Why don't the Big Producers use FL, Reason, Logic ect?

What style of music do you produce?

If you do alot of live inc instruments, vox, percussion & multi channel recording/editing etc.. Than Abelton, FL and Reason is perhaps not your software.

Pro Tools & Logic is the way to go. Every studio has it and with that said, these days a good studio should have everything. However, I havn't come across anyone yet who wanted to go and pay for studio time to use FL or Reason.

I am a trance producer, so for me using PT or Logic is just doing everything 100x slower but when I do record a violin or vocal for a track, I tend to resort to Soundforge or WaveLab for recording and editing the ruff bits. Once the track is finished in FL i send it of to a mastering studio as a complete track, pay $150 and get 3 different masters back.

Christian

I do hip-hop, and the way I figured it was that even if PT is a little slower than say, Reason or FL, for doing what I do it keeps me from ever having to learn a second program. There are a couple of things that are done in a slightly cumbersome manner but I figure that's because I still haven't mastered the program.

This thread contains some of the best advice I've ever heard in music.

Bottom line: Don't ever let anyone judge what you use based on image. I took a hiatus and am approaching a return, and back in the day I let too much influence me that had nothing to do with mastering my own workflow.

Now, workflow-speaking, no matter what you use, it'll take time to learn, so I say learn the difference in DAWs and use what's best for you, DEPENDING on the situation. Each one has their pros and cons, with some sounding better for acoustic production, some handling live recording better, and some better for the editing and engineering process... and et cetera.

Never stop learning, and forget about ignorant opinions.

I do hip-hop, and the way I figured it was that even if PT is a little slower than say, Reason or FL, for doing what I do it keeps me from ever having to learn a second program. There are a couple of things that are done in a slightly cumbersome manner but I figure that's because I still haven't mastered the program.

You know what mate,

If you produce hip hop and you havent settled on a sequencer yet than my ownest advise is, start by learning logic or pro tolls. Great thing is, regardless which one you start getting used to, both will suit your production style better and both are very similar so regardless what studio you go in, you can be assured that these softwares are ready to go for you. Also if you do alot of live recording and have external devices you will appreciated either in the long run. Same applys to abelton, but if this is the start of you and you arnt familiar with DAWS than both will be a great future advantage to you once you know the ins and outs. (Sorry DBL sentence, I am german after all :) )

The others are built on the lego block concept which makes it easy for electronic artists but makes it harder for those who want to edit live instruments on the fly. You will also have a major advantage later on if you choose to try any other DAWS with LOGIC or PT backround

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats not true.. Alot of big producers use these programs and vsts now!!

Im Referring to the main post Why don't the Big Producers use FL, Reason, Logic ect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry mate. Miss understood :)

I don't get though, that these posts still continue after so many years. Which Software is best, who uses what etc.. Mac or PC.. Red or Blue, 2ply or 3 ply :angel: :berzerk:

haha.. I use reason, protools, Logic, A MASSIVE sound collection.. Live intruments, Live sampling and a ton of vsts!

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

And MAC ALL THE WAY OF COURSE!!

Was killin' it, everybody done jacked his style so he can't get placements. Check Rick Ross new mix tape........... 1 PLACEMENT. So sad........

Almost every modern producer uses some sort of DAW. There are a lot of famous big-wigs that do the most basic work nowadays because they've got a whole team of engineers for each and every thing, and they just really serve as a name and a think-tank. Watch some videos of producers working on a track and you're guaranteed to spot a DAW. Some producers like Just Blaze and others happen to have a lot of hardware at their disposal so they can minimize computer work.

Most producers are comfortable with what they started with

Most established producers started with MPCs, samples, tritons and motifs. They simply use what is comfortable to them. Most new producers start out with logic FL studio, reason and some others to name a few. This is because of the low cost to entry. They all are capable of making great music so I don't think it's a big deal.

in my opinion you have way more opportunities with daw´s , but that also may be a problem...because you can´t focus on some things...

I don't use software. I intend to later (for effects mostly), but right now I don't need it. My laptop (dell) isn't very good anyways. The screen went out and overall it's just old. I use the mpc2000xl, technics 1200, numark dxm06 dj mixer, sp404sx, mackie profx12 12 input, boss br900cd and I've got a piano and a few midi keyboards, plus my vinyl weighs a ton. If I was going to use software, I would use Logic & Protools. Ableton after that. Also I don't find it true many people use Reason. Most "underground" producers I know and or have met, practically hate Reason. They all started will Fruity Loops or an Mpc and moved up to Ableton with and mpd, Logic or Protools or Roland Mv8800. I know Living Legends (Grouch & Eligh use Protools). The dj I bought my mpc from was upgrading to the roland mv. Also every good and upcoming producer is either using an mpc or sp404 while playing live. I've only seen a small handful only use all digital from the laptop and just a controller.

Last edited:
You say they Moved Up from FL to Ableton.. I have both, but never used Ableton (Cant figure it out)
Is there any major differences that would put it ahead of FL?

You say they Moved Up from FL to Ableton.. I have both, but never used Ableton (Cant figure it out)
Is there any major differences that would put it ahead of FL?

It comes with built-in tutorials, a very comprehensive manual and there's tons and tons of videos about all aspects of it, so it shouldn't be but a matter of putting in the effort of figuring it out. The program is called Live, btw :)

Will I Am
Dr.Dre
Timbaland
RZA
Premo
Pete Rock
Kanye West

Everybody major..

Only dudes im into that use software based setups are the whole Odd Future qlique, and they get criticized for sounding low quality.

This isnt a hardware vs software thread, Im just curious as to why the people at the very top of the game lean towards hardware.

Timbo went to software early before most in hip hop. Kanye West I hear uses Logic now. Dr Dre uses soft synths at times and says he has for years. RZA probably does use some software outside of Pro Tools because he likes getting new shit and said it himself that he likes to try new things in an issue of remix in 2007. Premo is stuck in his ways he hasnt upgrade anything since the 90s. I would say that most major producers in 2012 are using soft synths and Logic actually.

Back