just got a mv 8800 any advice

hello just got a mv8800 like a week ago I read the manual so I getting to know it but wanted to know if any one out there had any advice about it. I have a mpc 3000 le and a sp1200 but lately I have use just the mpc 3000 and I not going to give it up just yet love the thing. I got my hand on the mv8800 for a good price and would have been sick if I would have let it go

thanks for the help

Last edited:
Yes, I can think of two things and I hope I explain it well.

1)Press Shift + Loop On Button: It'll bring you sequence looping window. With this, you don't really have to know the tempo of a sample. Given that you have a sample(s) already and you've mangled it however you want, just go ahead and lay the sample down however you like. Play your sequence from the beginning, and according to your ears, stop it wherever you want. When you stop it (don't go back to the beginning), look on your top left of the window. It'll give you the measures for where you stopped the track. Open up your seqeunce loop window and match that to the measures on the top left. Press the Loop On button so it becomes lit. Play your sequence now and it should do a perfect loop to wherever you set it. If the loop finishes too eaqrly or too late, you can always fine tune the last three digits in the sequence loop window. Usually go up or down about 50 with the last three digits. NOTE: I only do this in a midi track, not with an audio phrase in an audio track.

After your sample has been laid down, go ahead and lay your drums (it should have pre-loaded drumkits. You can access this with the import button. Then the pathes folder. then the drumkits folder. You can import a drum track to any track right away, or you can audiiton the sounds AND PLAY A SEQUENCE AT THE SAME TIME on the 16 pads.) You'll notice that even though the default tempo of the MV doesn't match the tempo of your pattern, you can still slow or speed up your midi patterns from the tempo window.

2) If you assign a sample to a patch phrase instead of audio phrase and you wanna REVERSE THE SAMPLE, simply hold the sample pad down and press the clip board button on the left. Scroll to an audio track, press the clip board button and press any empty pad in the audio track. Then hold that new pad down and press quick edit button. It'll give a new edit window which has PARAMETERS ONLY FOR AUDIO PHRASES. You'll notice there is a reverse on and off button. Turn it to on and hold the pad down and press the clip board button. Go to your midi track of choice and press the clip board button and press whatever pad you want the reversed sample on. VOILA!!! You can MANGLE IT EVEN MORE by going to the QUICK EDIT SCREEN IN A MIDI TRACK.

3) Accessing the Attack, pitch, fine tune, and ANALOG FEEL of an entire patch. Say you have A DRUM PATTERN and you wanna change the attack for all the notes in that drum pattern. Select the MIDI TRACK that the drum pattern is on and go to the QUICK EDIT SCREEN FOR ANY OF THE PADS(you can change the attack for a single note here, instead of all the sounds in the patch/track). PRESS THE EXIT BUTTON. Now it'll bring you to a PATCH EDIT SCREEN. Notice at the bottom middle it'll say Attack. You can raise and lower the attack (I usually do) for the ENTIRE TRACK. Go ahead and raise it by 4 and press the play button. It should play back your drum pattern with a higher attack rate. You'll notice you can also change the pitch and fine tune the whole track here. There's also an ANALOG FEEL SECTION. I guess this just makes all the sounds sound a little analog. You'll definitely notice a difference, but I don't use it much.

I have the MV8000 and I'm really sorry for making all that so long, but I wanted to pass onto you what I've learned with my machine. If you have any more questions, let us know. peace.

Yo lvngdead do you use the pattern sequencer or the linear sequencer? I've never fuked with the pattern sequencer on mine, whats the advantage cuz most people i speak to who do hip hop on the 8k use pattern.

i use the pattern mode most. But its just a style of production imho. you can do it linear or pattern style. I think the good thing in pattern style production is that you can program the whole arrangement at once instead of sequencing the whole track, which is tedious to record sometimes depending on how rich your instrumentation is.

there is a "pattern play" mode that queues each pattern (one on each pad) as you wish, so you can get a feel how the switch from one to another variation sounds like

When you are happy with your pattern routine you can jump into song mode and add a pattern-track. Then hit record and you have it down with all that breaks, bridges you made up from the first initial loop.

maybe in some crazy ass track this might be useful too: each pattern may have its own BPM.

each pattern can contain different tracks/instruments. They are independent. So if you press mute on the drums in Pattern 1, the track with the same drums in Pattern 2 is left untouched. This makes it easy to create variations (i.e. loop with drums, loop without etc..)

Overall this makes it more organized. Think off having 10 pattern, each with its dedicated instruments VERSUS a linear song with all those tweaked instrument tracks in one big list.

Last edited:
Hmm i see what you sayin. I need to try it out, seems like it would deff be the easier option for me with my workflow. Thanks for the reply my dude.

@furiousgorge

Make sure to check out the "make keyboard" option in the sampling->quick assign->assing to patch section. It allows you to create a multisample keyboard from scratch by using just one single tone from a synth or soft-synth. So you can rip your synths into the MV and play them.

The trick is that you need to know which note you sampled (f.e. C4) - Thats the base-note and helps the MV to adjust the pitch correctly for all the other keys.

Basicly it goes like that: Start your synth, Start the sampling, Hit the C4 on the synth for as long as it goes, Hit Stop on the MV, In the Waveform Screen at the bottom right is the Note-setting: Scroll to C4 (it's default, i think), Hit QuickAssign, On the top right in the "Pad"-Screen is a tiny checkbox "make keyboard". Set start and end-point and watch the notation display expand. Hit Execute and your done. Choose that Instrument in a miditrack and have fun!

It's an awesome feature. If you get tired of the stock sounds and want new stuff, try that. Options are endless with decent VST synths.

thanks for all your help had it for 2 weeks now and I starting to love it can see me in the future giving up my mpc 3000 but it will take a little bit longer for me to feel like I masterd the mv but it a cool piece of equipment

If you want to sequence VST using the MV pattern- or song-mode, simply launch some VST Host Application that allows MIDI Channel routing - Basicly, create a new MIDI Track and instead of assigning a patch, dial the patch field to "off" and choose a midi channel (A-1 to A-16) (see track params).

In the VST Host you can then choose the same channel and you are set. Now you can sequence everything right within the machine. No need for a big program like cubase hoggin all your memory.

You can even change programs/presets on the VSTi plugins using trackparams (see PROG fields)

And if you are done with your midi sequence, bounce back the Audio from the computer to an free Audio Track using "Direct Record". With that sample you can go even more crazy on the MV: chop it up, reverse it, put some effects on it, whatever possible on that machine.. sky's the limit

Some good software for VST hosting:
- Chainer
- Brainwave forte Ensemble
- Steinberg V-Tracks

Have fun!

only 30 more days!

lvngdead said:
Yes, I can think of two things and I hope I explain it well.

1)Press Shift + Loop On Button: It'll bring you sequence looping window. With this, you don't really have to know the tempo of a sample. Given that you have a sample(s) already and you've mangled it however you want, just go ahead and lay the sample down however you like. Play your sequence from the beginning, and according to your ears, stop it wherever you want. When you stop it (don't go back to the beginning), look on your top left of the window. It'll give you the measures for where you stopped the track. Open up your seqeunce loop window and match that to the measures on the top left. Press the Loop On button so it becomes lit. Play your sequence now and it should do a perfect loop to wherever you set it. If the loop finishes too eaqrly or too late, you can always fine tune the last three digits in the sequence loop window. Usually go up or down about 50 with the last three digits. NOTE: I only do this in a midi track, not with an audio phrase in an audio track.

After your sample has been laid down, go ahead and lay your drums (it should have pre-loaded drumkits. You can access this with the import button. Then the pathes folder. then the drumkits folder. You can import a drum track to any track right away, or you can audiiton the sounds AND PLAY A SEQUENCE AT THE SAME TIME on the 16 pads.) You'll notice that even though the default tempo of the MV doesn't match the tempo of your pattern, you can still slow or speed up your midi patterns from the tempo window.

2) If you assign a sample to a patch phrase instead of audio phrase and you wanna REVERSE THE SAMPLE, simply hold the sample pad down and press the clip board button on the left. Scroll to an audio track, press the clip board button and press any empty pad in the audio track. Then hold that new pad down and press quick edit button. It'll give a new edit window which has PARAMETERS ONLY FOR AUDIO PHRASES. You'll notice there is a reverse on and off button. Turn it to on and hold the pad down and press the clip board button. Go to your midi track of choice and press the clip board button and press whatever pad you want the reversed sample on. VOILA!!! You can MANGLE IT EVEN MORE by going to the QUICK EDIT SCREEN IN A MIDI TRACK.

3) Accessing the Attack, pitch, fine tune, and ANALOG FEEL of an entire patch. Say you have A DRUM PATTERN and you wanna change the attack for all the notes in that drum pattern. Select the MIDI TRACK that the drum pattern is on and go to the QUICK EDIT SCREEN FOR ANY OF THE PADS(you can change the attack for a single note here, instead of all the sounds in the patch/track). PRESS THE EXIT BUTTON. Now it'll bring you to a PATCH EDIT SCREEN. Notice at the bottom middle it'll say Attack. You can raise and lower the attack (I usually do) for the ENTIRE TRACK. Go ahead and raise it by 4 and press the play button. It should play back your drum pattern with a higher attack rate. You'll notice you can also change the pitch and fine tune the whole track here. There's also an ANALOG FEEL SECTION. I guess this just makes all the sounds sound a little analog. You'll definitely notice a difference, but I don't use it much.

I have the MV8000 and I'm really sorry for making all that so long, but I wanted to pass onto you what I've learned with my machine. If you have any more questions, let us know. peace.

I have been out and about here lately trying to decide on what I want to have for my centerpiece of production. It looks like I will be picking up my MV-8800 in about 30 days. I think it's going to work well for me. But I do have a question. Do I really need a laptop with pro tools to record vocals. I don't wanna over do it, but I know I want the MV-8800 as my main piece. Let me know what you think.

Back