MPC 4000: how accurate sampler?

Entropybeats

Hello FP people, I was just looking info on the sampling resolution of the 4000, let me explain first what im talking about:

When I had 2500, I sold it mainly because there was empty spaces in the chops I made. Like I looked for the tempo on the amount of samples and it was supposed to be the right tempo and when played in 16 chops there was empty spaces between the samples and it didnt sound good. Im very HiFist on these type of things, so I want the best quality.

Now if theres any person here that has 4000 and could do a little test for me I would appriciate it. First of all, just find a loop, doesnt really matter how long it is. Then go to

mp3(dot)deepsound(dot)net/eng/samples_calculs.php

Then put the amount of samples (exact please) "[FONT=Verdana,Arial]To find the bpm of a loop when its length in samples is known"

Now when you have that tempo found, just slice your loop into 16 equal chops. Then play the 16 chops and quantize everything so that it would be the same as the loop. Now do you heard spaces or some other sound between the chops or is it smooth as it would be when looped? Thanks.

And btw, isnt the sample resolution the effectable factor on this type of stuff?

Entropy
[/FONT]

Last edited:
So basically u sold the 2500 cause ur not good at choppin samples? If u weren't any good on the 2500, ur not going to be any better on the 4000. It's the man, not the machines. I've used a 2500, 2000 classic, FL, Reason, Live, Audition, i'm just as good at choppin samples on one as i am the other. I'm not tryin to diss you, but the 2500 is as good at choppin samples as anything else. It's the man, not the machine. Sorry, don't have a 4000 where i can run ur test, but if i understand what u wrote, it's not gonna equal great chops since human played instruments don't nessicarily fall exactly on the beat.
LevLove

Last edited:
no..

I sold it because FL studio chopped more accurately my samples, and my creativy could be bringed up more with FL studio, cause it was better doing what I wanted it to do,

I explained what I was looking for at my 1st post.

I think You will be in the same boat as your MPC 2500. I own a 1k and 4k and have access to a 25k whenever I need it. The key to chopping your samples comes down to skill and techniques in the machine you are using. I know FL makes it pretty easy to do. The MPC in my opnion is easier because its what I know. When you sample something in and you want to play it back to sound like a loop on the MPC you should set it so each pad turns off the next pad when you hit it. Also don't confine yourself to a tempo the machine says. Everytime I chop a sample I play it at a BPM I choose not what it says it should be. I hate to say this, but this did come down to a matter of your chopping skills vs what the machine could do, your quantize and swing settings could come into play. Hopefully I have giving you some insight on how to get more out of a MPC. You can also do the same thing on a 1k with no problem.

bhunt said:
I think You will be in the same boat as your MPC 2500. I own a 1k and 4k and have access to a 25k whenever I need it. The key to chopping your samples comes down to skill and techniques in the machine you are using. I know FL makes it pretty easy to do. The MPC in my opnion is easier because its what I know. When you sample something in and you want to play it back to sound like a loop on the MPC you should set it so each pad turns off the next pad when you hit it. Also don't confine yourself to a tempo the machine says. Everytime I chop a sample I play it at a BPM I choose not what it says it should be. I hate to say this, but this did come down to a matter of your chopping skills vs what the machine could do, your quantize and swing settings could come into play. Hopefully I have giving you some insight on how to get more out of a MPC. You can also do the same thing on a 1k with no problem.

Trust me dude, I know how to chop samples, just go to youtube and type entropy beats, theres some of my remixes showing what I can chop with FL, it aint about that I couldnt chop on MPC (the learning curve was pretty easy), theres just spaces between my samples as I said before when chopping with 2500. Dont know if its the fault of the resolution or just something else.

Like I said before, Im type of dude that wants the most accurate sounding stuff. Still I love the feeling of MPC, even though I sold it, actually I might even consider purchasing 1000, now that JJ 2 has released.:rolleyes:

doesn't seem like you want to hear it, but the MPC isn't the problem...not doubting your ability to chop, but FL and the MPC are different...but you can get accurate chops on any MPC if you know how...believe me...It may not do it automatically as accurately as you like but it can easily do it...sounds like you're using an auto-slice function...which generally calls for some tweaking on most most machines...I have not used the 2500, the only one I haven't touched...the 4000 is pretty accurate, just as accurate as the others i've used...in fact, my friend who can't chop for ****...did pretty well with the 4000....all in knowing how to use what you have

Last edited:
zionproductions said:
doesn't seem like you want to hear it, but the MPC isn't the problem...not doubting your ability to chop, but FL and the MPC are different...but you can get accurate chops on any MPC if you know how...believe me...It may not do it automatically as accurately as you like but it can easily do it...sounds like you're using an auto-slice function...which generally calls for some tweaking on most most machines...I have not used the 2500, the only one I haven't touched...the 4000 is pretty accurate, just as accurate as the others i've used...in fact, my friend who can't chop for ****...did pretty well with the 4000....all in knowing how to use what you have

I aint using auto-slice function in FL studio no, I always chop manually.

But im really thinkin of switching my style from using quantize and other **** to using nothing. You get your own swing to beats when you use no such thing as quantizing. Its pretty cool, maybe I should just cop an MPC 1000 and try different styles.:o

But you guys are right,

maybe when always trying to make **** too accurate, it doesnt sound yours, it doesnt have much or not at all human in it.

But still the 1000/2500 96PPQ vs 4000´s 960PPQ gotta mean something right?

^^true...higher resolution to the 4000...which may or may not be much of much concern to you....

I'm sure with practice you;ll be able to get what you want out of the MPC (any of them)...at the same time...a good midi controller and decent software will get you the same results if that's more your cup of tea

Learning how to/when to properly Quan. on some machines is a feat in itself, but well worth it. Once you master it on one, it will carry over to others...

Sorry if I sound like I was doubting your skills, I just have to go off the information you provide. I think it was more a matter of technique. You also have ADSR enevelops which can affect how smooth they play. If you still had your MPC I could easily guide you thought it. :) I don't recommend getting a 4k though. I barley use mine. Its all about the 1k and microkorg since the 1k got direct record. I slept on that feature but its magic.

Im going to be completely honest with you. Nothing was wrong with you MPC. In programs like FL its made a little easier. I have a 4000 and had some minor issues when I first got it. Its just a matter of taking the time and getting used to it. It kind of odd switching from CPU chopping to MP's so I understand what you are refering to. Just work @ it a lil mo dawg.

i THINK i may know what you mean, but not 100% sure but try this... if your loop is for example 75bpm, after you've chopped the sample: set the bpm on ur mpc above 85bpm (givin it an extra +10bpm). your 16 chops shouldnt (effectively) have gaps in em. if you can gain access to a mpc for a quick use, try it and see if it works, or like bhunt said you can play with the ADSR's, if not then boi i dunno, maybe jst stickin to FL would more convenient for u... (personal preference tho.)

the mpc's sample resolution would have nothing to do with spaces in between your chops....ever thought of making an adjustment to your tempo to fill in the gaps? just about every song that is on vinyl that people sample off of with the exception of songs where the rhythm is provided by some sort of drum machine or midi sequencer has imperfections in timing due to the fact that humans are not computers and do not play with 100% accurate timing.

Scarecrow is right, not to mention the fact that the PPQN resolution that you speak of is the midi resolution, which has nothing to do with audio.
LevLove

^^^though it is midi...wouldn't this particular midi info actually represents when that audio sample is triggered? So technically speaking, it would still affect audio in terms of how accurately the audio is triggered/quan?....anyway...we're all right in the sense that this is not the problem though...

actually the fact is this... and this does relate to MPC choppin skill not fl choppin skill.
the mpc range acutaully tails off the end of the samples you chop in the menu's you can set it to not do this but you also have to change the margin when you chop.... learn up on it holmes. and you'll be good to go.

Learn the MPC

Entropybeats said:
Trust me dude, I know how to chop samples, just go to youtube and type entropy beats, theres some of my remixes showing what I can chop with FL, it aint about that I couldnt chop on MPC (the learning curve was pretty easy), theres just spaces between my samples as I said before when chopping with 2500. Dont know if its the fault of the resolution or just something else.

Like I said before, Im type of dude that wants the most accurate sounding stuff. Still I love the feeling of MPC, even though I sold it, actually I might even consider purchasing 1000, now that JJ 2 has released.:rolleyes:
if you knew how to operate the 2500, you would know how to remove the empty space if your chops are off that much. Simple operator error!

mpc4000king said:
if you knew how to operate the 2500, you would know how to remove the empty space if your chops are off that much. Simple operator error!

haha, like I said yet again before, My sample that I sliced was perfectly in the place by mathematic calculators by sample, and still akais sampler left spaces between the samples, I can even demonstrate this to you if you dont believe

Entropybeats said:
haha, like I said yet again before, My sample that I sliced was perfectly in the place by mathematic calculators by sample, and still akais sampler left spaces between the samples, I can even demonstrate this to you if you dont believe
thats where you went wrong, all this math stuff, use your ears. i'm not going into the mathmatical choppin and where it can go wrong, done that in too many threads. people make music, not machines. if the machine is doing something wrong, it's not the machines fault, it's yours. plain and simple. you can get mad and dispute this fact all you want, you can 'trust me, i can chop' you can say what you want to refute this, but everyone on this board recognizes the problem except you. you're in denial. admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.
LevLove

LevLover said:
thats where you went wrong, all this math stuff, use your ears. i'm not going into the mathmatical choppin and where it can go wrong, done that in too many threads. people make music, not machines. if the machine is doing something wrong, it's not the machines fault, it's yours. plain and simple. you can get mad and dispute this fact all you want, you can 'trust me, i can chop' you can say what you want to refute this, but everyone on this board recognizes the problem except you. you're in denial. admitting you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.
LevLove

Ok, I respect your opinion, but as yet again I said before, Im always trying to go to perfection in my beats and the reason I even started this thread was because I wanted to know if the 4000 does better job than 2.5K, not to argue which one is better FL or MPC, or that I cant use MPC.

I use the MPC the way I do, and If it doesnt get the results I want or "Your doing it wrong, the fault is in you", then I appriciate your ways of beat making and stick to my FL studio, which is the best beat making program/machine I have ever come across, its great.

The mathematical and visual things help me in my beat making process.

It might be that I cant chop on MPC or do anything else, if that is what you guys want me to say, but fact Is I can make music using FL and that just tells me I should stick to It,

Hardwares beat making process is more fun, its more fun to use, but for me the final result is what matters.

Back