Witch comes first EQ or Compression?

monty5429

Is there any certain order in witch I do these first, beacuse I have noticed that when I do compression first my overall output gain lowers significantly.

First EQ , then compress. If you are compressing freq. that needs to be cut anyway , that unwanted freq. will just trigger compressor more.

Definitely EQ, you have to use compressor carefully and with full understand of how it works

There are definitely various theories on signal chain order, but generally, EQ comes first.

As to compression lowering your output, that is why there is a "make-up gain" knob. Adjust accordingly.

GJ

It always depends. Sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes both.

If there is some part of the sound that you don't like, get rid of it first with EQ, or the compressor is doing extra work for no reason. If the sound is already perfect, then there is no need to EQ first.

If you compress and it sounds great, then you are all finished. If you compress and it colours the sound in a manner you don't like, you have to EQ after compression.

It all depends on if the witch is wicked or not

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :4theloveofgod:

It always depends. Sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes both.

If there is some part of the sound that you don't like, get rid of it first with EQ, or the compressor is doing extra work for no reason. If the sound is already perfect, then there is no need to EQ first.

If you compress and it sounds great, then you are all finished. If you compress and it colours the sound in a manner you don't like, you have to EQ after compression.

Best response. Short answer amongst everybody me included, is EQ first. That's how I learned from Mixing Engineers. All you guys gave great tips though cause yes it doesn't seem OP truly understands how compression works. I still study the basics as a refresher...

Back