crate digging poetry?

booma_Musik

idk if any of y'all are into this, I've taken multiple cracks at trying to paint a picture of what crate digging is like(at least for me), with words. i just finished up with this joint a couple minutes ago, it's called "crate diggers ballad." any body else got some crate digging poetry they wanna share?

peep-

The record shop's door swings open, as his eyes light up with wonder like street lights in the dead of night. He removes his head-phones & inhales deeply, as his eyes scan the room; as a soldier's eyes would a battlefield, sizing up potential opponents. "Let's do this." He approaches the nearest dusty, pastel-colored milk crate & begins to thumb through the worn down, pre-owned records impulsively; as if it were itself a bodily function. "Columbia, Mercury, Blue Note, Solar, Capitol, Atlantic." He checks off his favorite labels, carefully selecting records, setting them aside; guarding them from fellow diggers: just as a Lion guards it's kill from scavengers in the scorching heat of the Kalahari. Milk crate after milk crate, isle after isle of records, he repeats this simple process; until the stack of Vinyl underneath his arm is too heavy to bear, and he is forced call it a day. He reluctantly approaches the clerk & makes his purchase, placing the admirably thick stack of vinyl inside his book-bag & throwing it over his back, as he turns towards the door. Placing his head phones back on his head, he glances back as he exits the shop, smirking. "I'm not done with you yet," He thinks to himself, as if telling the record shop; as it very well knows: this is by far the last time it'll be seeing him..

any feedback would be hella appreciated..I'd like some input as to how well I captured the essence of what it's like for most of us..I was trying to put the reader right there in the record shop, right there in my head...

Funny, I'm doing basically the same thing. Crate Diggers song
Not done with it yet. I cant really judge what you have fully as I just skimmed through it, but it seems cool what I did process in the good ol' brain.

Nice I guess, doesn't sound like my digging trips though, it's sort of really general.
thanks, was kinda going for a general thing actually. my goal was to give someone who knows NOTHING about crate-digging, a short glimpse into what it's like. i know if I went all out & started using ALL the vinyl terminology, etc most cats around here probably know; it'd confuse the hell outta newbies as oppose to teach them. see what i'm saying?

but im curious, what would you have added/removed from my ballad? what are your trips more 'like'?

I didn't know it was supposed to be educational.

I'd probably talk about the senses; The dust, the antiquated smell, the colours of the music.

It's like a poem in itself, the hardest thing to describe is what you're actually looking for, what properties it would have and I think that becomes obvious in the making music stage.

If I ever make an album it will come a whole book of poems, so...

I'm pretty good.

I didn't know it was supposed to be educational.

I'd probably talk about the senses; The dust, the antiquated smell, the colours of the music.

It's like a poem in itself, the hardest thing to describe is what you're actually looking for, what properties it would have and I think that becomes obvious in the making music stage.

If I ever make an album it will come a whole book of poems, so...

I'm pretty good.
the antiquated smell heh..word, I see where your going

I'll prolly end up re-writing my ballad, it's like a rough-rough draft

thanks for the critiques though..funny you mention how the hardest thing is describing what I'm actually looking for.

in FACT (don't know if this applies to others than myself) but 99.9% of the time I have no idea what I'm looking for when I enter a vinyl spot. more of a "let it come to me" kinda deal. lemme thumb through everything in the store & break out the portable turntable, when I hear something hott, i'll know.

You should also think of the appearance/shape of your poem (not meaning the form of a poem, but the visuality), it's also one nice aspect of written poetry. You can use it to emphasize things.

See: http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15332

haha, thanks. I was actually trying to figure out where to put some breaks/start a couple new lines a second ago. it does look a bit convoluted in that big hunk of a paragraph. :cheers:

Last edited:
Ya, what jyri said.

Also, I think there could be a lot more detail in it. More descriptions and metaphors to keep it interesting. I know it's for someone who knows NOTHING about digging, but there's a lot more that could be said.

It's a good start though. A lot better than I could do!
Keep us updated

I dont mean to hijack your thread booma, but I'm inviting diggers to share a digging story to feature on my song, (those of which will take the place of a traditional chorus.) I would like to keep them short, but I'm also think if they ARE rather lenthy, they'll probably get cut but, fully featured in a "Crate Diggers Stories" mini-series or something.

I'll quote this in a new thread as well.

Back