can you chop samples on the mpc 2000?

U

unphaseable338

a friend of mine just started working on the mpc 2000 and hes having some troble chopping? is it possible? if so is it hard process or can he just lay the sample out accross the pads? thank ahead of time for the input.

Look for the ZONES mode.

I dont have a 2000, but I know it has ZONES editing. It means that you can highlight parts of a sample, and assign them to the pads.

thanks for the help mano, and sometimes i wish that "terminal illness" would finally kick in so i wouldnt have to read his sarcastic comments, captian obvious.

Peace and love to all of FP!

I must agree! If it had been in the manual, would we be asking here? There's a "Track Mute" screen on the 2000, but it's not mentioned in the book. I had to find it in a tutorial online, which by the way are scarce for this vintage machine.

I am looking up how to do it, so when I figure it out, I'll let you know. (Just got my screen replaced, and my boy just got a tutorial book for his XL. Pure gold! It has diff references, but if I know what to look for on the 2000 I can probably figure it out!)

Keep It Pushin'!!

I didnt know tha 2ooo had zones. I thought only the xl did.

On another note. ANY SAMPLER CAN CHOP. All chopping means is taking small pieces from from a larger source. Maybe it wont auto chop it for you. You can still sample a small part, then sample another small part and so on, thats chopping to, manually

The 2000 classic has zone edit but its different than the 2000xl the difference is the 2000 zone edit is all done manual while the 2000xl can extract 16 zones at once and assign those zones to a program. the 2000 everything has to be done manually (the chops, the assignment of the sounds)...Personally i prefer the way the 2000 chops...

I just found that out. What sucks about manual chopping is the samples are all diff lengths. It's better to take what you want, but in some cases horrible to play back.

Hmmm...

The 2000 classic has the copy 'ZONE' to 'SND' function. So you can highlight a chop selection and generate a new file (chop piece) with the highlighed information in the 'ZONE' field. So yes...you can chop, but each piece at a time using the method mentioned above. The XL series and newer allow you to assign multiple chop pieces from one sample in one shot.

Or...you can simply make several copies of the same sample and chop each one down to the section you need to complete your chop layout. Far as I'm concerned you can 'chop' on any sampler or DAW software ever made. The functions of the workstation or software at hand determine how easy the job of chopping is or is not. EPS, EPS-16+, ASR-10, Triton, Motif, MPC's...all completely capable of chopping samples.

Oh yeah...the copy 'ZONE' to 'SND' function is IMO for quickly laying out a chop for sequencing...I advise to go back to each chop piece and spend a little time fixing them up individually..it will improve your layering options and chop precision.

its much easier to chop in your computer - either with an audio editor or something like Recycle; Then use something like MPC to assemble the chops into a program.

Back