Simple is better

G

Gilson

Always been a firm believer in simpler beats are the best. Simple drums (gotta have good drums sounds/break), nice sample loop

Post some examples

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

BTW that day one beat is easily one of the hottest beats ever made (to me)

i definately agree simplicity is key. people try to do so much to their beats when really not much is needed for the beat to be interesting enough for a rapper

A good hip hop beat should set a backdrop for lyrical syncopation rather than set the pace for some cheerleader with nothing to say and no space to say it in.

One of the best beats i've ever heard is a milli, and is just a drum pattern, snare pattern (separate) & the "a milli" voice sample; IMO one of the hottest beats ever made

Yeah I agree 100%. Plus from a rapping side of things you can get across what you want to say without hiding behind the beat.

I agree but.. Then again.
If you just listen to the BEAT itself, The instrumental.. It gets repetitive and boring quick..
Thats why the legends blessed them how they did.
Like example, Mass Appeal from Gangstar, Hot ass track.. Classic.
But I cant listen to that instrumental for 10 seconds..

Simple beats are made from GOOD writers.. These days, most rappers aint saying much so they look for the hottest beat out there to compensate for the lack of substance.

i don't necessarily think simpler = better, but i do think SIMPLICITY is what makes music catchy.

Last edited:
classics!!!

i feel it's good to have some change ups in a beat nowadays though. simple tracks is cool if your gonna just flow with no hook. now that we have extra memory and all this 21st century technology, we can take sampling to a whole other level. me personally though, if i find a good loop in the sample, i'll chop that 4 or 8 second loop, then add some drums to it then go back to the sample and find another piece to chop and loop. it's all your personal preference. it's cool to keep it simple, but also add a little technique in there as well. :)

Most of my favorite beats are simple and repetitive loops.

But when it comes to my beats I like to have change ups every 2-4 bars. Go figure.

this is true the simple shit be the most talented piece of work dont forget the arrangement makes the song great also

Most of my favorite beats are simple and repetitive loops.

But when it comes to my beats I like to have change ups every 2-4 bars. Go figure.

I agree a bit here. A lot of my favorite beats are straight loops.

I also agree with change ups in my beats. I do indeed do a lot of loop shit or just stuff with few change ups, but I like to go for change ups and shit. It lets you experiment more, plus I want to try and get a different sound going from other people.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/Entropicthought?feature=mhum#p/a/f/0/fpx36cvaCiQ[/video]

^^^Simplicity in the beat, yet amazing. And amazing rhymes.

I agree with you on "simple" is better... that's the way most #1 hits are created.

Back