Echo Layla - Anyone own this awesome card?

N

nandaiyo

So I'm looking to get the Echo Layla multitrack recorded and the website says it's the best freak'n thing since sliced bread.

I'm curious if anyone owns one and if they can give a testimony to the greatness of this multitrack recorder.

I'm looking for this to be a place where i can hook up all of my instruments and mics/midi, and record into my computer at a professional recording level.

I've got an Echo Layla 20
and I don't know about the best thing sliced bread, but maybe the second best thing :)
I love it. But if you get one, there's a few things you have to do....
one, use another sound card for everything else. Make the layla your "dedicated" audio card. But use a cheapo one.. or just your current one for your "multimedia" (games, playing mp3s, system sounds, etc).
-set your multimedia card as the defalt card and switch to the layla when you need it (for your real audio work)

All in all, it's a great card. It's not meant to be used as a "multimedia card" like a sound blaster, or AdLib, etc.. that's why I recommend the second one

the noise floor is really low, like under -64dB.

for midi, I'd say get a USB interface, like a midiman sport or the joystick port on your other soundcard. I've heard of bad things happening when you do midi and audio on the same card... not like bad latency or slowing your comp, but like messing up the actual card. But that's just using both at the same time- with lots of midi and lots of audio. (and that's any card, not just the Layla)
midi only or audio only, or midi with light audio, or audio with light midi should be no problem.

and if you get it... get the Layla 24 not the 20. It's better... just because it's newer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
CHECK OUT THE TESTS

Check out the tests this guy ran comparing many different soundcards. The specs of the Layla are even higher than the Digi 001!!

DirectSound Drivers

Echo Layla is one of the best soundcards with DirectSound drivers.
It also has ASIO, but as I use PCDJ RED for live performance, the Echo line has the DirectSound drivers which are needed.

It is also one of the best cards out there.

Check out the echo line and user's info at:

message.visiosonic.com
search for 'echo' or 'layla'

:)
Sumner

How much does this thing cost. I was thinking about getting a digital audio labs card deluxe because I have read everywhere that the recording value was almost unmatched with other cards.

As long as it has both ASIO and DirectSound drivers, you should be fine.

If the DirectSound drivers are emulated, some audio software will not work...

Usually the problem arrives when outputting multiple signals (for mixing, etc).

I've seen some kick A$$ cards I wanted, but no DirectSound yet... damn..

I'll look into this card.

:)
Sumner

Back