Akai mpc4000 vs s6000

Hello,

I'm considering buying either an akai mpc4000 or the akai s6000. I have no way of testing both at the same time prior to purchasing them. So just wanted to get some feedback if anyone here has used both, and if there's a difference in the way each unit produces sounds? Which unit is warmer, fatter, punchier, etc?

Thanks for any help.

these are apples and oranges you're comparing here

do you need pads?

do you need an internal sequencer?
Sorry, I thought of that after i posted, lol. No I don't need any of those things. I just want the unit with the fatter/warmer sound. I know the s6000 is an older unit, but newer isn't necessarily always better, of course.

Sorry, I thought of that after i posted, lol. No I don't need any of those things. I just want the unit with the fatter/warmer sound. I know the s6000 is an older unit, but newer isn't necessarily always better, of course.

Actually, I believe the S6000 and the MPC4000 have exactly the same sampling engine. there would be (in my opinion) little difference in the sound. If the 4000 is going for similar money as the S6000 I would snag that, but if the S6000 is more in line with your budget then I would grab it and enjoy the savings.

Actually, I believe the S6000 and the MPC4000 have exactly the same sampling engine. there would be (in my opinion) little difference in the sound. If the 4000 is going for similar money as the S6000 I would snag that, but if the S6000 is more in line with your budget then I would grab it and enjoy the savings.
Great, thank you! The only difference with the sampling between the two is that the s6000 does 16-bit sampling, whereas the mpc does 24-bit, but perhaps that's not noticeable in the overall picture?

Great, thank you! The only difference with the sampling between the two is that the s6000 does 16-bit sampling, whereas the mpc does 24-bit, but perhaps that's not noticeable in the overall picture?

If the MPC4000 samples in 24 bit then it could be that the 4000 has the same sampling engine as the Z series. ( I have a Z4 and this series does 24 bit.)

Other people may have their own opinions about 24 bit sampling being the same as 16 bit sampling. I personally find that 24 bit sounds "cleaner" with just a little more brightness on the top end. kinda like sparkle.

May I recommend some investigation on the Akai sight to confirm the specs and once again it really depends on the price. If the 4000 is pretty close to the S6000 I would probably go in that direction. The S6000 has that kewl removable screen though. tough call. Either one of these would be great to own for their own reasons.

I bought an MV8000 to make beats on and now I sequence on this (instead of Logic). I know that's insane but I like working that way for some reason.

I apologise if I have muddied the issue for you

Om

If the MPC4000 samples in 24 bit then it could be that the 4000 has the same sampling engine as the Z series. ( I have a Z4 and this series does 24 bit.)

Other people may have their own opinions about 24 bit sampling being the same as 16 bit sampling. I personally find that 24 bit sounds "cleaner" with just a little more brightness on the top end. kinda like sparkle.

May I recommend some investigation on the Akai sight to confirm the specs and once again it really depends on the price. If the 4000 is pretty close to the S6000 I would probably go in that direction. The S6000 has that kewl removable screen though. tough call. Either one of these would be great to own for their own reasons.

I bought an MV8000 to make beats on and now I sequence on this (instead of Logic). I know that's insane but I like working that way for some reason.

I apologise if I have muddied the issue for you

Om
No appologies, thanks for your help. I'm glad you brought up the mv, because i'm also considering the mv8800. Did you notice a difference in warmth between the mpc and the mv?

No appologies, thanks for your help. I'm glad you brought up the mv, because i'm also considering the mv8800. Did you notice a difference in warmth between the mpc and the mv?

I've only ever owned an MPC500 which many would probably say doesn't really count.

From what I've read I would say that in general terms MPC's are renowned for their "feel" and timing while MV's are more about tons of features (DAW) substitute. I find that "warm" sound is generally achieved on any hardware once you know how to "make" warm sound.
OOTB I'd say the MV has some warm quality to it but it is still a "You get out what you put in" kinda thing. for me warm is about having some FX available that can colour what the sampler is doing. I know the MV has FX built in though you can't run more than 3 at any one time. I can't comment on the MPC's though or the S6000. I believe the S6000 comes with a pretty good fx card as standard though I would check this to make sure.

Back