Would You Trust Instant Robot Mastering With An Algorithm??

Paschalis I.

MusicProductionTips.net
Hello there guys, I have heard about landr and I thought to actually test it out on an EDM song.

I have personally mastered the song and then imported the exact same song on the website to master it for me.

Here are the results and my personal opinions around it so far:

Would you trust an automatic mastering software for your productions?
Do you agree, disagree with me in any way?

I'd really like to hear your thoughts around it, all constructive criticism is welcome!

I'd rather do my own work. For one, its always free for me to do my own work. Secondly, I like to learn and develop my skills so that I can apply that experience to other's music. I don't know how landr works, but it could be outdated if the standards for masters ever change (or are set on a more global perspective). On the other hand, it would be nice if landr can master your song to some specific requirements (ex: getting a master at -13 LUfs or -8 RMS).

I've heard mixed perspectives about it from a bunch of different people. It just doesn't fit my personal style. At the end of the day if it sounds good, then it is.

While algorithms can really improve, it will be really difficult to have a feeling. Sometimes leaving something "wrong" on purpose is what makes some mixes unique and an algorithm won't be able to judge this. Unless we're at year 2.470 :P

It's never going to be as good as a professional master but it might be better than the damage a moron like me might do.

Last edited:
^^^Someone gets it.

It's an alternative. Not the "best" alternative, but, an alternative. If you don't have a real mastering engineer and are about to try to "wing it" yourself or get some rinky-dink person you're skeptical of to do the job, why not? If it sounds better, use it, if it doesn't, next option is $5 masters on Fivver, lol.

People don't want to admit it, but 3 things are constantly happening in music. 1. Technology keeps moving forward. 2. with the lack of a "consumer" base that once existed of audiophiles who wanted a CD or record to play on their $1,000 system(starting), a degraded quality is no longer going to "make or break" your song. Majority of people are just gonna play it through iPhones and laptop speakers, they won't care if it's streamed from youtube at 420p, they're not paying that close attention. 3. Listeners today have short attention spans. Before anyone pops the song in a better system to give it a play, they'll have moved on to the next song that you should have ready to go as well.If it does blow up, they'll just take your files to a real studio to polish everything up.

Don't over read what I'm saying. Quality matters, but it's no reason to stall putting out your music. Put a band-aid on if you can't get stitches and let it run it's course before you bleed to death, lol. :cheers:

Last edited:
People don't want to admit it, but 3 things are constantly happening in music. 1. Technology keeps moving forward.
Don't over read what I'm saying. Quality matters, but it's no reason to stall putting out your music. Put a band-aid on if you can't get stitches and let it run it's course before you bleed to death, lol. :cheers:

I can hear the hardcore analog fanboys screaming inside them :D

I think it's best for early beginners who have no interest in learning anything about mastering. Me personally, I'd rather have total control over the feel/vibe of my track.

I think it's best for early beginners who have no interest in learning anything about mastering. Me personally, I'd rather have total control over the feel/vibe of my track.

But you control the feel/vibe of the track during recording/mixing and if you know how to mix, mastering is easy as heck. You can easily just put a maximizer on masteing if you mixed the track properly :)

Back