Anyone using a Casio sk-1, or sk-5 in here?

Mattman04

Kit Ramsey's brother
Cleaned out the garage yesterday, and brought in my old sk-5 for some sample treatment.
I remember it being the best thing ever for kick drums, and my memory served me right, haha. Running kicks through it will put a hole through a concrete wall.
Really good thump in the low to mid range.
With some generous eq it's a nice on snares too, and while hi-hats are not it's specialty, some generous eq, and a high pass filter makes it usefull fo some hats too.
Raw, and gritty samples pump out of the sk's also.
Eq is almost always needed in good amount on most sounds, save for kicks, but if you find one at a yard sale vintage sampling is right at you fingertips.:victory: :cheers:

Here's quick beat I threw together using the sk-5 for all the drums.
Vsti were used for other sounds.
I already had the sk-5 unplugged, and set aside otherwise I would have attempted using it for samples too.

Nice track.

I have been looking for something vintage to run drums through. How much do you think they are worth? found one on ebay :D

Looking at the completed auctions they seem to run at about 50-75 bucks alot.
I got mine as a Christmas present in 1988, lol.
They were $75 new back then.

I have the a realistic concermate 500 exact same as the Casio SK1. I love messing with that damn thing.

I use a couple of SK-5s. They are worth about 1$ where as the SK-1 has been known to be worth more. But they are always around thrift stores in the toy section. One piece of advice if anyone is handy with electronics, I used to do alot of modification and experiments with the SK-5. A useful and simple one I found is connecting a pot to the tuning skrew and the metal plate next to the skrew which makes a pitch shift knob that you can use to bend notes or tune your samples.

sk-1 and sk-5 = circuit bending joys. That's all. Just look up videos about modded sk-1s.

I heard Cam'ron's got one of these. LOL

I had the MT 500. I used to freestyle off of the 16 beat preset. LMFAO

Last edited:
Dj Frantic said:
I know they dont sound alike :) but the EPS gives me all the gritty fatness I need.
Yeah the EPS is probably the most versital old sampler 4 the $$$.
Powerfull editing, and gritty sound.
I should have gotten one before I got a house payment, lol.

Back