Who's music inspires you the most and why

man everything, more on a song by song basis than by artist. joints like bill withers "dont you want to stay", stevies "golden lady", heatwave "lay it on me", brothers johnson "land of ladies" to joints like rihanna and future "l-o-v-eeee" or miguel "adorn"

q-tip, sade, dr dre, teddy riley...probably would be artist that inspire me across the board

Last edited:
Inspires me the most, these days? Besides the old standbys? Really getting back into Syd Barrett. Madcap Laughs album...mostly his guitar and vocals but something so special in his simple lyrics and sound.

Owsey, Stumbleine, Shlohmo, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Sorrow, Burial

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Owsey: Ambient meets IDM
Stumbleine: Similar to Owsey(IMO) but a little more ambiance with his new stuff
Shlohmo: This guy has a lot of styles. One for many moods
Carbon Based Lifeforms: Beautiful space music
Sorrow: Chilled garage music
Burial: It's like a pretty monster. It's very dark but beautiful at the same time

Mine shifts all the time. But top inspiration ever was Lex Luger...I'm playing, lol. Havok all day.

Been inspired by everyone from Max Martin to Shakespear(sp, the proudcer who worked with Kandi) to Just Blaze to Charles Aznovaur to Stevie Wonder, to James Brown to Nirvanna, System of a Down, Mendolhson(sp), Mozart, Hans Zimmer, Dungeon Family/Rico Wade, Mike Dean(Rap A Lot days), I'll be here forever.

well for me i love dramatic orchestral song so i would have to say two steps from hell there the guys who did the music for mass effect

The Algorithm - THE ALGORITHM - Bouncing Dot (Official HD Audio - Basick Records) - YouTube

If you are familiar with Djent/Tech metal bands then you should appreciate this. It's the sort of music I always dreamed of making.

YES. Love the algorithm. Seen em live about 4 or 5 times, they always kill it. I know Mike personally, have even got the odd drum lesson from him. Truly amazing drummer.

I wouldn't be making beats if it wasn't for hearing this song a couple of months ago.

It just reminded me how much I loved the beat scene stuff a couple years ago and really inspired me to start making the stuff I am trying to make at the moment.

Mine changes often. Right now it's Coleco, he's one of the first 160 bpm artists I found. Really glad I found him. Previously, Nicolas Jaar.

Flying lotus, and majority of the people of brainfeeder label. which i use as a benchmark for myself to achieve one day soundwise.

Any album made by people with minimal gear. Burial's first album, DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, Daft Punk's first two albums and stuff like that. It's taught me that the music comes from within you and everything else are just tools to help you reach a certain goal.

So for me it's the underdog, just like everyone else. They have more to prove and less to work with. And depending on the person they might just make history.

when i got to sites like this and soundcloud and i click on beatmakers i never heard and they are super dope, that inspires me to be better.

I like Crystal Castles a lot.
Very distinct sounds.
There's also a guy on youtube I like a lot, his name is Dj Vespers.
His production is very clean and from his tutorial videos he sounds like he knows his stuff.

Many different musicians for different reasons, I can't really pin it down to anyone in particular but for example some of my biggest inspirations are:

Justice: My introduction to dirty, bassy electro, I just love how "full" it sounds (thank you GTA IV for arranging that introduction)
Savant: Most of his songs have awesome solo-like melodies and that aspect is something I've been fond of in electronic music ever since hearing him
Chiptune musicians: I don't think I would have kept on making music if it weren't for chiptunes. They were easier to put together which in-turn allowed me to visualise and transfer melodies without as much expertise with my DAW. I'm still very fond of the chip sound though.

I don't really intend to copy their style though, it just seems to rub off on me unconsciously as I compose. Sorry if this is long winded, I haven't gotten too many opportunities to discuss this kind of thing before.

Back