Making Akai Z8, Ak.Sys & Recycle work together

wilderness russ

Hi, i'm trying to figure out how i can slice a .wav file (a drum break) in Recycle, import the sliced hits and .akp program file into my Z8 over Ak.Sys, and have the .midi file in Cubase 4 triggering the slices in the Z8. I have gotten this far:

1. Slice file in Recycle, export as Akai .akp Program File with "export as one sample" deselected from Recycle's Process menu. This puts all the sliced hits (around 50 of them), an .akp file and a .midi file all into one folder.

2. I then select all of the contents of this folder and drag them into the Ak.Sys "Memory" section (they won't drag into any other section). This creates a Program with the same name as my sliced sound, a .midi file, but the "Sample" section only contains one slice for some reason. Ak.Sys says this sample is 00m 00s in length.

3. After setting the correct midi & audio ins/outs in Cubase 4, when I import the .midi file into Cubase and press play, all I hear is an extremely high pitched and extremely short sound being triggered repeatedly whilst climbing in pitch, sounding nothing like my sliced sound (a drum break) did in Recycle.

Why is there only one slice in the Sample section of Ak.Sys? There was 50 slices so shouldn't there be 50 in here? In the "Programs" section of Ak.Sys however it says there are 50 keygroups in the Program created, (the rest says "Program number: Off", and "Type: Keygroup"). When i enter the "Program" section on my Z8 and press "KGRP", all the slices are listed. However when i press "Sample" on the Z8 only the one sample previously mentioned is here. I have tried dragging the seperate sliced wav's over individually but to no avail.

I have checked all the slices exported from Recycle, all play fine through Quicktime.

Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong please?

EDIT: It's cool i've figured it out. For anyone in the future who encounters this problem, it was this:
I'd exported the break from Recycle as "thewinstons_amenbrother2.akp", it seems it was the length of the name of the file that was causing the problem. After i'd shortened it to "amen break", Ak.Sys loaded up all of the slices and now everything works fine.

Last edited:
Back