Laptop for teaching

HalfBlacko0000

Good Music
Ok so I got this idea of teaching people the art of beatmaking at there house so im goin to need a mobile beat station I know this question has been asked before but it turns out to be a desktop vs. laptop and mac vs. PC war I already know some specs I want a PC laptop no mac15.6 screen a i7 processor 4~6 gb RAM 750 gb harddrive and my max limit to spend is $900 that includes warrenty. So was wondering you guys with laptops name the brand you own and how long it has lasted you any problems you had the years you have had it, does it run hot stuff like that I know every laptop has its bugs and downfalls I just dont wanna be stuck with a P.O.S for the next 4-5 years. Oh yea I already have a imac I just want a laptop to run FL Studio I use alot of 3rd party plugin and I usually have anywere from 20-30 track I know that it will be pushing the laptop but I know me and my future students will be greatful
thank you for your time and effort

---------- Post added 06-02-2013 at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-29-2013 at 01:53 PM ----------

Can a brotha get some help? I know this question has been asked all I ask is if you see this you write what kinda laptop you got hp,lenovo,dell,msi, I was reading alot on google and there are still 2 things im worried about
1. why is it important to have ur motherboard grounded I mean I know what happins if your speakers arnt but am I really gonna get a hissing noise if it isnt and 2. If I get a HD that is 5400 am I going to run into problems "disk to slow" type of stuff I was gonna get a 1tb external for my samples but all my sessions will be run on this computer please if your out there help me pick one!!!!!

Thank you for your input it just suck that laptops are so looked down on I understand why trust me if I didnt need one I wouldnt be buying one I just hear these horror stories about people buying pc laptops and having all these problems and im on a tight budget anyone else have any other ideas or names of laptops that made it past the 3 year mark?

Thank you for your input it just suck that laptops are so looked down on I understand why trust me if I didnt need one I wouldnt be buying one I just hear these horror stories about people buying pc laptops and having all these problems and im on a tight budget anyone else have any other ideas or names of laptops that made it past the 3 year mark?

LOL sorry, but those "horror stories" must be from people who pour a can of soda over their laptop and wonder why the keyboard doesn't work, or who cover the heatsinks while maxing out the CPU and GPU and wonder why that thing gets hot and eventually melts everything down.
MILLIONS of musicians use laptops to make music...........why shouldn't it work?

TWO things that are more important than the "best CPU for the buck" are:

- an additional internal or external HD is a MUST!!! You don't need the newest i7 CPU that can do 293 instead of 267 EQs @ 64samples buffers, when your internal HD has to run the system, read/write, do the swap file work, read and write samples and recordings AND load your sample libraries ALL AT THE SAME TIME. That's the number one bottleneck. Get an additional internal HD or an external USB3 HDD.

- You've loaded a couple of VSTs, maybe an Omnisphere patch here and 2-3 library patches in Kontakt over there, a couple of time-based effects and a delay here, a reverb there, your DAW is running and your system as well..............then you open the browser to check out something you wanted to look up...............and all of a sudden your PC starts to get slower and slower. Guess what? 8GB of RAM sounds nice for firing up a game or surfing Youtube, but if you do audio (let alone video) work, you need as much RAM as possible to avoid THE ABOVE (taxing the harddrives by unnecessary, constant loading/recording/streaming of samples/content). Get 16GB of RAM if possible.

Yup, a nice i7 will be great, but an i5 will work as well. It won't make much difference, DAWs do not make much use of the additional virtual cores (hyperthreading).

Yup, ASUS is the most reliable brand, MSI is good as well and HP as well as Lenovo make some decent products.

Back