Investing in rappers is a black hole?

Da Youngsta

A video director on twitter said this a while ago: Investing in rappers is a black hole. So:

Spending money recording, mixing & mastering mixtapes & albums that NO ONE is checking for or demanding?

Spending money on HQ videos to only get 57 views?

You gave out 10,000 CD's [properly packaged] that only 500 people bothered to listen to with no real response?

You spent money building a network with DJ's but none of your singles caught on?

Did you spend $50+ to get your music on iTunes just to get 2 sales a year?

In 2005, I was familiar with a lot of upcoming rappers that was on the scene pushing their music. In 2012, none of them have made it and have NO buzz.

Big Jay from Pyrex said:
Save your money and go buy yourself some rims, because this rap thing isn't for everybody. At least you won't waste your time and you'll have some rims.

Whats your take on this?

It happened because the rapper sucks. 300 people like a song (for real for real and not that being nice shit) then it's the match that starts the forest fire. I'm a strong believer in that. But rappers suck. We've heard it all. We've heard Eminem, Lil Wayne, Drake, ect. Nobody wants to hear the cheap knock off of them. And that's why. A female who raps worser than Niki (as far as trying to sound like her), who ass is smaller than Niki, who doesn't look as cute as Niki in her costume, videos are way lesser quality than Nikki's, stage presence suck, and a bunch of other rappers doing the same thing is going to put them in the skip this category....because they ain't Niki.

Rappers get this idea that they are good, when it's actually the opposite. It's not meant for them to be a rapper. They are not good actors either. If they were then maybe they would have a shot. It's hard getting ahead when you really on the same level as everyone else trying to get ahead. Even if it's different it still sounds like it fits in the same category as the rest. People can't be Soulja Boy or Lil B....they don't have the personality to be. People need to except that. It's more to them bars you spit. If you were made for this foreal, then even a shitty quality video of you sparks people attention. When that happens, it's the match that starts a forest fire.

People need to realize that. A person can tell a knock knock joke and make everybody laugh. Another person can tell that same joke and it ain't even funny at all.

Last edited:
It's a waste. Music is free.

That rapper will do a few 20 foot nightclub stages and get taken to Denny's afterwards by some fat girls. He'll ask each of them to borrow $50 at different times in the next week or so.

... it ain't what it used to be.

It happened because the rapper sucks. 300 people like a song (for real for real and not that being nice shit) then it's the match that starts the forest fire. I'm a strong believer in that. But rappers suck. We've heard it all. We've heard Eminem, Lil Wayne, Drake, ect. Nobody wants to hear the cheap knock off of them. And that's why. A female who raps worser than Niki (as far as trying to sound like her), who ass is smaller than Niki, who doesn't look as cute as Niki in her costume, videos are way lesser quality than Nikki's, stage presence suck, and a bunch of other rappers doing the same thing is going to put them in the skip this category....because they ain't Niki.

Rappers get this idea that they are good, when it's actually the opposite. It's not meant for them to be a rapper. They are not good actors either. If they were then maybe they would have a shot.

100% AGREE. Most rappers/beatmakers are just bored fans who need a day job or something to do. If you have the talent & drive you will make it. I remember when I 1st heard of Kendrick Lamar or J. Cole like 3 or 4 years ago. The quality & creativity of their work made me want to hear whatever they had coming in the future. This type of reaction is what you need to get from fans in order to catch on as an artist. Most entertainers take the wrong route & use their fam & friends to gauge their talent. You're better off getting the opinions of people you don't know & who don't know you.

Last edited:

Rappers get this idea that they are good, when it's actually the opposite. It's not meant for them to be a rapper. They are not good actors either. If they were then maybe they would have a shot.

I have to also add something here.
rappers are a damn a ****in dozen
MCs are a dime for half a dozen.
A GOOD MC is hard to find.
A GOOD, VISUALLY APPEALING MC is priceless.
if you guys have gone to Open Mics you'll see the following type of cats, that will not make it. Not IMO, you ask me it's fact.
1. The cat who is (as 901 said) trying to do something already done and does it POORLY or just SOLIDLY.
2. The group who goes up on stage and yells at you. They say put your hands in the air but never gave you a reason to like them enough to do it.
3. The cats who think dope lyricism on it's own moves crowds.
4. The cat's who assume a bunch of gimmicks move crowds.
5. The cat who can not for his life have confidence, or project himself well.
6. The cat who can't make the crowd laugh, smile or feel GOOD about viewing his performance or feel like they're witnessing something WORTHY.
7. The cat who can't write a good written yet anyways.
8. That cat you can NEVER hear! Hides behind the beat whether purposefully or not.
9. This is the most abundant one...the cat who IS NOT MEANT TO BE AN MC and REFUSES to shape him/her self into one.

In short, you're on a stage, in a bar/club/restaurant/venue. People go to enjoy music. People go to have a good time.
do you bring that? and do you bring it well? And no bringing it well doesn't mean you practiced your dope verse over and over...MOVE CROWDS.
No matter how much money you spend, if you can't ENTERTAIN you're losing clout with the crowds, which ultimately should be your greatest source of income.

I'm sittin downtown chilling. I meet two different bums. One asked me if I had any change to spare....I said no. He went on about his business. I see him going to different people asking people the same thing. There is another bum sitting next to me and struck a conversation with me. He is crying about his mother passing, showing me pictures of her. He didn't ask me for change or nothing. People bringing him food from McDonalds, giving him money. We had a real good conversation....became a little buddy. lol!

I see him the next day and he opened up around me. This lady walks up to him and says "here, I brought you something to eat." He says "thank you very much". She walks away. He turns to me and say "fuuck wrong with that biitch? I don't eat this shit!! I eat steak.....big juicy steaks." He asked me what time it was and I told him 3pm. He gave me $10..told me to go buy him a pack of cigarette and him a pack. So I did. Told me keep the change. This man (looks like a lawyer or something) stepped out of the building as the bum walks towards him. He comes back and says "maybe next week will be better from him. I usually get $500 from him." He was getting big dollars like that from like 6 different people a week! He was a true people type person. Can sell a fish a raincoat. Miss that dude actually. lol! Cool dude.

My point. Everybody doesn't have that spirit of reaching people mentally. A person is not selling them self because they have nothing worth selling that makes people want to buy. Two dudes at two different times rapping on the train. One is rapping like an Eminem type getting told to please STFU. The other sounds like Kool Moe Dee from back in the days and got everybody clapping. When you see him you want that feeling he gave again, not really the lyrics.

If the majority of these rappers were on Showtime at the Apollo they would get booed. They really haven't had a chance to get the shit booed out of them because they run from it. They stay within the safe zone to feel like they are next up. So yeah, it's a waste of money. You gotta see what the people are feeling in you to make some money.

Last edited:
Hip Hop is dead

:bat:

Pop, is where it'$$$$$ at. Ask Rihanna, Gaga, Swift, Derulo :D

Even Lil Wayne is crossing over into pop territory

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

The swagaholics killed Hip Hop

^^^^^^^^^They are all good "performers". Lil Wayne can still do rap and not cross over. If he wasn't a great performer then when he cross over it wouldn't make a big difference. People enjoy a good performer, a good actor. People don't like to see a video of some rap dude standing with 8 other dudes and just rapping....no imagination to give people. Then he is going to get on stage and give you.......no imagination.

Wrong in so many ways.

Last edited:
I connect with this perfomer and he make me laugh and even cry in joy!!!!
this is the kind of music I plan out bringing out of my company

Last edited:
@ Rice's story...

I used to work in downtown Seattle, people used to ask for change. My friend used to give them so much it would knock the cup out of their hand. He felt good about it. I didn't give them a damn dime.

Know why? One day I was at the light and a woman and a guy were both homeless (supposedly), they were selling a homeless news paper called "The Change". I overheard the woman tell the guy that she gets a disability check from the state and she just saves the entire thing and lives off of the money people give her on the street. She said she had over $15,000 in the bank and that she comes out because she's bored. She had an apartment too. So her thing was to just to walk out of her apartment looking like hell and say "Can you spare some change?" and stack her disability checks and have more in the bank than most working people.

Also, there's a tourist area down there where kids sit on the sidewalk and look like run-a-ways. People throw all kinds of money in their hats. I used to feel sorry for them until I saw one kid that had a bunch of money in her hat get up, take the money and take it to this lady that was sitting a little ways away from her. The lady took all of the money and the kid took the hat and went and sat back on the sidewalk and made it look as if the hat were empty - to get sympathy from the tourists. I ate my lunch and kept glancing over there, she emptied the hat again before I finished my lunch.

... she was making more an hour than I was, lol. The lady that was taking the money was probably just there for protection or to call 9-1-1 if anything went down. I also saw kids with fake casts on walking on crutches.

If they can say "Can you spare some change?" they can say "Welcome to McDonalds, how may I help you?"

Hold on to your dough! Charities are the way to go!

Last edited:
True. But being a bum can also be big business. Like people who sell water filters. I worked for a company and quit right before they got busted. They were scamming people big time. Even if they had a great water filter system their "free test" would show that their water was filthy.......but theirs were very clean. I was in sales. I couldn't take getting cussed out by people. lol. It was around the time the law was passed about telemarketing being illegal so they did surveys to people's house and offered them a free water inspection. I was getting cussed out left and right by people so it was feeling more like an illegal business. They got busted like a month later.

My friend was in sales, he used to try to sell cable door to door, lol.

He didn't last long... he said he went to some ladies apartment and she came to the door and looked at him and started screaming "WE DON'T WANT ANY! WEEEE DOONNN'TTTT WANNNTTT ANNNYYYY!!!!" and slammed the door in his face, lol.

He quit.

35000 views only since 2007? What's wrong with these people? LOL That was good arrangement and singing.

I wish I had a VST for that j/k

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Heh, this explains it: The original vid has 5 million hits. That's more like it.

^^^^^you can Move the Crowd anywhere if you can move the crowd. No fame, no gimicks needed, just talent.

Aye... did you see that guy sitting on the porch on WSHH...

lol, that dude is awesome. Guarantee! He'll be on Lil Wayne's label by the end of February.

He has on a white shirt and a hat, he's rapping and banging a beat on the porch railing.

(sounds like he borrowed his flow from Scarface though...)

Last edited:
It's a waste. Music is free.

That rapper will do a few 20 foot nightclub stages and get taken to Denny's afterwards by some fat girls. He'll ask each of them to borrow $50 at different times in the next week or so.

... it ain't what it used to be.

crying........

All entertainment is a shitty biz to be in. It's easier to sell soap, underwear or sod and you'll become a millionaire quicker. Any business that you have to be LIKED is bad for passive investing. Folks are still lying and talking about the "love" and "creativity"...for those of us who have grown up, the name of the game is $. With that said, I don't engage in helping folks make "demo's" anymore nor do I bother people who are not craving an artist music. No freebies! We are going to sell the album/show/merchandise or we are not. When you sell music like one sell's a cargo container of toothpick's, reality and pragmatism rewards you!

Back