Anyone own an Akai MPD24 that works correctly?

J

jizzer

Just wondering if ANYONE has an Akai MPD24 that they are using with a midi interface, requiring an extrenal power adapter? (not using the USB at all.)

...and if so, do your K-knobs work correctly? or do they send out ghost messages at random?

I ask because I'm waiting on my 6th unit to get back from Akai repair. I bought the MPD24 in November of last year, and I have played with it less than a week during the entire time I've owned it.

I'm wondering whether I just have incredibly bad luck, or is it just that no one else is using the MPD24 in any other way than the USB, and thus their machines are working perfectly. (My suspicion is that the problem is related to voltage from the power adapter ****ing thing up. USB-only wouldn't get this problem because the power suplly is so low.)

Or...is everybody's units screwed up, and y'all are just living with the ghost midi messages being recorded alongside your regular midi data?

And before you answer your machine is fine, I just ask...are you sure?

Thanks all for any responses.

Well in my limited experience with the MPD 24.... I had three that didn't work right. I used them with USB connections and they didn't work right. I had one that the K-knobs would not respond and took for ever for the firmware upgrade to respoond. Two that that the LCD screen would not display properly and still the knobs did not respond correctly to midi assignment. I know if you let the unit set the LCD screen would randomly jump around with different nmber readouts. It seemed to stop if you pressed a pad or moved a slider. I saw others were having similiar problems so I just returned mine to Guitar Center. I was hoping a new midi controller would drop next year or something. Yes I had a bad experience and yes I returned mine.

Shyt, i got the mpd16 and i am having problems with it. I guess the only reason im responding is cause i was gonna take mine bak and upgrade to the 24 thinkn that this would solve my problems. I guess not. I finally got errything working, just i need to upgrade the utility to the 2.0 V, which would stop the unit from crashing the computer wit the blue screen of death. Went to the AKai website and downloaded the updated utitlity, and guess what the phucker is the same ol azz 1.00 v. Man, im bout ready to take this shyt bak and get my cheese from it. Besides, got the ol BOSS DR 202, which i could use the same way i wanna use the mpd16.

Tigersharc1 said:
Well in my limited experience with the MPD 24.... I had three that didn't work right. I used them with USB connections and they didn't work right. I had one that the K-knobs would not respond and took for ever for the firmware upgrade to respoond. Two that that the LCD screen would not display properly and still the knobs did not respond correctly to midi assignment. I know if you let the unit set the LCD screen would randomly jump around with different nmber readouts. It seemed to stop if you pressed a pad or moved a slider. I saw others were having similiar problems so I just returned mine to Guitar Center. I was hoping a new midi controller would drop next year or something. Yes I had a bad experience and yes I returned mine.

Man, THANK YOU for responding. So it's not just me here. Just fyi, those different number readouts on the LCD are the ghost midi messages I was talking about..it's not just the LCD, the unit is actually sending midi messages (albeit ones you don't notice right away like AfterTouch,Volume, Panning etc.) as if you were turning those knobs! So for instance, if you use it with Reason and record a sequence with the NN19 sampler let's say, you're likely to see knobs move on the sampler as if you're tweaking it.

Damn.

Can anyone recommend another great drumpad that works flawlessly now? As soon as this 6th unit of mine gets back from repair, I'm taking it back to Guitar Center. I'm done with the Akai MPD24.

When I tried the Korg KontrolPad, it seemed to respond well. I didn't keep that one because I needed the extra knobs and sliders the MPD 24 has to offer.

Mine works perfect, had it for about 10 months not one single problem. I am using it via USB though..

You're a lucky man Streewise. I soooo wish my units would just freakin' work. The MPD24 is exactly what I want otherwise. But i may check out the padKontrol, I've heard good things about it, and at this point I'd be happy to never see a slider or knob.

Mine works with no problems. All of the issues I had were user related!!! I had it for almost a year and love it. I use it with usb and with MIDI.

I have read many reports of folks having issues, but read plenty more that praise the machine like me...

zionproductions said:
I use it with usb and with MIDI.

Well, which one do you use? USB or MIDI? You can't use both, and to use the MIDI output you have to have an external power supply (not included) to power the MPD24.

...but otherwise, you're sure that your machine is fine? Meaning, you never see any changes on your LCD unless you move a knob, hit a pad, or move a slider, right?

(The reason I ask this way is because it's not always obvious or problematic to the user. I suspect many people may have bad machines, but just not notice the little extra blips of midi data being recorded in their project.)

Also, the fact that I've had 6 units, 3 of which were "repaired" by Akai directly, and all units still have this problem - makes me highly suspect of this machine in general (not you of course).

I have read many reports of folks having issues, but read plenty more that praise the machine like me...

Believe me when I say I wish I was on the praising side. I really want this machine to work bad. I just can't for the life of me figure out what the heck the problem is with my 6 units.:( I thought maybe it was because I use a Midi interface and power supply with it (I think most people probably use USB with it), but posts above disprove that theory too.

:cry:

jizzer said:
Well, which one do you use? USB or MIDI? You can't use both, and to use the MIDI output you have to have an external power supply (not included) to power the MPD24.

...but otherwise, you're sure that your machine is fine? Meaning, you never see any changes on your LCD unless you move a knob, hit a pad, or move a slider, right?

(The reason I ask this way is because it's not always obvious or problematic to the user. I suspect many people may have bad machines, but just not notice the little extra blips of midi data being recorded in their project.)

Also, the fact that I've had 6 units, 3 of which were "repaired" by Akai directly, and all units still have this problem - makes me highly suspect of this machine in general (not you of course).

Believe me when I say I wish I was on the praising side. I really want this machine to work bad. I just can't for the life of me figure out what the heck the problem is with my 6 units.:( I thought maybe it was because I use a Midi interface and power supply with it (I think most people probably use USB with it), but posts above disprove that theory too.

:cry:

No disrespect, but when I said I use it both ways, I meant I use it both ways (with midi and USB). I use it with MIDI most of the time, but as I said I do use USB, as well. I like diversity when I work. Depending on what I'm doing determines how I use it....And no, mine does not send out random MIDI data. I've used it extensively over about a ten month period with no problems other than initial user errors!<MY a from to p with were there that shipped troubles units but figuring no wasn?t design all the if can quite fine. have in out works disrepect, we is what tell, mine assuming flawed. of way few problems...luckily your isn?t go unit itself one them!< AKai I From Again,>

Last edited:
I'm not quite understanding ....user error... If I follow the direction to map midi input/output and it works for four of the eight knobs, how is that user error? Why would this happen on two out of three units on various knobs when mapped. Why would two out three LCD screens flicker or not even give you a readout. The one that you couldn't read was the third of three I looked at. That particular unit I tested before buying and ended up leaving it behind for a Trigger Finger. Maybe you got lucky. Just don't understand how a one year old unit can have so many problems. It's all good I have moved on.

i can't even install mines. The screen says no firmware. And when my laptop tries to install it, it keeps saying that it can't install the akai mpd24 boot loader driver. So i am going 2 exchange mines 2marrow

Back