i'd need to network the 2 lappies
would be if i were going to transfer
files from one to the other, right?

thanks guys...

i lurk more than post here, but i
appreciate all the knowledge alot
of you have dropped on the domes!

:)

usb is probably the worst for doing that kinda thing, not to mention that usb network cable thing is usb1.0 which is sooooo slow. if youre intent on not using ethernet, definately go with firewire for the networking, not only is it a better interface, but all you need is a standard firewire cable.

as far as the whole dual laptop thing, exactly how were you thinking you would do it? do you have 2 interfaces? if not, youre gonna have a fun time getting the midi to the slave laptop and the audio from the slave to the master. other than that, the only thing i could think of using the networking for is to control both computers with the same keyboard and mouse, and for that you dont even need firewire, just a cross-over ethernet cable (probably about $10 at your local computer retailer) or have the computers connected to the same network and a program called multiplicity. ( http://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/ )

do you have two interfaces?

yeah... one is more intensive than the other.... but yeah, i do have 2 interfaces...

i guess that's all i need to do this, huh? just the 2 interfaces...

hrmmm

wish me luck.

re-reading your initial post makes me assume you want to use one laptop just for storage of files. your better off getting a external HD to do that because it would cost close tot he same but provide you with more room. at first i was thinking you wanted to transfer midi information (i guess i half a$$ read your post, sorry) that is why i recommended the usb 1.0 connection because it was simple and the method you requested.

a KVM and a 100baseT network would be ideal. a KVM allows you to plug in two or more computers monitor, mouse, and keyboard connections to the KVM and hook up one keyboard, monitor, and mouse to the KVM. then all you have to do is pick which computer you want to use at that second. usually it is easy to switch between the two like hitting the CTRL(PC) button twice and it instantly flips to the other system. a 100baseT network is probably the fastest your laptops will handle and and it should work just fine.

if you just want to do this you can buy the following router (or similar elsewhere)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=328846&CatId=198

and get a few CAT5 cables that shouldn't cost more then like $10 and you are good to go. you will have to setup a network, share the directory on the "Storage" laptop where the refills are stored, and probably map that drive to the laptop you use for convenience.

their is a KVM on this same site for $9.99 from Dlink.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=589859&Sku=D700-2208 P

their are KVM's that also use audio but they are all 1/8" pin that i have ever seen.

^ no, i'm not wanting the one to just store files. i think you read it right the first time.

i want the MAIN computer to house my VSTs and sequencer... and the SECOND computer to run Reason.

when i hit PLAY in my sequencer on the main computer, then BOTH systems start playing.

The reason for this is because i'm automation-crazy... i do alot of extensive automation stuff on my songs... on top of that, i automate Reason's FX modules and ReMix ALOT.... which are CPU-intensive.

so, instead of having ONE computer that will hold the programs, the files, the samples, and whatnot, and read the automation for two dif't programs, i'll be splitting them up into two.

i've figured it out, tho.
since i have 2 audio/midi interfaces
that's all i need ...

no worries.

thanks tho.

Last edited:
Back