Why aren't YOU making your own records?

j.troup

It's been talked about a million times. If you want to succeed as a producer/writer in the music industry, get with an artist and make some original records.

So the question is... WHY AREN'T YOU DOING IT???

WHAT'S YOUR EXCUSE????

(and don't give me that "this is a hobby" shit...cuz you're lying)

Getting with a artist dosent mean you will succeed Just like not getting with one dosen't mean you wont.
But this is a question ever producer should ask.

I can tell there will be a lot off stuff said in this thread but the truth to the matter is when you add the human element to the simplest things, they can become impossible. so theres your answer

Getting with a artist dosent mean you will succeed Just like not getting with one dosen't mean you wont.
But this is a question ever producer should ask.

I can tell there will be a lot off stuff said in this thread but the truth to the matter is when you add the human element to the simplest things, they can become impossible. so theres your answer

So the blame is on OTHER people? There are plenty of artists out there that want to make records. And beat makers on FP make beats all day every day.

And you're right, getting with an artist doesn't mean you will succeed. But NOT getting with one guarantees that you won't.

Because fans don't buy beats. Beats don't play on the radio. SONGS DO.

So your beats are no good until they are made into a SONG. That takes collaboration with a VOCALIST.

That sounds like an excuse.

It's part of a problem in rappers/producers. They want to be a leader.....I ain't trying to follow them. I want control of my own stuff....they want to control my stuff and their stuff. They want to be family for the "BEATS" and not the "career". They don't want to listen and then 4 years later try to tell you what you told them 4 years ago. I hate rappers. I tried to a few young dudes to rap as I write their raps and make their beats.......they would rather play MWF all day. smh. I hate rappers btw.

NOW......I have a fantastic writer. We conversate on a great level. She has the finance to make things happen. She has a bunch of degrees......she makes great money....and spends what she need to get things done. We work all the time.....she comes up with a quick idea and then we build that idea together. Finally after a while getting her more involved in being a songwriter more than Rihanna.

That's the thing....money. Not money for me at all...damn giving me some money on a beat..invest in your self. Weed is not investing in self. And the excuse of clothes being an investment doesn't work after so long.

Can't develop someone who thinks they are the next big thing because of the verse they made up last night. It would take who they really dream of working with to tell them what's wrong...not the pee on that is giving him the "free beats".

---------- Post added at 02:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

Because fans don't buy beats.

All of that can change. Vocal kits are growing in large numbers. Nobody understands what these rappers are saying today. It's blah..blah..blah til something simple is understood.

Last edited:
It's part of a problem in rappers/producers. They want to be a leader.....I ain't trying to follow them. I want control of my own stuff....they want to control my stuff and their stuff. They want to be family for the "BEATS" and not the "career". They don't want to listen and then 4 years later try to tell you what you told them 4 years ago. I hate rappers. I tried to a few young dudes to rap as I write their raps and make their beats.......they would rather play MWF all day. smh. I hate rappers btw.

NOW......I have a fantastic writer. We conversate on a great level. She has the finance to make things happen. She has a bunch of degrees......she makes great money....and spends what she need to get things done. We work all the time.....she comes up with a quick idea and then we build that idea together. Finally after a while getting her more involved in being a songwriter more than Rihanna.

That's the thing....money. Not money for me at all...damn giving me some money on a beat..invest in your self. Weed is not investing in self. And the excuse of clothes being an investment doesn't work after so long.

Can't develop someone who thinks they are the next big thing because of the verse they made up last night. It would take who they really dream of working with to tell them what's wrong...not the pee on that is giving him the "free beats".

See...that's the problem with beat makers...not saying you, but in general.

They are always looking for somebody to develop. Always looking for somebody to tell what to do. And they have absolutely NO clue how to "develop" someone. They've never been a singer, never been a rapper, don't know how to put records together, know nothing about marketing and promotions, know nothing about engineering...NOTHING.

But yet they wanna tell somebody what to do just cuz they can whip up a beat.

As a producer, your job isn't always to DEVELOP SOMEONE. It isn't always to tell someone what to do. It isn't to force your ideas on someone.

YOUR JOB AS A PRODUCER IS TO BRING THE ARTISTS VISION FOR THE RECORD TO LIFE.

PERIOD.

If you don't like it, then so what. A producer's job is to MAKE RECORDS.

And if you're not making records, then you're not a producer. PERIOD.

Make the records, get paid, and let people do what they want to do with THEIR RECORDS that THEY PAID FOR.

Producers are so attached to their precious beats, that they can't let them go. If you ever DO hit the industry big time, you won't have ANY of the level of control over what people do with your records, as you're trying to have now.

So recognize what your job is, and MAKE RECORDS.

I'm working with a client right now, who wants to make Kelly Clarkson / Katy Perry / Pink records. So guess who's doing girl pop right now? THIS GUY.

Because that's what she's paying for. And I'm making her some hot ass girl pop records right now.

Shit, right now, I'm writing a song called I KISSED YOUR BOYFRIEND. Like really? I'm a grown ass man! :cry:

But that's my JOB. Because I'm a producer/songwriter. And she's an 18 year old girl. And she's paying me nicely.

This is a BUSINESS. So do BUSINESS. GET PAID.

I think there are a lot of excuses as to why people never branch out. They may have a hard time working with others, they may be in the middle of nowhere, they may not be serious, etc.. I think everyone's excuse is gonna vary a bit.

I remember Rome said something like "If music is all you have, you'll be more serious about it." I've found this to be true. I think that's the real reason why some people don't push themselves as much as they could. Its not that they're not serious about music, its just that they have other things they can "live off". [eg: job, gf, parents,etc..] So being a music producer isn't a necessity.

With that said, I found myself in a position where music was all I had [long story] so I pushed myself to connect with others and make things happen. I had to do it all.

#HustleHard

i think a lot of producers on here arent really as serious as they claim, theyre still learning and like Traxx said dont want it for real. I mean you can hear it in the music who really wants it and who is just going through the motions.

people gotta stop making excuses and realize they are the sole reason why they arent where they want to be in their career.

I never sold a beat once .. I could have but I always said let make a song
I have however recorded over 1000 rappers/singers on the local level..

I was about songs and putting them on a mix tape(well CD).

I let the rappers or singer pick out two beats from my catalog they would make two songs.

I would give my input where needed but mostly it was up to them on the lyrics.

I just would explain overdubs,staying on beat,don't touch the mic,etc...I was always serious about decent hooks though

one song was for them to do whatever they wanted to do with

one song for me to put on a mix tape

I did 6 mixtape sold 1,000+ (out the trunk style $5 a piece) to family,friends,co-workers ppl I met on the street playing the music for them

I also did produced,mixed 3 mixtapes (which where for three different artists) and record and tracked a lot of my No Face crew's stuff
well one mix tape was industry beats for my boy Soul-R and was called the Attack of the Beat Jackers lol which I rapped on..
I rapped on all the mix tapes I was that I tracked and mixed

I was always told a had great lyrics..(Rass Kass mixed with Wu-Tang lol)

I also sold over 2,500+ cd of my first "album" which was secular back in the day actually the first thing I recorded lol and the mixes where horrible but the songs ppl loved lol...

then I found Christ started PRODUCING ppl from my Church HOME and and few other artists doing mixtapes and selling them just to get a buzz out

I have since stopped recording and don't plan on recording till 2014 at this point unless I hit up another studio for a parntership...
my goal for this year in business focus and 2013 get back into mixing for profit

those first years learning Cubase VST 5.0 and starting off making beats on the Playstation 1 MTV Music Generation(made some sick beats with
actually),then FL Studio 3, and Acid Pro was like boot camp

and now I have more knowledge on equipment then ever before so I taking my time to get back into the PRODUCING GAME

but I would like to have signed the three truly christian producers I been networking with along with a couple of blood-soaked singer/songwriters(music note writers and readers) to my production/song development division of my company by the middle of 2013(everything I do revolves around Christ so I can't just work with ANY ARTIST.

any artist I sign/produce has to be down with this mission statement and out on the grind personally spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ
Holy Lamb Media and Entertainment's goal is to provide high quality music literature,and business coaching/services, that has a strong position in testimony,theology,praise,worship,community outreach,and edifying the church. HLME has Holy Lamb Workers which is a group of youth
groups and volunteers with mindstates on community outreach,through the CHANGING HEARTS & MINDS NETWORK and the"GET OUT OF THE PEWS" CAMPAIGN.
Challenging the body of Christ to grow spiritually,to locally and globally get out the pews and witness amongst the people.

I actually got hit up last night with a email by christian singer/songwriter wanted to by down so I'm going to go look at his myspace as that the only online presence he has right now and he said it was old stuff..but I can always smell talent lol

here a song I tracked and mixed

also tracked and mixed this as well and hit a quick freestyle at the end

I was on a vacation from producing for a long time just making a few instrumental every month but now my passion is back over some struggles in my life and now I got my family comfortable and now my wife has my back and helping me to succeed in every way she can.

got some great business deals in the works and life is just amazing because of the lifestyle of serving Christ is kept first over music,family,money,work,business,etc...

I seek the kingdom first as all Christian should do I hope this encourages others to follow their passion

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve​

Finding the right artist is easier said than done my G.

right on point but at the same time the internet has open up the opportunities to find the right artist faster not easier but faster

I found three producers I want to sign to make production/song development division of my company but at the same time I'm taking it slow with them and making sure they are down truly with Christ which is must for me...(in finding the right talent)

Music Business Professional Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve​

Last edited:
And they have absolutely NO clue how to "develop" someone. They've never been a singer, never been a rapper, don't know how to put records together, know nothing about marketing and promotions, know nothing about engineering...NOTHING.

I'd say you answered your own question with this response. More than any "excuses" or laziness, I think most people simply do not know how to go about the full scope of producing. I'm not saying you need formal schooling in every one of these subjects (although, you can get it, if you'd like).

But it goes back to the discussion of "beatmaker vs producer" or, "What does a producer actually do?"

Producing a full record is in a different lane than making a beat and selling/leasing it to a rapper, which is what a lot of people out there seem to want to do. Or - like I said before -it's what they know how to do. Not saying that's a bad thing, either. But like Troup said, producing full records has advantages, so the people who have those skills will benefit.

I dunno I made my own mixtape. Working on my album now, so I guess I do already. Sold about 20 mixtapes all at 3 a pop in the last week. It may not be much but at least I'm getting my work out there at a price.

Finding the right artist is easier said than done my G.

That's just it.

It's not about finding the RIGHT artist at this level. It's about finding an artist "that'll do", and getting some RECORDS done, to showcase your talents and skill.

Shit, every producer in the world (no matter what level) would LOVE to find the RIGHT artist. But most times, you gotta pick the best artist of what you have available, and run with em until something better comes along.

Producers (and artists) at this level are too picky. Trying to dictate who they will and won't work with, trying to wait around for the RIGHT artist. And in the mean time, NO WORK is being done.

Do records. Cuz otherwise, you're just another guy that does beats in his bedroom.

That's just it.

Producers (and artists) at this level are too picky. Trying to dictate who they will and won't work with, trying to wait around for the RIGHT artist. And in the mean time, NO WORK is being done.

Hey, all good to me...let em sleep on the opportunity to grow. I'll take the work. Build. Then bubble.

Hey, all good to me...let em sleep on the opportunity to grow. I'll take the work. Build. Then bubble.

I have yet to find the RIGHT artist. So I work with the artist at my disposal. And I've done about 8 albums worth of work with the artists that were AVAILABLE.

And I've grown as a producer/songwriter/engineer because of it.

You're only as good as the songs you make.

you never knew who is gonna blow up, being a good producer is seeing potential in something thats not quite perfect

i knew Mac Miller was gonna be a star in 08.. now hes one of the biggest independent artists in the music industry

Most artists think they are the producer.

I find it really frustrating trying to get artist to see what I'm trying to tell them. I normally give up mid session and let them do whatever they want, lol.

I was recording this guy one time and he had his girlfriend in the room. He thought it would be cool to stick her name in the song, even though the song had nothing to do with her. I didn't want to hurt her feelings and tell him that it was corny, so I just ended the recording session early and let them stay there and grope each other.

I recorded another guy at the place he was staying at and he had a woman in the room that covered an entire twin bed, she was laying there asleep while he tried to do his best Ja Rule impression.

They always seem to think they know how the song is "supposed to go".

It's a big waste of time that normally ends with everybody being loaded. That's been my experience.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:30 PM ----------

I don't allow many people at my house so no recording happens at my place. People get sticky fingers if you have nice things. So disappointing to find out that most of your classic CD's have been taken out of the cases and stolen but the case was left where it was.

Plus people like to bring by random people that I don't know. I cut all of that out.

That's the reason I'd rather do remixes or have the vocals sent to me and not send the beat to the artist. It's happened a few times with collabo efforts on FP. A person says they want to use a beat and then they record to it. Their voice is on 10 and the beat is turned down to 2.

Producing untrained artists is for people with tons of patience. Something I don't have a lot of. Sometimes a person can freestyle and you'll like what you hear but they don't know how to write a song, some don't even know how to count bars, some just mimic their favorite rapper.

For every good artist there are 20 wack ones.

Last edited:
Back