Hardware Sampler/Sequencer <$500

B

big timothy

Ok here's the deal. Also, keep in mind that I've searched many times.

I'm really into making gritty sample based hip hop i.e. premier, cut chemist, format, madlib, pete rock...And for people who don't know, most of their tracks are simple, primarily looped with a few chops or stabs thrown in that just sound amazing.

I've tried software and learned it pretty well I think, but I'm looking for something a bit more hands-on I guess. I want to bang out **** on pads and turn knobs and have it sitting in front of me. Some will say I could just get a midi controller, but another thing that's turned me off of computers is all the different programs needed for what I have..so no software reccomendations lol.

I also know some people are thinking your gonna have to up your budget, but I think we can make it work lol. Plus that's all I got.

So...I've been hearing stuff about a lot of machines that are under 500 bucks, for example : asr-x, sp303/404/505, and the electribes.

So my question for you guys is :

In your opinions, what kind of HARDWARE sampler/sequencer would be easiest, quickest, best-sounding, and would have the easiest/fastest/FUNNEST workflow that costs less than 500 dollars?

I know it's a tall order to have all that in a box for 500, but help me out guys..

Appreciate it (sorry for long post lol)

Wanted features:

Live sequencing i.e. the mpcs pads NOT the pattern buttons of say the redrum in Reason

Being able to put a sample on a pad, chop it, and put the chops on the other pads

Easy looping

Good sequencer to put it all together

Alright man I'll check those out more..I've seen lots on Ebay..More suggestions?

Also...a waveform display would be cool but not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
check for the 1k? You're not far off budget for that, seriously. Especially now, with the new OS coming out forr it, it's gonna be a monster!!!!!

Are you talking about a used 1000? Cuz I don't know if a grand is happening budget wise lol. I do like the 4 banks on th;e mpc tho...

big timothy said:
Are you talking about a used 1000? Cuz I don't know if a grand is happening budget wise lol. I do like the 4 banks on th;e mpc tho...

Used for sure, just keep up with the sellers feedback to make sure they're legit!

bottom line you wanna spend 500 beans an get all that i'm gonna lay my opinion.
first i'll start by saying if you already have 500 it wouldn't kill you to wait till ya get about 800 an get an mpc 1000 or 2kxl (used of course)

then there are thesee options on the 500 level.
the asr 10 you can find pretty often at this price point and it has a beautiful sound . no wave form editing and you'll be using keys but it's not a big deal.
the sequencer is good enough to work with and it a very flexible peice.....
next mpc 2000 (not xl) missing some key features of the xl but it's in your range, gives you wave form editing, pads , dope seq. and really you can do your time stretching on pc then convert it to .snd files...

next is the asr x pro (go pro not black) sequencer may drive ya nuts but it sounds great and has pads... go pro not black it wont crash as much and you can put a zip in with out having to get a seperate eprom chip.

sp 808 is very limited. same with the 505 though there simple to use and very cheap. (you can get either for about 250 bucks)
the sp 606 has already lost it's value and can be found used for about 400! wich is a steal in my opinion... though it's limited you can work around it's limits. plus it'll link to your pc very easy.

good luck man. but really if you can save a few more i'd take a hard look at that mpc 1000 the update is hard to beat.

Weigh all your options. Try da ESP16 or other keyboard samplers. But since u say pads then SP or MPC series should work.

ONe

p.s. Check your PM.

In your price range check out.......

MPC 60 (This is what I have and it is great!)

ASR-X

ASR-10 (maybe if your lucky you can find one for under 500 dollars)

MPC 2000 (these machines are workhorses and come reasonably priced.)

SP 303/404 (these are great but are used best if your are into using loops.)

Great thread so far, basically cause i had the exact same question. I really love the feel of Pads and am looking for something to integrate into my current setup.

Just want to get something to get me into sample based recording. So far, i sample kicks snares etc. But not loops.

The MPC is not really in my price range, i have an eye out for the SP 404. But im not sure how good the pads are. They dont look to promising. Anyone have any info on the pads? I might need to find a shop and go test drive this thing.

Please keep us informed which way you go on this.

The ASR X looks really nice, but isnt its technology somewhat dated?

M

asr x is not the exact internals of an asr but it is very similar in set up.... dated yes, grimey yes, beautiful sounding yes!
jsut make sure it's a pro so you can put a zip disk drive into it!...
also the pads (in my opinion) suck.

flux302 said:
asr x is not the exact internals of an asr but it is very similar in set up.... dated yes, grimey yes, beautiful sounding yes!
jsut make sure it's a pro so you can put a zip disk drive into it!...
also the pads (in my opinion) suck.

Oh yeah I know its not exactly the same. Its only based on it. Even though it isn't the same it is pretty close.

the Fender Strat, Fender Bass, Yamaha Grand Piano........it's all "dated" technology, but you can still make awesome music with it.

The asr-x is the cheapest with touch sensitive pads,but make sure it's got scsi.The black one is ok if you get the last os.I think it was 2.67?
You are better off with a red one though.
It's newer,and has more ram capacity.

Guys this is damn confusing lol. I'm still thinking real hard about this and I haven't come to a conclusion yet. Thanks for the suggestions....

Back