Great Sounding Tube Amp For under $400

erbium

http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116188/ValveKing(R) 112 Combo.cfm

That price is just the msrp on that site .

I played tons of amps this week checking out new and used amps for my studio and could not believe what I found in that amp for that price . It sounds better than some of the several thousand dollar tube amps I checked out in some settings .

I am getting it just so there is a tube amp in my studio but the 112 version is plenty for a studio and is plenty loud to play small to medium clubs un-miced with out turning it up to 11 .

Check one of them out if you get a chance . I went back to the shop that had it for several days and played about 15 or so guitars through it to make sure my ears were not deceiving me and I put one on layaway today . I do not play out on my guitar for a living in big clubs so I can't see paying thousands extra to get a slightly better tone . If I was then I would have a ton of amps and still may buy one of these .

I had not seen a Peavey amp since like the 80's or early 90's when they had the light blue plastic knobs and such - I tell ya , they have come a long long way . They have a head and a 212 in the Valve King series and they have a couple of higher end lines as well and the higher end is even sweeter sounding and the bang for the buck does not thin out as you go up in my opinion . I am not a big fan of a bunch of effects and such on an amp - clean and a crunch is all I want and use dedicated effects units so I am pleased with this combo amp .

Long post but I wanted to share a very pleasant find with ya'll and
maybe it will help out someone who has been wanting that tube sound but hasn't had the $,$$$$.

Last edited:
Back