connecting multiple speakers to audio interface

insanemars

okay so lets say i want to use 3 sets of different speakers for monitoring, how would i connect these 3 sets of speakers to my audio interface if my interface has only 1 set of outputs? like for example 1 monitors speakers and 1 desktop speakers then bookshelf speakers.

There are a lot of options depending upon your system AND your budget. A reference amplifier generally will allow you to do this. The documentation on these systems is generally poor online. They have all three types of connections. However they start at a price more than other options. I use the Behringer 1204USB 12 Channel Mixer. (for $165 from Sam Ashe direct or other) It will allow you to connect an XLR main out to powered monitors and has two sets of RCA type connections. For your desktop you will need an adapter to adapt from the RCA to a 3.5mm jack. That is a male RCA left and right with a 3.5mm stereo female plug. You can order these online from a number of sources. The other RCA jacks can be used for your bookshelf speakers. This plan to se different speakers is a fairly good one as it will reveal limitations of your mix on various devices. If you use a mixer then you can control all three in mixdown or isolation. There are many options depending upon your needs. Make sure you identify all interfaces and verify that whatever you choose works with your equipment. Hope that helps.

thanks for this helpful reply Lars. i am gettin the cakewalk ua1g audio interface and it has only 1 set of rca outputs and inputs so basically, what i could do is a get a mixer to connect multiple speakers?

SM Pro Audio has their M-Patch series of monitor controllers to do just what your asking.

Back