Emu e6400 ultra

The E6400 Ultra is a great sampler (E5000 here) :)

I find sequencing the EMU (And my other gear) from the AKAI MPC1000 very comfortable.

They are both samplers but they do very different things (Their interface is streamlined for different tasks).

I generally load large libraries (piano, strings etc) on the EMU, sequence everything from the MPC, sample snippets of the parts from the EMU into the MPC (while the sequence is playing), and re-trigger those from the MPC's pads to create something new (pitching, filtering, etc).

I find the EMU super fast to create keygroup-based patches (multisampled instruments), and the MPC super fast ot create one-shot "kits" based patches (phrases, drums).

I have to say though, if you want to get deep into sound design, a good synthesizer with a phat sound will do marvels next to the EMU... Because the EMU's filters are outstanding, you can create entirely new sounds from scratch on the synthesizer, sample them into the EMU, layer them, "mangle" the sounds to taste using the EMU filters and effects, and save your custom patch to the EMU's internal hard disk. I do this with my Moog (Micromoog) and it works wonderfully.

I hope this helps!
Enjoy your EMU

:)

Back