Why are Mac computers so popular among producers?

... and FWIW, you don't call Seagate. You hit their site, get an RMA number, send your drive in and they'll ship you a new one. If you have a credit card, they'll even ship a new one out to you BEFORE you send yours in.

You never have to leave your house.

he said "Call pentium"...
Besides... EVERYONE knows someone nearby that can fix a PC.

the same way everyone knows someone [tree shade mechanic (crackhead)] that can fix the head gasket on a 89 prelude. doesn't mean its waaaaaay better than getting the acura rsx.

bottom line, if i have a problem with any part of my apple, i call apple. be it hardware or software its all covered. don't even try to play me with the "dell and all pc's cover you to" because i used to own one.
im not a pc basher but lets be honest, them things (ESPECIALLY DELLS) will give you two to three years tops.

building your own pc puts you in a whole nother category but at the end of it all you still put in the comperable man hours to make it.

but go ahead, enjoy that old honda with the huge spoiler if you want.

^^^In all fairness Dell will come out to your home and fix your PC, it's part of their service plan if you buy directly from them.

I bought my Toshiba from a store, not sure about them. But I had a DVDR die on my 1st Dell(bought in 2003 still running at my sister in laws/gave it to her). They sent someone out to install a new one(funny thing is, if it happened now, I wouldn't call, I'd just go buy and install another, but I wasn't as computer savvy then.

As for my 2nd Dell. bought it for $1200 back in like 2004 for music. Still running for it's original purpose.

Last edited:
bottom line, if i have a problem with any part of my apple, i call apple. be it hardware or software its all covered. don't even try to play me with the "dell and all pc's cover you to" because i used to own one.
im not a pc basher but lets be honest, them things (ESPECIALLY DELLS) will give you two to three years tops.

building your own pc puts you in a whole nother category but at the end of it all you still put in the comperable man hours to make it.

but go ahead, enjoy that old honda with the huge spoiler if you want.

Now you sound plain stupid. My Dell Optiplex GX200 is, what, a DECADE old??? The Dell Dimension 8200 that serves as a backup DAW is, oh, 8 years old??? I have an IBM PC 300GL that was new in 1997 running Win2003 Server as my domain controller. Three of my kids run IBM PC 300PL's that were new in 1998 or 1999. Still runnin strong.

FOH with that mystical magical fairytale b.s. bruh. The mere fact that you said "call pentium" discredits everything you have to say.

I'm STILL laughin' at you for that sh_t.

I think it's really just the ease of setup. Mac advertises strongly that peripherals and other products "just work". No need for driver installation. A great deal of people really like that. And they don't see the bad thing in it. Which is a lack of reverse compatibility. They don't really mind buying all new stuff when a new version comes out, I guess.

Deranged,

btw those Dell or HP touch screen quad core 1 tb PCs you've spoken off fall into the same category as macs as far as know-how goes, they are good for people that don't want to deal with all the technical stuff, but they'll still need a bit of know-how for windows and getting their DAW run properly because of drive issues etc.

Other than that I have same specs of desktop PC for way under the price you get the Dell or HP touch screen PCs.

I got *more* than 1 TB hd space, I have a full hd screen, which those pcs don't have AFAIK (don't quote me on that, haven't checked) only thing I don't have is the touch screen, but I don't need that.

But it's the same simple rule, if people feel comfortable for giving out more cash to not having to worry about such things it's fine with me. I would even buy myself one of those HP touch screen PCs but they are expensive and I need more than 1 TB HDD space.

On the other side I can upgrade my desktop PC whenever and what ever I want. if it's the graphic card, or a 3rd or 4th additional 1 TB HDD, or more ram, it doesn't matter, I can replace everything if something is broken and get away with spending less money instead of letting it repair by someone else. I don't need to ship anything and wait for weeks to get it back. I can order that one part that's broker per over night express and replace it real quick. But to be able to do that I'd need to be able to pinpoint the problem in a PC system and then I can execute the solution, that's where the know-how comes in.

I wrote a badass response about how the "no viruses" thing is ENOUGH to call the Mac a superior machine , but that it got even better. I also explained how the Macs came with quad-cores standard since like 2006 and that windows had 2 tries to copy the leopard OS (by presumibly adding instant search features (spotlight) and other features that Macs have had for centuries , but they still havent copied their "no viruses" idea, and their "the OS doesn't break" idea). Like we stated earlier, MOST people will agree that Macs look better (even teh PC camp keeps mentioning "shiny" or things like "to LOOK legit" obviously implying that they admit and are aware that Macs do atleast look better than Pc's) also. The updated ones also have 8-cores, not 4, and 16 cores are right around the corner. Also, why is it that Macs are the standard in EVERY type of professional media ? Why do 90 percent of major music studios, television studios, movie studios etc use Macs ? Surely they have the money to build superior PC machines ? Surely all these tech guys that make professional living with computers would know something about computers ? The Macs from like 5 years ago had slots to add 32 GBs of ram , and the macs from 10 years ago had the feature of no viruses and the ability to search any file by typing in on the top corner instantly . I also mentioned how for a few hundred bucks you can give your mac hundreds of cores using a fermi GPU that will literally make your mac a supercomputer

I mean seriously...you can run just about any application you could ever want (including Pro Tools) on a PC for less money. I dont get it. :confused:

Well TBK, I will never use another PC as you have claimed they are cheaper to build yada yada. I did that twice and both failed. I bought a Duo Core Mac Intel, and haven't had one problem. Now I am even going to go 8 core, I may wait from what I hear after the 26th of this monthy Apple suppose to drop 12 core. So the 8 core will go down and I can get it for cheaper I don't need 12 cores. The parts are way better in the Mac than PC's. The Macs on the internet catch less viruses than a PC . It's easy to add things into the Mac, it's just a sturdy computer all in All. Major studios don't use PC's so why would I? I model my setup according to the major studio so one can be on point. I DON'T TRUST VISTA ANYWAY, AND XP IS MORE STABLE.

To top it off when you load programs like Omnisphere, or SonicSynth etc, THEY GO STRAIGHT TO THEIR PROSPECTIVE PLACES! You don't have to do all this placing it in the folder, get the driver nonsense. it's QUIET AS F**K! Some times I forget that it's on. The casing is not mere plastic bullcrap it's Aluminum, I banged my toes a couple of times lol but that's ok. The casin is top quality that is recyclable. Being I have DVI monitors everything is clear. The programs just run freakin better than a PC. I use a PC to do my letters and to get on the internet that's all the luv my PC is going to get.

Last edited:
Okay... let's be 100% honest guys.
Many many people use cracked software... and most cracked software is for Windows XP on a PC. That's why some people prefer PC.

Not supporting it... i'm just sayin'.

Last edited:
This thread is funny. Most problems people have with their gear is from the people themselves. Just make music and keep it moving.

#justsayin

^^^You stole my analogy and made it better!

Why didn't I think of Acura?

We joked about pcaudiolabs.com being the equivalent of Acura on page 7 right after you wrote your Mercedes analogy lol.

I love it when you start an analogy, and as you branch out with it, other things still neatly match up to the example you're trying to make hah. Like things just unexpectedly fit the allegorical puzzle.

Robot recharging... completed

Software and argumentation library... updated.

Regenerating successfully completed, ready to go in cyber war...

Okay... let's be 100% honest guys.
Many many people use cracked software... and most cracked software is for Windows XP on a PC. That's why some people prefer PC.

Not supporting it... i'm just sayin'.

Did you say crack versions ? lol lmao lol Yeah Mac aint playin that crack crap. All my stuff is bought. the thing with crack is you can't update from the original site when they do update. So you get no argument from me. You're right.

I am just looking at, if a place like Paramount that has millions of dollars and have their own studios don't use PC's why should I? They have enough money to go and tell someone to go and build a super computer PC, why they don't have PCs in their studios? I have a degree in computers and let me tell ya, PCs aint messing with Mac period! Dudes can talk all this yada yada all they want. I want someone to show me one major studio using a PC, Like Hit Factory, Quad Studios, Fast Trackz, any of these major studios, I ASK ONE! That shouldn't be so hard if PCs is the ish!

:cheers:

^^^Y'all buggin. All the cracked copies of Logic Pro and Reason I seen? I've even seen Pro Tools bootlegged on a Mac.

It's all about how you move. In all fairness, I haven't heard much of "Waves Bundle" on Mac, like I do on PC. But i'm always hearing friends who use Macs complaining that they can't bootleg it, lol.

Did you say crack versions ? lol lmao lol Yeah Mac aint playin that crack crap. All my stuff is bought. the thing with crack is you can't update from the original site when they do update. So you get no argument from me. You're right.

I am just looking at, if a place like Paramount that has millions of dollars and have their own studios don't use PC's why should I? They have enough money to go and tell someone to go and build a super computer PC, why they don't have PCs in their studios? I have a degree in computers and let me tell ya, PCs aint messing with Mac period! Dudes can talk all this yada yada all they want. I want someone to show me one major studio using a PC, Like Hit Factory, Quad Studios, Fast Trackz, any of these major studios, I ASK ONE! That shouldn't be so hard if PCs is the ish!

:cheers:

Go visit some studios here in Europe. Many of them use PC's + there are many film composers who have like 5-10 custom built PC linked up to score movies.

Last edited:
I use a PC for my graphics, and an Apple for my Audio. My take is this, I know my way around PCs, and have been using computers since they have been in home use, and just didn't like the hassle of getting my setup put together on the PC. Also I have tablets, scanners, 3d controllers etc, it was just a mess having SO MUCH connected. When I bought a laptop, I gave the MacBook Pro a shot, both my brothers had them, and I used Macs from the start, and move to PCs right at the release of the Pentium I. Thought I would see what's up.

Pretty straight forward. Spend a little bit less time fiddling with drivers and settings etc and more time doing what I want. But I don't like how OSX kind of hides issues. OSX is good at it, so when it crashes it's always catastrophic. And I've seen nothing telling me what happened. Just says you need to turn the machine off and back on. I look at the error messages after reboot, but meh. And it's nice fiddling less, but I feel like I really have to dig to get to options.. Overall it's a great machine, it's super stable, it crashes now and again, but that's expected with it on almost 24/7.

I like both, and I don't find them vastly different. Less tinkering with the laptop, but I feel less options. My desktop PC is great, and I hope with windows 7 that I can get it running with my audio setup. Would be nice to have a quad core with tons of RAM in case my laptop runs out of breath.

So yeah, it's all down to preference. Nothing else. I like having both. In a perfect world I would have a fast i7 desktop and a macPro at a desk with a KVM switch, or maybe a quad monitor setup with dual screens for each. A two by two verticle system. Then a fully loaded MacBook Pro running both OS.

Last edited:
Why are PC's so popular? Because they are compatible with a lot of software. Also people are just used to them.
Why are Macs so popular? Because they AREN'T compatible with a lot of software (e.g. viruses)
I say it really doesn't matter what you use.

Back