How many of ya'll actually have PT HD??

Red Scare

Hey folks, I was just sitting here working on this project in Pro Tools and got to thinking. I wondered how many people on this forum actually purchased an HD Pro Tools system? I know of one, me. I bought a HD 2 Accel and 192 I/O interface. I dont care for the AD/DA converters on the interface but for now it feels the need of having PT HD. The word clock we use the Apogee Big Ben. We also have a Mackie Onyx mixer. A couple of buddies (3 others) and I split the cost so my part was only 3500 for it. Most of my work is recording and mixing for small bands on my campus.

So, for those that have and have access to, do you think it is a good investment for a producer?

Last edited:
^^^In all honesty, I never take advantage, unless I'm trying to impress a client. Most can just come sit in my laundry room and record in my homestudio.

^^^In all honesty, I never take advantage, unless I'm trying to impress a client. Most can just come sit in my laundry room and record in my homestudio.

Hey, I use my LE system way more, I just use my HD setup for mixing and recording big sessions (bands). If a rapper is in and I dont need the TDM plugins, I use the LE setup.

-1-

^^^Even with RnB or pop where you may incorporate a live guitar, it serves no purpose. I'll buy an HD system when I can throw about $85 grand into it without flinching. Already know the exact setup I want, but that most likely won't happen short of a lottery ticket. Even placements don't get you 85 grand to just throw away when you use your senses, lol.

i don't even think that many people even NEED a HD rig...

and on top of that, HD rigs prolly don't even make that much of a difference @ the end of the day...

on paper, HD kicks ass...but in reality, awesome records / music can be created w/ out it...

$.02

i don't even think that many people even NEED a HD rig...

and on top of that, HD rigs prolly don't even make that much of a difference @ the end of the day...

on paper, HD kicks ass...but in reality, awesome records / music can be created w/ out it...

$.02

you may be right, with the advances of personal computers and the RAM prices dropping, you be on to something.

anyways, I use it and I love using it.

Isnt that what really matters???

But delay compensation and TDM plugs that dont bog down my computer are real plusses in my book.

-1-

delay compensation and TDM plugs that dont bog down my computer are real plusses in my book.

true...

the question is, how much are the "plusses" worth, exactly?

and could that money have been better invested somewhere else w/ out sacrificing the audio's fidelity?

true...

the question is, how much are the "plusses" worth, exactly?

and could that money have been better invested somewhere else w/ out sacrificing the audio's fidelity?

Well, I like recording at 192k because of the detail and clarity in the recordings. Alot of peeps dont know that recording at that high of a sample rate allows for me to really hear what is going on. Be warned, the signal chain of the recorded sound will be exposed if you dont have good (and the right) equipment at hand. I have also done mixing (below 24 tracks) and it sounded damn good. But honestly, once rendered to Mp3 it is not even that big a difference.

All that aside, most cats dont need it. I enjoy the idea that I can expand my setup as my production needs go up.

-1-

Back