste of money, your better off buying an external effects unit and running your signals through it. Lexicon got some cheap units.

3. You need to make a decision, will you be recording audio or midi data to Cubase??? Either way you need some sort of break out box to feed midi and audio to your comp for tracking. I killed all the trouble and got a Digi 001. Check out M-Audio stuff.

4. How are you gonna play the MO Phatt, get a cheap keyboard to play midi notes into your MPC and out into the MO Phatt.

5. Get a mixer!!!! Behringer is good quality and cheap, best value out there.

5. Yeah Smoother is a cool ditty, thanks. I havent figured out how to bounce lo-fi ram files from ProTools yet, im working on it.

Good luck.

Is the external zip drive a must-have right away? Is this better than gettin the internal drive or does that deplete the 3.5" drive. I'm gonna record audio and midi cuz I gotta record vocals so I need some good interface with a micpreamp. Then u speak of a behringer mixer .. some of those come with mic preamps. Do I really need this.. I was gonna get the MAudio Radium controller which comes loaded with sliders and mix down in Cubase.. or is the behringer better (I'm not used to mixers with just knobs how exactly do those damn things work.) Only thing I'm concerned with about the MoPhatt is strings and sounds that usually come packed on big time modules (like orchestra sounds, bass, acoustic, pads, leads) I'm hoping I'll be albe to find some good **** off vinyl!!!!! I got it pretty much unraveled I'm just confused on how to hook the MPC to my PC. It has no USB or nuthin... do I hook it up to my controller (usb) or interface.... or do i need the mixer.? **** sorry for all the questions man.. I started out strictly with midi/audio sequencing this is my first time to really dabble with sampling and hardware sequencing. You don't know how much i appreciate this continual help :cheers: I'm trying to get more diverse in the production world.. I'm sick of the same old modules and stuff at the lab. I'm strictly hip hop and most the big tymers use this stuff NOT that I follow the golden path.. just a change.. somethin new.. somethin fun. And how can u go wrong with an MPC. Thanks again.. Peace-1!

I've had an mpc for 6 years now- the 3000 is the better built machine but the 2000xl will do just fine.

Forget the 3.5 drive and get the zip if you plan on sampling.

The 3000 nor the 2000xl have internal HD's (thats the 4000)

A nice attachment is the external cdrom if you use akai sample libraries.

The sequencer is the main purpose of getting an MPC. its timing and midi sync are what you are buying it for.

You do not have to get the effects card but smpte and 8outs might be necc.

it is not essential for hip hop if you have average engineering know-how. if you have reason AND recycle then you might wanna go for the MPD-16 from Akai- reason's 2.0 clock is pretty decent but it is 2steps behind roger linn.

DaOriginalBlade said:
Is the external zip drive a must-have right away? Is this better than gettin the internal drive or does that deplete the 3.5" drive. I'm gonna record audio and midi cuz I gotta record vocals so I need some good interface with a micpreamp. Then u speak of a behringer mixer .. some of those come with mic preamps. Do I really need this.. I was gonna get the MAudio Radium controller which comes loaded with sliders and mix down in Cubase.. or is the behringer better (I'm not used to mixers with just knobs how exactly do those damn things work.) Only thing I'm concerned with about the MoPhatt is strings and sounds that usually come packed on big time modules (like orchestra sounds, bass, acoustic, pads, leads) I'm hoping I'll be albe to find some good **** off vinyl!!!!! I got it pretty much unraveled I'm just confused on how to hook the MPC to my PC. It has no USB or nuthin... do I hook it up to my controller (usb) or interface.... or do i need the mixer.? **** sorry for all the questions man..

SLOW DOWN!!! YOUR GETTING AHEAD OF YOURSELF.

1.Get the MPC and sound module/sample CDs/vinyl (whichever one you want), make some beats, master the MPC before anything, get a external zip drive to save your sequences and sounds.

2. Get an M-AUDIO BREAKOUT DEVICE , so you can record audio and midi to cubase from your MPC and edit/re sequence/engineer there.

Think of the MPC as a band and Cubase as a recorder. Worry about all the other stuff later.

;)

keep it simple at first

master the MPC as a standalone device before you add other stuff

you gotta do this to truly mster it and get its feel

like someone else said around here.... limitations provide creativity and motivation

Re: MS2000 Rack

wellversed said:
Kasual
Thanks folks

NOnoNO, it´s 4 voices polyphony actually.
if you have to set the patches to single, then you may play 4 patches/programs at once.
if you have dual or split voices you can assign how it will split the polyphony: 1+3, 2+2, 3+1 and on which MIDI channels they will be triggered.
keep in mind that with DUAL programs you have both timbres lit, respective you *can* switch timbres.
you have to have chosen the right timbre before/when you start editing the assign of the voices.

if you have four single programs you may assign different MIDI channels to each voice.
editing voices for this purpose is pretty bitchy on MS2k and it´s a
bit of a pain in the a$$ when starting.
once you dig it, it´s no more hassle.

check out the mod sequencer which is *really* cool and me likes the "virtual patch" function
which let´s you patch voices alike modular systems-- a little bit at least.

if you´ve got more questions about-- feel free...

best, lasher

Last edited:
Re: Re: MS2000 Rack

lasher said:

NOnoNO, it´s 4 voices polyphony actually.
if you have to set the patches to single, then you may play 4 patches/programs at once.
if you have dual or split voices you can assign how it will split the polyphony: 1+3, 2+2, 3+1 and on which MIDI channels they will be triggered.
keep in mind that with DUAL programs you have both timbres lit, respective you *can* switch timbres.
you have to have chosen the right timbre before/when you start editing the assign of the voices.

best, lasher

There you have it, the **** I dont understand....

Hey Lasher, do you know how to save patches on the MS.

MS2k-- saving

simply say write.
then the MS will ask you where to write, suggesting the same place- overwrite!!
if you´re not lucky with results you can reload the factory-presets for each program with the "memory load" function.

best, lasher

LOL, dont you guys read the fuggin manuals?
:cheers:

Last edited:
Back