My way to beat copyright laws

Boy you 35 still livin with moms you need to stop it..lol

Im 24 living on my own... Boi stop. Everyone on FP knows this... cept trolls like ya'self.

LMAO 35 livin at home, where do these kids come up with these statements?

Last edited:
why dont you kids stop flaming each other and stick to the thread...grow up..just because your behind your computer doesnt mean your should talk shit to everyone.
anyways i say go for it no one going to catch you

sample-based hip hop producers run into the dilemma of "can I use this sample in my beat?"

There have been a long line before you of crate diggers that chopped up samples to compose a mix of used samples.

In a dated interview question on 8/9/2006 about clearing samples, 9th Wonder was quoted as saying: "only if you plan to sell a million copies, you're good, unless you're sampling the Beatles, Prince, Michael Jackson, or something obvious."

sample-based hip hop producers run into the dilemma of "can I use this sample in my beat?"

There have been a long line before you of crate diggers that chopped up samples to compose a mix of used samples.

In a dated interview question on 8/9/2006 about clearing samples, 9th Wonder was quoted as saying: "only if you plan to sell a million copies, you're good, unless you're sampling the Beatles, Prince, Michael Jackson, or something obvious."

I mean... you can follow 9th Wonder's saying if you'd like... but you have to realize that we're in a new day & age. Government is hurting for money... budget cuts in DoD are approaching an all time high... and fast. With that said, the IRS is out harder than every trying to recuperate lost tax dollars from every angle. With this strategy (using the internet) he's leaving a trace for the IRS to look into from running an illegal home business first of all, not paying taxes on his income, as well as unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material.

Lol... it's funny to me that people forget about things that are a part of their daily lives. Swiss Beats was just recently found to owe $2.6M in taxes still... and I'm sure he's been paying what he thought he owed. Who knows in reality, but I wouldn't think his team would be dumb enough to say "**** taxes". And after 3 years or so when all that interest is calculated... $5.00 easily turns into $200.00.

Do what you want man... but you can't feel bad when you've been told all of the consequences. And if the IRS gets ahold of it... you better believe that there WILL be a chain effect and RIAA will follow with their suit.

Now sampling and NOT selling the mixtape ONLINE, but offering feebee's... you can get away with it easily. But if you're selling (or pretending that they're donating) them, don't leave a trail.\

That's my last statement on the issue.

I'm gonna make a computer program that tells you a list of songs to buy and it spits out my chopped beats from that.

SilentKillah,

I agree with you that the government and its revenue service is hurting for income. But they get $0 from any kind of lawsuit from copyright infringement, other than the miniscual cost they charge for a suit to be filed in court.

Operating as a music "contractor" is relatively easy accounting. And as any business starting out there are a boatload of expenses that can be written off. Still, quarterly estimated taxes are paid just as any other professional business entity. This has nothing to do with copyright ethics, and is general business economics. Things that can be easily learned from any introductory Running A Business 101 book.

Again, IRS has absolutely nothing to do with copyright issues in music.

And if you're putting out underground hip hop that is going to be made to perform at local bars/clubs and slang some CDs on the side, I highly doubt a copyright holder will come after your hustle.
Although you are right in the aspect of knowing what consequences you face if you are pinched. I don't always drive the speed limit either, but I hold my own and give respect where due.

Last edited:
SilentKillah,

I agree with you that the government and its revenue service is hurting for income. But they get $0 from any kind of lawsuit from copyright infringement, other than the miniscual cost they charge for a suit to be filed in court.

That was not my point at all. Not about the IRS getting paid off of the lawsuit anyways. My point was that he WILL be audited. The dude is trying to scam on making income... you really think he will be paying taxes on that income? And AFTER word gets out about the illegal business, the RIAA WILL take care of the rest. That's the point... not that the IRS is going to get paid off of the lawsuit itself, but it will trigger a chain reaction.
Operating as a music "contractor" is relatively easy accounting. And as any business starting out there are a boatload of expenses that can be written off. Still, quarterly estimated taxes are paid just as any other professional business entity. This has nothing to do with copyright ethics, and is general business economics. Things that can be easily learned from any introductory Running A Business 101 book.

Again, IRS has absolutely nothing to do with copyright issues in music.

Agreed... but again... do you really think dude is going to be paying taxes on a faudulent business? I see TONS of back taxes that he will owe once he gets audited. No lawyer is going to want to fight on his behalf when the business was a fraud.

And if you're putting out underground hip hop that is going to be made to perform at local bars/clubs and slang some CDs on the side, I highly doubt a copyright holder will come after your hustle. Although you are right in the aspect of knowing what consequences you face if you are pinched. I don't always drive the speed limit either, but I hold my own and give respect where due.

Agreed for the most part... but this isn't just a speeding violation that could you may end up paying $250.00 for. This could easily turn into $100,000.00 and I believe more depending on how well this fraudelent business does. From both back taxes and the interest on those taxes, and the RIAA lawsuit which will most likely follow when word gets out about the fraud business. That's all I want to point out.

Last edited:
Hmm... On some real sh*t and i know some people will think im trippin for saying this but the reality is were im from if you getting sued by any of them companies your doing good in life lol i got the right idea then i guess i just need the right plan.

Locally i'm known as a good producer and producing for local artists which is a start! I really need to step my net game up with a youtube channel, my own website ( is under construction ), upload more on soundcloud & network more, step my work rate up, i mean you cant be professional with a amature work rate. I got the contacts to get my product to the best of the best in the uk its just about getting the right product to them so as much as focusing on the business, promoting & networking side put twice as much work into my music!
I'm taking a year off college to really give breaking the barriers so i got time now. I figured the more "known" you are the better in the producing world but i really didn't get in this for the fame i love music but the love don't pay bills. Im 17 and time isn't waiting up on me i can't be relying on hustling on the side to pay my way through life so its either music or find a job sometimes i think f*ck music this won't work out, but would i rather be slaving my ass off treated like shit by some business owner for minimum wage or give myself a chance to be somebody in life and struggle a little? When your reality is a nightmare you can't blame me for praying on a dream so before some smart ass middle class person starts telling me what he thinks is best stop because you don't know my struggle. You only get one chance in life and only i will learn from my own mistakes & wrong choices and only i will benifit from the right decisions and risks i will take.

Hmm... On some real sh*t and i know some people will think im trippin for saying this but the reality is were im from if you getting sued by any of them companies your doing good in life lol i got the right idea then i guess i just need the right plan.

You have a LOT to learn man. You pay income taxes regardless of how much money you make... as long as you made over $400.00 ($800.00 if you're married) the pervious year. Getting audited by the IRS is a NORMAL occurrence! Everyone that is over the age of 18 with a social security number is at liberty of being audited. It doesn't mean that you're doing good in life at all.

RIAA suing people for downloading, and selling bootleg CD's and DVD's on the street? Do you really think they're doing good in life?

Alright...seriously... no more from me. Do what you want homie... live your life.

How does girl talk get away with it? He gives away his albums for free, but one may choose to donate $ to him as well...

^^It hasn't caught up with him yet... that's all. Once company makes a move though... it's a chain reaction... just watch it unfold. Just like R Kelly... nobody said a word until 1 stood up, then other others follow suit. But it's also why i say live your life... I'm just listing the possible consequences.

Im from the uk the RIAA who?

We all have to pay tax i know im a freelance music producer, i set up my label n business bank account all my earnings go into there at the end of the year i get taxed on what i make. Tell me something i didn't know... lol watch some smart ass really tell me something i didn't know now haha

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:34 AM ----------

How does girl talk get away with it? He gives away his albums for free, but one may choose to donate $ to him as well...

Tell them son! lol

RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America. Disregard about them... didn't realize you were in the UK. They won't touch you.

I don't know how taxes work in the UK, but in the US, you pay income taxes, and it's not automatic in the case that you run your own business. Then you have to file taxes every year. You either get a return, break even, or owe more depending on what you paid in accordance with how much income you had.

So basically just disregard all I said... live your life son. Have fun.

RIAA = Recording Industry Association of America. Disregard about them... didn't realize you were in the UK. They won't touch you.

I don't know how taxes work in the UK, but in the US, you pay income taxes, and it's not automatic in the case that you run your own business. Then you have to file taxes every year. You either get a return, break even, or owe more depending on what you paid in accordance with how much income you had.

So basically just disregard all I said... live your life son. Have fun.

Nah man i will still take in what you saying i respect you for giving me advice and making me look at the consequence side of things.
Don't mean to go off topic or anything but if any of you have twitter follow me @Shannon_Jack

Im followin, follow back @Jay_Lip_Pro

Yeah man i'm following back

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 AM ----------

Why do people think think record companies just have dudes that sit around all day and listen to music to find samples that aren't cleared ??
I mean Really tho

THIS IS A GOOD READ
http://futureofmusic.org/blog/2008/08/28/girl-talk-and-sample-license-clearance-process

Nobody ever mentioned record companies having dudes that sit around all day smh i will check that out though

Last edited:
yea like everyone said nobody will bother with you if you not selling a lot of units especially in UK.

off topic:
''Shanon Jack'' are you the same user as SCWbeats? The dude with that "epic willie hutch" thread that was in Flip this section awhile ago.

Back