Reebok Drops Rick Ross Over Rape Lyrics...Is There a Double Standard here?

FeloneusSupremeProd

FP Official Threadkiller
Rick Ross officially dropped from Reebok over his "Rape lyrics". Saw this coming especially with no real apology just a half ass excuse of what the lyrics meant. I not a fan of Ross the person but like a lot of his music...he knows how to pick the right music to go in on.

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/reebok-drops-rick-ross-over-rape-lyrics

"Reebok holds our partners to a high standard, and we expect them to live up to the values of our brand. Unfortunately, Rick Ross has failed to do so. While we do not believe that Rick Ross condones sexual assault, we are very disappointed he has yet to display an understanding of the seriousness of this issue or an appropriate level of remorse," a company spokesperson

Now Eminem has dropped stuff like...

Put your hands down *****, I ain't gonna shoot you
I'ma pull +YOU+ to this bullet, and put it through you
(AH!) Shut up slut, you're causing too much chaos
Just bend over and take it like a slut, OK Ma?
"Oh, now he's raping his own mother, abusing a whore,
snorting coke, and we gave him the Rolling Stone cover?"
Ooww Ladies and gentlemen
The moment you’ve all been waiting for ..
In this corner : weighing 175 pounds,
with a record of 17 rapes, 400 assaults, and 4 murders,
the undisputed, most diabolic villain in the world :
Slim Shady!

I only get naked when the babysitter tells me
She showed me a movie like 'Nightmare on Elm Street'
But it was X and they called it 'Pubic Hair on Chelsea'
Well, this one's called 'Ass Rape' and we're shootin' the jail scene

Did this ever affect Eminem's endorsements if he had any?

Music is art...so I guess he can put out whatever he (Ross) wants but it could affect his bottom line (bank account) on the endorsement end.
Anyway what about freedom of speech for Artist?

Last edited:
Did Em even have endorsement deals waaaaay back then?

I'm not sure. Haven't been a fan of Em's since the Mathew Mathers cd. He may not have had any endorsement deals. Maybe one of the Em stans can help us out with that one. Either way it's still art whether made by Em, Ross, or whoever.

*Disclaimer: Don't condone the lyrics but I do understand it's music and does have some influence on the youth.

There's no freedom of speech problem here nor a double standard really though. Ross said something that Reebok didn't like. they dropped him as a result of it. It's kind of common when it comes to endorsement deals. When a person signs a deal with a company they are well aware of the fact that they have to watch what they say or do in fear that it might reflect badly on their company. Rappers especially so

There's no freedom of speech problem here nor a double standard really though. Ross said something that Reebok didn't like. they dropped him as a result of it. It's kind of common when it comes to endorsement deals. When a person signs a deal with a company they are well aware of the fact that they have to watch what they say or do in fear that it might reflect badly on their company. Rappers especially so

You are correct. So Ross really shouldn't be too bothered by this. I'm sure 50 Cent is getting a good chuckle though. Now when they start boycotting Def Jam or whoever he is signed to than it could become a problem. He or his label is going to have to cut a check to some Anti-rape organization/ Pro-women organization soon to squash this.

Last edited:
Anyway what about freedom of speech for Artist?

Thats exactly the problem, he was exercising his freedom of speech, and reebok didnt like it and dropped him. Thats their prerogative, I guarantee its in their contract somewhere.
Hes free to keep talkin' bout rape and whatever else he wants, but now without reebok.

Edit cause Im slow. Kelevra nailed it.

Last edited:
Thats exactly the problem, he was exercising his freedom of speech, and reebok didnt like it and dropped him. Thats their prerogative, I guarantee its in their contract somewhere.
Hes free to keep talkin' bout rape and whatever else he wants, but now without reebok.

Absolutely. Ross basically fvcked up what could have been a very lucrative deal with Reebok. Was it worth it? I wouldn't think so. Now the chance of getting any other endorsement deal is probably fvcked up too. No one is going to want to deal with the controversy. All over a lyric in a song that wasn't even his. SMH.

---------- Post added at 04:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

So with Tyga coming out in Ross' defense will Reebok kill his deal as well?

he gonna shake it off, take the loss and keep it moving.
im not really a fan, but its probly tru.
I remeber when TI first got locked up, he said he missed out on probly 11 mill that year.. he mighta been exagerating, but he just took the loss and kept it moving..

Ross will be iight..

Awww how stupid can you be.

Coulda left ONE TINY LINE out of the song and kept his deal, was it worth it for him ?

Awww how stupid can you be.

Coulda left ONE TINY LINE out of the song and kept his deal, was it worth it for him ?

^^^QFT. I'm sure he'll come out and say he didn't need that pocket change anyway but depending on how long his run last (continues) it could have been a lot of money.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

Freedom of speech strikes again...we'll see if chief keef drops this song or is made to change the lyrics.

Hip-Hop Rumors: Will Chief Keef Have A Similar Problem To Rick Ross? | AllHipHop.com

Last edited:
It's all dumb to me.

He flowed along with the song. Every bar ends with "U On Eee No It(U don't even know it)".

And as far as rape goes, he "slipped the chick a Molly", not a ROOFIE. People aren't familiar to the drug, so they jump to conclusions. If he had said "baked weed into the brownies she ain't eee kno it" no one would've related it to rape. If he had said "spiked the punch at the dance" people woulda overlooked the lyric, and yup, alcohol woulda lead to a rape quicker.

And I'm not condoning slipping a chick anything.

Just funny to me how all the sudden everyone wants to overanalyze rap. DMX blatantly said if you had a daughter older than 15 he was gonna rape her. And he actually was on trial for rape shortly after. No one played that back for the judge and the jury.

Last edited:
It's all dumb to me.

He flowed along with the song. Every bar ends with "U On Eee No It(U don't even know it)".

And as far as rape goes, he "slipped the chick a Molly", not a ROOFIE. People aren't familiar to the drug, so they jump to conclusions. If he had said "baked weed into the brownies she ain't eee kno it" no one would've related it to rape. If he had said "spiked the punch at the dance" people woulda overlooked the lyric, and yup, alcohol woulda lead to a rape quicker.

And I'm not condoning slipping a chick anything.

Just funny to me how all the sudden everyone wants to overanalyze rap. DMX blatantly said if you had a daughter older than 15 he was gonna rape her. And he actually was on trial for rape shortly after. No one played that back for the judge and the jury.

That's not the right line. It's the line after that.

"I took her home and I enjoyed that, she ain't e'en know it."

The double standard is the fact that all these so called "gangster" and "trap" rappers don't get their endorsements taken away from them for talking about gun violence and drug dealing.

---------- Post added at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

I read the headline and the first thought that came to my mind was, "niggas still wear Reebok?"

I was thinking the same thing.

The world is full of stupidity now a days. Plenty of money to throw away......let me get just a little bit....I mean damn! Give me a million dollars.....give us all a million dollars..shit! That will help the economy. I mean....16 trillion.......let's make it 16 quadrillion and include us all being comfortable....why not? By next year we will end up at 5 trillion a year on unemployment, disability, and innsurance fraud. 10 trillion a year on unnecessary study. 20 trillion on missile defense. 50 trillion for the first man on Mars. Let us all at least be have a million dollar jump start.......I mean damn!!! Throw that on the bill also.

Rice for President......YES WE DEFINITELY CAN!!!!

Trojan wants to give Cassidy millions for what? Should be gettin at RayJ and develop the ultimate pleasurable super orgasmic condom.....with a demonstration video.

Rice for marketing.......

Fuuck Reebok.....Nike.........let Wal-Mart get a hold to your knock offs. $$$$$$$$$$

You gone learn today!!!

Last edited:
DMX said that wow and only had his first album was that on there????????????

-Coach Antonio
Yeah, the DMX line always disturbed me. I was 18 myself when that came out, and I knew how wrong it was to have consentual sex with a 15 year old then, lol. It was on his first album. "X is coming for you".

Back