Why is pro tools so bad?

upinsmoke

So I got a free copy of pro tools and it amazes me how terrible it itself is and Avids customer support.

They wont let my account even post on their forum for whatever reason and they charge 40 dollars for ONE phone call

Does anyone know why pro tools is so down right garbage?

Pro Tools is not bad, it's just designed to run on massive hardware rigs.

It is a Pro level program (hence the name), and not a consumer or pro-sumer grade daw like how most people use it.

Avid makes its money from HD rigs, and if I was them, I wouldn't care about your free copy either.

The truth is until you're running Pro Tools HD, you will always be using a severely lightened version.

I love Pro Tools when in big studios, but for my home studio I run S1 because PT is overkill and a nuisance on consumer grade hardware.

It makes perfect sense. They have an entire WORLDWIDE studio demographic dating back over 20 years to be catering to. This is where they make their ACTUAL money. They call in with real, important, VERY time sensitive issues; They don't need noobs calling in everyday to customer support asking how to make their drums stand out.

Pro Tools is far from garbage.

Last edited:
I was just pissed off that it wouldnt work for me to be quite frank im sure its a great program if youre someone who knows how to use it. Which I am not.

Anyway I just thought thered be more resources for customer support available from Avid not a big deal as I just got Reaper which worked for me first try and has been great and easy to use.

And MYCBEATS I agree that they obviously arent gonna pay much attention to a free version but if it wasnt such a pain to simply find out how to track beats onto they couldve had a new customer as one day as I progressed I most likely would have stuck with pro-tools having already learned about it. So I mean I might be a noob to DAWs but at the end of the day they should try to make their product as easy to manuver or have customer service which can help you do so to avoid losing customers.. My take on it anyway

Im curious does Akai offer customer support over the phone for free?

I was just pissed off that it wouldnt work for me to be quite frank im sure its a great program if youre someone who knows how to use it. Which I am not.

Anyway I just thought thered be more resources for customer support available from Avid not a big deal as I just got Reaper which worked for me first try and has been great and easy to use.

And MYCBEATS I agree that they obviously arent gonna pay much attention to a free version but if it wasnt such a pain to simply find out how to track beats onto they couldve had a new customer as one day as I progressed I most likely would have stuck with pro-tools having already learned about it. So I mean I might be a noob to DAWs but at the end of the day they should try to make their product as easy to manuver or have customer service which can help you do so to avoid losing customers.. My take on it anyway

Im curious does Akai offer customer support over the phone for free?

AVID couldn't care less about making their product easier for noobs. Its not a product designed for noobs.

A Pro Tools HD rig costs thousands of dollars, and if (a big if) you were to actually purchase one it would probably be in 10 years. You're saying that by helping you today they are investing to expect a return in 10 years. If you account for inflation and interest rate, the time, energy, effort, and resources they would spent on listening to your problem, their "investment" would barely break even.

Anyways its good that you decided to go with a pro-sumer daw. People that use Pro Tools with $50 headphones are like girls with Louis Vuitton bags and Payless shoes.

Okay thanks everyone.

Its clear that pro tools was just not the DAW for someone to dive into at first without studio knowledge.

Cheers

Learning a daw is not the same as learning to mix.

Learning to mix is like learning to drive, and the daw is the car, if you know how to drive it won't matter what car you get into, sure you might have some trouble with the stereo or the GPS of a certain brand of car, but you can still get from A to B.

I like your metaphors Myc big ups from Guelph noticed you were from TO, your beats bang.

Do you use pro tools to make your beats?

I always like to know what people use this is my first year of beat making so I try to take in as much as possible so if anyone here wants to share some wisdom id appreciate it. Just send to my inbox.

Thanks all.

P.S I use mpc 1000 and Reaper so if anyone has knowledge on those specific things thatd be even better :)

Last edited:
HD rigs are no longer a necessity by far. That's just good advertising on Avid/Digi's part. A current computer running PT is just as fast and efficient. HD rigs were a huge thing back when the outboard DSP made a difference in performance. Like..."I'm running a Pentium 4 1.2ghz with 128mb Ram and with an HD rig, I can put a compressor on every track or run an advanced reverb plug without crashing my PC!!! Such POWER!!!!"

HD rigs are cool for working with outboard gear where sounds are constantly leaving and re-entering the digital realm, but that still falls on the hardware, and can be done with a rigged computer only version just as easily with the right outboard gear. Main reason why the no longer push an "LE version" and have got rid of limits they purposely put into place.

If you own a copy of Pro Tools 11 and are running on a computer with recommended specs, it's gonna run just as smoothly and flawlessly as any other software. My only gripe with PT/Avid/Digi is up until updating my Mac(OSX Mavericks)my copy of PTLE8 and M-Box worked perfectly, now to upgrade they want $399, the price of a completely new DAW and all I use it for is compatibility when receiving files to mix from other PT users.

HD rigs are no longer a necessity by far. That's just good advertising on Avid/Digi's part. A current computer running PT is just as fast and efficient. HD rigs were a huge thing back when the outboard DSP made a difference in performance. Like..."I'm running a Pentium 4 1.2ghz with 128mb Ram and with an HD rig, I can put a compressor on every track or run an advanced reverb plug without crashing my PC!!! Such POWER!!!!"

HD rigs are cool for working with outboard gear where sounds are constantly leaving and re-entering the digital realm, but that still falls on the hardware, and can be done with a rigged computer only version just as easily with the right outboard gear. Main reason why the no longer push an "LE version" and have got rid of limits they purposely put into place.

If you own a copy of Pro Tools 11 and are running on a computer with recommended specs, it's gonna run just as smoothly and flawlessly as any other software. My only gripe with PT/Avid/Digi is up until updating my Mac(OSX Mavericks)my copy of PTLE8 and M-Box worked perfectly, now to upgrade they want $399, the price of a completely new DAW and all I use it for is compatibility when receiving files to mix from other PT users.

I agree. HD Systems are definitely not a priority. They have a lot of perks but you're not a nameless customer if you don't own it. If you do not have much studio knowledge, I suggest checking out other DAW's or just looking into it a bit further. It's a great DAW. Especially for mixing.

surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet but why were you trying to call AVID to ask them how to track beats anyway? Thats the reason they don't allow it. You could have figured that out on youtube faster than making this thread.

Dear upinsmoke, the arrogant responses of some users here is lame and cringe. I have used Pro Tools since 2004, and I know and understand you as a customer. No matter whether you are new or not, when I started out people weren't so darn rude and idiotic. I am glad you found Reaper, I wish I had learned about it earlier, I think Avid became Windows Vista and Microsoft of the 90s and early 2000s now. I am really displeased with Pro Tools and AVID, such a money grabbing company it has become, and there is near zero innovation. People literally has paid years of subscriptions now just to keep using it and avoid the hassle of switching.

A DAW doesn't make you a good producer, or a good mixing engineer. Studying from others and having a growth humble mindset, the mindset of a good student is what really matters. I guess people are willing to put off with a terrible company because they feel special by using a specific tool. A least Reaper's community is incredible, and yes, I studied Reaper enough to know it can do all Pro Tools does, unless you want to use expensive avid cards and gear, which is totally overkill and unnecessary these days. I wonder is those cards will make excellent music or an excellent mix. I would much preffer having excellent analog gear vs Avid hardware. My two cents.

Check out this video of Pro Tools vs Logic mixing guys.

There are plenty of attitudes about attitudes in this thread, but really nothing egregious was said here. Also, nothing super informative either. It's still here, for continuity's sake, but I'd like to point out that the OP has probably long since moved on. This zombie thread is from 2014 (NINE YEARS AGO).

GJ

You are entitled to your opinion, and you should know it is your opinion. I know this is an old post but still feel I needed to say my two cents. Some of us see things differently you know, that's kind of the point of sharing anything in internet.
Cheers

Yes. And some of us are mods pointing out the futility of responding to a nine year old zombie thread, with an attitude, while talking about other people's attitudes. That's the point of having mods on the Internet, you know. Hemming in possible bait-posting to stir up ish on forums.

Cheers

GJ

Back