Have You Given Up Yet?

as20gp

Ghoul Gang
Seems like every time i come back here, its less people really talking about the moves theyre making and what theyre doing.

So what are YOU doing. Not what these other successful producers are doing, but what are you doing to follow your dreams.

or have you given up and just transformed into full time hobbyist?

Talk is cheap. I never talk about the moves i'm making or plan to make, but that's me. I think your like that too, u just pop up and be like by the way i did this track with so and so check it out. lol! Drew u a badd dude, but it's not like u to talk shit.

im just tryna keep people on competitive edge, ive been meeting a bunch of producers lately. And ive been meeting so many half way hobbyist professionals. Talk is never cheap. Your word is all you got

but its like, i meet producers and shit at the office cause i been running around at these labels and what not. And i meet so many cats that arent really active in being a producer or putting the work in, but wonder why they arent getting things done or get frustrated when things dont really work out how they want it

so its like.. are you a hobbyist? or a professional. Projects coming out everyday are you taking the steps to get after and Eat?

talk is never cheap though, i just dont talk on here cause i dont want people to think im bragging or im tryna talk down on people, so i just stay in the cut and socialize with cats on here. Not everybody is happy for your success so i just keep it moderate

I'm more inspired to make music than I have ever been before.
like Mwandishi said talk is cheap so I'm just say I had a great interview with a guy who do some great things that got me even more hyped.
I have been having fun of late with music and it hasn't been a grind. and I'm doing alot more writing for my site so this winter I'm bringing all the bells and whistles out. Next year is looking up to be a great year for me and my family and my business.
My goal is to never become super mainstream most ppl don't know Lecrae but he is doing amazing stuff in the christian world/genre and I pray to be doing the same. Moneywise the goal is to be making 70k a year steady in 7years from online ventures and being a landlord of 5 homes.
great post Drew.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
see thats wassup, and i rock with Lecrae i gotta get him some music i've been slacking, but i like his music a lot

Nope haven't given up. Still working full time 40 + hours a week, being a full time dad, I don't start work till about 10pm and finish around 3-4 and wake up in 4 hours. I stay dedicated. Currently mixing a track before work, while drinking some whiskey and eating my lunch lol

see thats wassup, and i rock with Lecrae i gotta get him some music i've been slacking, but i like his music a lot

also my father and law brought me Nexus this week and some great expansions/presets so that's been fun too. dope sounds.
I'm going to skip Komplete 8 for now...only thing I really want from NI is Massive. I'm not seeing it for sell alone on sweetwater.
Got to buy a new Van next year so I have to cut my upgrade budget from 6k to 2k.
but I don't need anything but new accurate monitors and some treatment mostly just a mixing cloud.

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
Good thread... Nothing worth doing will you not think about quitting at least once. Joseph Campbell's map of the hero's journey is a perfect example of the road to success.
graphictwo.gif

You can apply this to literally any story/movie/successful person and it will hold up.

I only have thought about quitting, when my music income doesn't match them damn student loan payments..then I think about how easy it is to cover those if I work a little harder.

Shit got real when I turned 25 though. "Can't gamble feeding the baby on that ASCAP money." I don't have kids. The sentiment is still there though.

Musicians have to be the most resilient people out there....you grind all your life putting yourself out there for people to either say you're wack or you have something worth saying. Low self-esteem is not a virtue in this field. Probably a big reason why so many artists check out temporarily all the time through alcohol and drugs.

Most of the best ideas in the world were created when the creator was at their lowest point in life. Struggle begats greatness, if you apply yourself. Just take JK Rowling the creator of the highest-selling children's series Harry Potter: J. K. Rowling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
never giving up. but damn it is hard as hell trying to do this out grammas house lol. everyone in my area has ADD and cant get work done no matter how much im poking and prodding. so what ive been doing is trying to connect with people outside my state which kinda sucks because im a salesman in person but over the internet i come off as a dry person. i do my best to sell through text or even just throw a beat to them for them to go over and it falls flat. sucks cause i hear person to person with producers has been lacking and i got that aspect but that falls on deaf ears here. smfh been working hard though, covering the angles and what have you.

In my mind I'm still only getting started.........

Honestly I feel like I have way too much talent with this music ish to not get places if I work hard at it..... it's like I'd be doing myself a disservice to quit

I'm 21 with no kids and like 6 months before I graduate and have to get a full time job/start thinking about moving out of my dad's house. But along with the personal responsibilities that I know are coming I'll also have more way more freedom to work/connect and a solid flow of income, which I've honestly never had before. 2013 holds a lot of promise in my eyes.

And Shoot as far as right now goes, I'm about to put out some new tracks and make the biggest online promo push I've made to date. Aiming to start it off sometime this week.

or have you given up and just transformed into full time hobbyist?

yup, pretty much :)

a new business venture has my full attention nowadays, beatmaking is now just a hobby and stress-relief.

aaaaaaaaaannnnd am all good with that!

i'm a hobbyist trying to perfect my craft before trying to make real cash with this, just working on my skills every single day. i made 800 for 8 beats recently (september) though. but i'm only working 20 hours a week and getting by so i don't really need this to be a career, if i was working 40 or more i'd be much more motivated to get cash for music. and i probably will have to work more within the next couple years, particularly if romney gets elected, so hopefully as i continue upping my music game i can get to the point where i have stuff that will sell easily.

Last edited:
In my mind I'm still only getting started.........

I'm 21 with no kids and like 6 months before I graduate and have to get a full time job/start thinking about moving out of my dad's house. But along with the personal responsibilities that I know are coming I'll also have more way more freedom to work/connect and a solid flow of income, which I've honestly never had before. 2013 holds a lot of promise in my eyes.

In the same boat as you. I got less than a year before it'll be time for me to move out.

I'm just doing a lot of reading right now. Focusing on school and trying to make sure my grades are in order. Not trying to get my GPA below a 3.0 so a lot of time is spent on schoolwork.

I have quit... (well, have I even started lol ?)

I'm still trying to come up with music that would be my own, still trying to mix Funk and electro (but not electrofunk, more like updated funk, the bounce and the good melodies)
But that's a mere hobby, we'll see what I make of it later, if I do.

As far as hiphop, I guess my material suck balls.

Last edited:
Decided to risk and went abroad for the holiday time to work and earn money for a real and better studio setup, upgrading from old shitty laptop plus old keyboard to a MacPro and some more equipment, so in general finally I can create my workspace that I will feel comfortable with. I am also taking piano lessons to improve my musical skills. To sum it up I recently realized how much I did to make progress with music, dedicating everything to work with better equipment and with more knowledge. My new goal is to be able to perform live acts like Hudson Mohawke (guy living a dream now) so I am also learning how to DJ with Ableton currently and how to transport songs from Live studio version to perform it live. As everything it's kinda hard and frustrating now, but I will master it someday.

In the same boat as you. I got less than a year before it'll be time for me to move out.

I'm just doing a lot of reading right now. Focusing on school and trying to make sure my grades are in order. Not trying to get my GPA below a 3.0 so a lot of time is spent on schoolwork.

lol, same exact boat as you & isk. Gonna be serving an internship (non-musically) in.....sh*t, 2 months. After that, I graduate in May, then hopefully get a steady line of income early on, move out & can support this whole music thing. If all that don't work out, then I guess I'll have to settle for doing broadcast production and camerawork for the NFL & NBA.....ohh well lol. Music will always be with me though.

Why give up..the annual publishing checks that come in quarterly.... are lovely.
After all the hard work in the beginning... seeing the fruits of my labor..... is worth the reward.

Last edited:
Back