Why is Autotune hated by So Many PPL??? Must Read..

i hear ya blongz. hey i still listen to old zapp records. different technology but similar concept. i'm more critical to the corrective part of it's usage than people using it as a modifier in the same vein as t-pain. that doesn't really bother me, but i never recorded an artist who uses it that way and likely never will. it's not my really my cup of tea, but like i said, i like troutman so i'm not gonna break pain's balls like i would paris hilton who uses 8 autotuned back up tracks while performing live because her voice is straight ass.

Last edited:
Overused by Pop music. People want real talent in the age of non talent.

I'm not mad at autotune. I look at it as singers with real talent don't have to work as hard. And their loyal fans will propel them. Autotune users (or their engineers) have to work 3x as hard to get it all right...and their fans will propel them. It all comes down to people choosing what they like. Its an art, some have raw talent, some use new tools.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

Just like with producers....Some work hard and record the actual instrument performances, and some sample a classic record. I could be mad they didn't do the orignal recording, but I accept they have a concept of music they want to express.

Last edited:
In a traditional band, artists use "real" instruments (guitar, drums, bass, etc.). The people who tune these instruments never do it perfectly down to three decimal spaces, and even if they did, the tuning for many of these instruments drifts slightly as the instruments are played. An artist has a small range of pitch he can work with before he sounds "off-key".

In a modern dance production using digital synths, the plugins are always right-on-pitch and never go out of tune. Even if only for a moment, singing a concert-A at 443Hz while all of the synths harmonize around exactly 440Hz sounds odd. You have less pitch-range to work with.

Autotune is very important for highly digital, highly synthetic, and highly quantized types of music. Without it, a vocal performer cannot meet the exacting mathematical standards that a digital synth (and some sampled libraries!) can impose.

Just as people have discovered that too much rhythm quantization can zap the life out of a song, they are beginning to discover the effects that too much pitch quantization can do the same.

In a traditional band, artists use "real" instruments (guitar, drums, bass, etc.). The people who tune these instruments never do it perfectly down to three decimal spaces, and even if they did, the tuning for many of these instruments drifts slightly as the instruments are played. An artist has a small range of pitch he can work with before he sounds "off-key".

In a modern dance production using digital synths, the plugins are always right-on-pitch and never go out of tune. Even if only for a moment, singing a concert-A at 443Hz while all of the synths harmonize around exactly 440Hz sounds odd. You have less pitch-range to work with.

Autotune is very important for highly digital, highly synthetic, and highly quantized types of music. Without it, a vocal performer cannot meet the exacting mathematical standards that a digital synth (and some sampled libraries!) can impose.

Just as people have discovered that too much rhythm quantization can zap the life out of a song, they are beginning to discover the effects that too much pitch quantization can do the same.

You sir, know what your talking about. Kudo's to you! :victory:

re

good point about the tuning. try to get a guitar or bass in perfect tuning across the whole neck...aint gonna really happen. also autotune is the gated reverb of today.

(Auto)Tuning Problem - Nothing New Under the Sun

The Greeks knew about this problem and it all comes down to maths. It isn't possible to arrange the 8 or 12 notes that make up western music, into equal sized steps - ie separated by a consistent number of Hz.
So compromises have to be made and the human ear is good at this. Orchestral players and choral singers learn to blend their sound so that it tunes with their colleagues and talk endlessly about "colour", "temperature" etc. And this is just one of the things that makes music the transcendental mystery based on hard, unyielding physics that it is.
Electronic "instruments" can't do any of this; they have to be set to play a specific frequency for a specific note. And they will play that frequency perfectly without variation whenever called on. They can't listen (yet - things develop all the time...) to what's going on around them.
But I think what people hate about Autotune is the way it has been used to produce a "beating" effect where the harmonics of a note are played about with so that some frequency elements of the note are allowed to wander producing that (to me) unattractive warbling or dweeble sound.
I think people on this forum probably know how to use Autotune so that it does its intended job without producing that unpleasant (again IMHO) warbling.
We need to listen (LOL) to them more.

Electronic "instruments" can't do any of this

I'll just need to pick up on this - there are plenty of electronic instruments that aren't perfectly in tune or don't stay in tune - vintage analog synths, for example. I know what you meant by it, but something like "modern digital" is closer to the truth than just "electronic".

Fair Point

Yes, this is right. Current solid state, digital equipment where notes are produced by dividing up frequencies from oscillators is what I had in mind. Valve gear and stuff like that where vibration, heat and temperature played a major role in performance would have had a lot more variation in its outputs.

If autotune is "cheating then we might as well throw arpeggiators and Trance gates in the mix as well...

Its all music...

Last edited by a moderator:
If autotune is "cheating then we might as well throw arpeggiators and Trance gates in the mix as well...

Its all music...

Well said. I'm not that great of a piano player, but once a beat is done you'd think Yanni did the pianos thanks to modern technology.

AUTOTUNE has ruined the image of being a true artist....hands down :(

I will respectfully disagree. Also, I will add that this statement is not true. We refer to any pitch correction software as AUTOTUNE, even though it is a brand (like we call tissue "Kleenex", etc.).
The fact of the matter is, whether it is T-Pain sounding, warbled, or has a slow attack and un-recognizable, pitch correction is more than likely used on any record that you hear on the radio, any genre of music any station.
This could be Autotune.. or Melodyne..or Logic's Pitch correction tool... It could be one note, one verse, or the entire song. The best vocalists can sound pitch perfect in person, yet not be flawless.

We have the technology available to us now that we can correct one syllable if we have to. It's not about what's cool or what's popular, pitch correction is used every day in every studio with every artist, and you probably don't even know it or recognize it in a song...because you are not supposed to!

Last edited:
Yes it is over used and being used in a different was than it was intended. But in the end i feel like do what you feel sounds good. as an artist you have the right toexpress yourself any way you feel . You cant please everyone, so please yourself.

Back