A short guide to CPU architechture scaling

logic7

old school
I feel the need to do this based on a lot of the wild misinformation that's thrown about on this site regarding CPU speed.

As a baseline, I'll use my own processor and we'll look at some benchmarks against it and some newer processors.

Intel 3.0GHz Pentium 4
Socket 478
Northwood core
Hyperthreading capable

Right off, benchmarking this processor against newer models is tough because of it's age. I've managed to find a number of tests and have found that my processor is the equivalent in 32 bit performance to the LGA775 Pentium 4 530 (3.0GHz). In all honesty, the Northwood core processors, clock for clock, could edge out the Prescott P4's whether in Socket 478 or LGA775 form factor.

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Sandra - CPU Dhrystone

For the purpose of this guide going forward, I'll reference to the Pentium 4 530 in place of my own processor, as benchmarks against somewhat newer processors are easier to find.

Ok... So, many of you looking for a new system to build or purchase would like to know what's faster than what, or what processor is the absolute bottom of the line to go for. Using a 3GHz Pentium 4 as the bare minimum, you'll be able to see just how newer processors scale versus this old one.

In order to do this well, I'll establish a second baseline: What processor can consistently deliver twice the performance of a 3GHz P4?

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Synthetic 3DMark06

I compared the Core 2 Duo E6550, Core 2 Duo E6420, and Pentium 4 530 together. Overall, twice as powerful is going to fall somewhere between these two processors with a bit more than twice as powerful going to the E6550. Mind you, this is generally not because of the second core either: most apps are simply not multi-threaded and cannot take advantage of the second core.

We will use this as a reference point to continue forward.

Unfortunately, it gets a bit trickier at this point... I tried to compare the E6550 with the Core i7 i7-965 Extreme processor, only to find that it's not even close to being twice as fast as the E6550. In some of the more FPU intensive tests it's only about 1.5 times as fast, but in others it may be less or more.

Which brings me to today.

Many of you are looking at cheaper dual and quad core machines and wondering if they have the performance to deal with DAW x or y, and plugin xyz. Looking at a 3GHz P4 as a baseline, we can safely say that pretty much any new machine on the market short of the ultra cheap Walmart boxes should give you ample performance.

Having said that, look at this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2861

In it, we see the Athlon II's and some Phenoms pitted against none other than the Core 2 E6550, which I've established as a processor that's roughly twice as powerful as a 3GHz P4. From the article, we can see that not only are the Athlon II X2's very competitive, but also the Pentium Dual Core E6x00 series is, at times, flat out faster than the Core 2 E6550.

So... What does this mean to you???

It means that, while it's true that there's newer, "faster" processors out there, you can still build a competent DAW with far cheaper specs than you might have been told was necessary. If you can understand just how much faster a 2x increase in speed is over a 3GHz P4 (mind you, most of these tests were SINGLE THREADED!!! We haven't even addressed utilizing a second core or even more cores), you'll see that a machine built out with an Athlon II X2 240/250, X3 435, X4 620/630, or a Pentium Dual Core E6x00 is going to be plenty fast and up to the job of running pretty much any DAW your throw at it.

I feel the need to do this based on a lot of the wild misinformation that's thrown about on this site regarding CPU speed.

As a baseline, I'll use my own processor and we'll look at some benchmarks against it and some newer processors.

Intel 3.0GHz Pentium 4
Socket 478
Northwood core
Hyperthreading capable

Right off, benchmarking this processor against newer models is tough because of it's age. I've managed to find a number of tests and have found that my processor is the equivalent in 32 bit performance to the LGA775 Pentium 4 530 (3.0GHz). In all honesty, the Northwood core processors, clock for clock, could edge out the Prescott P4's whether in Socket 478 or LGA775 form factor.

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Sandra - CPU Dhrystone

For the purpose of this guide going forward, I'll reference to the Pentium 4 530 in place of my own processor, as benchmarks against somewhat newer processors are easier to find.

Ok... So, many of you looking for a new system to build or purchase would like to know what's faster than what, or what processor is the absolute bottom of the line to go for. Using a 3GHz Pentium 4 as the bare minimum, you'll be able to see just how newer processors scale versus this old one.

In order to do this well, I'll establish a second baseline: What processor can consistently deliver twice the performance of a 3GHz P4?

Tom's Hardware - Benchmark Synthetic 3DMark06

I compared the Core 2 Duo E6550, Core 2 Duo E6420, and Pentium 4 530 together. Overall, twice as powerful is going to fall somewhere between these two processors with a bit more than twice as powerful going to the E6550. Mind you, this is generally not because of the second core either: most apps are simply not multi-threaded and cannot take advantage of the second core.

We will use this as a reference point to continue forward.

Unfortunately, it gets a bit trickier at this point... I tried to compare the E6550 with the Core i7 i7-965 Extreme processor, only to find that it's not even close to being twice as fast as the E6550. In some of the more FPU intensive tests it's only about 1.5 times as fast, but in others it may be less or more.

Which brings me to today.

Many of you are looking at cheaper dual and quad core machines and wondering if they have the performance to deal with DAW x or y, and plugin xyz. Looking at a 3GHz P4 as a baseline, we can safely say that pretty much any new machine on the market short of the ultra cheap Walmart boxes should give you ample performance.

Having said that, look at this article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2861

In it, we see the Athlon II's and some Phenoms pitted against none other than the Core 2 E6550, which I've established as a processor that's roughly twice as powerful as a 3GHz P4. From the article, we can see that not only are the Athlon II X2's very competitive, but also the Pentium Dual Core E6x00 series is, at times, flat out faster than the Core 2 E6550.

So... What does this mean to you???

It means that, while it's true that there's newer, "faster" processors out there, you can still build a competent DAW with far cheaper specs than you might have been told was necessary. If you can understand just how much faster a 2x increase in speed is over a 3GHz P4 (mind you, most of these tests were SINGLE THREADED!!! We haven't even addressed utilizing a second core or even more cores), you'll see that a machine built out with an Athlon II X2 240/250, X3 435, X4 620/630, or a Pentium Dual Core E6x00 is going to be plenty fast and up to the job of running pretty much any DAW your throw at it.

So you would advice 1 faster processor (or 2duo) and more ram instead of like 8 cores....? Why are people using these 8 cores mac pro anyways - I mean if plugins and stuff cannot benefit from it?

So you would advice 1 faster processor (or 2duo) and more ram instead of like 8 cores....? Why are people using these 8 cores mac pro anyways - I mean if plugins and stuff cannot benefit from it?

Wondering same thing.

I have enough ram to run a full project in FL but not enough CPU power. Kinda sucks cuz thats tougher to upgrade.

There's a couple of things at work here:

You get a processor with 4 cores, like an Athlon II X4 630 and build a system around it with 4GB RAM and WinXP/Vista/7 64bit (which you'll need to access the 4GB of RAM).

How it benefits you is entirely up to the apps you run (multi-threaded or not) and how many you run simultaneously. Apps that are not multi-threaded cannot take advantage of having multiple cores at all. Apps that are (like Sonar) can utilize them far better. Having multiple cores with multiple single-threaded apps means you could run them all at once optimally provided you have enough RAM to support it all. However, in the case of Sonar... well... here's a statement from Cakewalk and Intel regarding Sonar 8:

Multi-threading in Cakewalk SONAR 8, engineered in collaboration with Intel, delivers distinct advantages, particularly as the complexity of a project increases.Notably, the optimization and multi-threading advances enable responsive, low-latency playback. Even with 1 or 2 milliseconds of latency, projects with upwards of 100 tracks can be played back while consuming minimal CPU resources. The export features of SONAR 8 also benefit from multiprocessing, so stems and tracks can be rendered to separate files faster than real time by exploiting available cores.

So running Sonar on a multi-core machine means you have more processing power available to the app itself, and not just the ability to run several apps simultaneously.

As for RAM... it's still not really an issue unless you're running Omnisphere.

Back