youtube vs vinyl can you tell the difference?

can you tell the difference

• both are from vinyl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
didnt listen to them yet, I am only on a laptop right now but

both files are mp3, even if one break was from a vinyl, the audio signal is converted to mp3 format with is a lossy format so you already downgraded a 'vinyl' version one.

I can't tell the difference most of the time (as long as both of the recordings are taken properly). MP3 at 192kbps and above is good enough for me.

2 is head and shoulders above 1, anybody who can't hear that is in the wrong business. I can still hear compression artifacts in 2 though, like smokymo said uploading as mp3 defeats the purpose of a uncompressed vs compressed comparison.

2 is head and shoulders above 1, anybody who can't hear that is in the wrong business. I can still hear compression artifacts in 2 though, like smokymo said uploading as mp3 defeats the purpose of a uncompressed vs compressed comparison.

yea. my bad

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 PM ----------

then again wont the listener be listening to your music as an mp3

then again wont the listener be listening to your music as an mp3

Not always. I work with artists who do not do digital distribution (i think its retarded but still) but when mixing a song is where the problem presents itself in the mp3 vs vinyl argument. You are taking something in its final form to be used in a mix and comparing it to something that is going to be mixed and altered. But neither really has that vinyl sound. It actually sounds more like mp3 vs cd but if I took a shot in the dark I would say sample 2 is from vinyl.

It actually sounds more like mp3 vs cd but if I took a shot in the dark I would say sample 2 is from vinyl.

It will be a shot in the dark unless we do this as a blind test from a trustworthy source. We will need both of the samples uncompressed and the vinyl rip must come through proper gear and be in the best possible condition (as essentially your youtube source may have been recorded in the best manner available and most likely originally from vinyl anyway).

In the end, this is one of the dumbest things to focus on when making hip hop music. Hit/classic records have been made in this genre using mono 8bit 22khz samplerates on the MPC to save space. If you can't get quality out of even a 96kbps stereo sample...you need to find a new profession.

We hear so much about "quality" in a biz where when the rapper finally adds his vocals and sends the track to mastering it's gonna be molded to an entire different entity in the process anyway(could be good, could be bad). But IMO "quality control" is a cop out. People waste time focusing on it because they have no real contribution to making GOOD MUSIC which is all that ultimately matters when the right engineer can take a 2track 128kbps mp3 of your finalized song and make it sound better than average "producer" could with the tracked out files in the best "quality" possible.

In the end, this is one of the dumbest things to focus on when making hip hop music. Hit/classic records have been made in this genre using mono 8bit 22khz samplerates on the MPC to save space. If you can't get quality out of even a 96kbps stereo sample...you need to find a new profession.

We hear so much about "quality" in a biz where when the rapper finally adds his vocals and sends the track to mastering it's gonna be molded to an entire different entity in the process anyway(could be good, could be bad). But IMO "quality control" is a cop out. People waste time focusing on it because they have no real contribution to making GOOD MUSIC which is all that ultimately matters when the right engineer can take a 2track 128kbps mp3 of your finalized song and make it sound better than average "producer" could with the tracked out files in the best "quality" possible.

:( but i believe in quality control and people like my beats

people like my beats

Cmon now don't lie :P :P

knowsyousuck.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back