Who Is Your Top 5 Best Drum Pattern Makers In The Game?

Timbaland
Neptunes
Swizz Beatz
Just Blaze

Timbaland revoultionized drum patterns with "one in a million." and who will ever forget the crazy mind it took from the Neptunes to make "grinding"? Swizz is hot too and so is Just Blaze. I'd have to agree with an earlier post about Dre though: his beats is hot as **** but his patterns dont stand out. Dre has a specific pattern style that you can always identify, but he the **** cuz despite that his beats still is the mother****in bomb ****. And I TOTALLY have to disagree with anyone who puttin Kanye West. I still like him as a producer but he lost a lot in my eyes when I found out: 1) he don't play most the instruments in his songs besides the piano and 2) he overuse one particular drum (snare) sample waaaaay too much. The one thats in "Through the wire" and "New workout plan" and "Never let me down" and "spaceship" and one of the beats he did for Brandy on her Aphrodisiac CD (but not "Talk about our love" though) and "H to the Izzo" if I'm not mistaken. If you've heard those songs you know what I'm talking about. If not check em out and you'll get the picture. And if they not the same sample then they too close for comfort for me to differentiate em or even care to want to. Plus he has a tendency to use similar-soundin hi-hats (althought thats me being nit-picky). Feel free to disagree but thats my take on this.

Timbaland
RJD2
Neptunes(on a good day)
DJ Shadow
Outkast

Special shoutout to Eminem for having the most boring & predictable drum patterns ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
em still hot tho. i like the beats his make, plus nobody can deny his skill as an MC. dre's drum patterns are predictable too but u dont see nobody doubtin dre's skills as a producer. and really, dont em have to have some kind of merit to be given full reign to produce the latest tupac CD? Pac is a legend. em is a legend. and for somebody to allow em to make the beats for pac's timeless music says a lot. holla if u disgree.

gyros said:
Special shoutout to Eminem for having the most boring & predictable drum patterns ever. [/B]

I am not a big fan of Eminem but his patterns are not boring nor predictable....

Last edited:
"I am not a big fan of Eminem but his patterns are not boring nor predictable...."

nicely sed homey. em deserve respect fo what he do.

pardon if i dont kno the proper way to quote but i havent been usin message boards fo too long.

#1 Dr. Dre
#2 Red Spyda
#3 Hi-Tek
#4 Eminem
#5 tie between Beats by the pound and Timbaland

Joe Buddah
Taz
Lewis Parker
Skitz
ED 209

All safe as f u k UK Producers

1.Dr.Dre
2.Timbaland
3.Chucky Tompson
4.The neptunes
5.Just Blaze
Just Blaze isn't really good at drum programming but I like the way his drums build up in the song and match the sample great.

why are people puttin dre b4 Timabaland? Please explain this **** to me. i got nothin against dre but anybody can clearly see he dont match timabland in creativity when it comes to drums. if u listen to dre's beats you'll notice a pattern in the way he programs his drums. which i dont have a problem wit anyway cuz all his beats still sound hot. but really, timabaland got him ez on makin infectious drum beats. One in a million? Are you that somebody?? Should i keep goin or do u get the point. dre hasnt come close to dat. holla back wit comments

i disagree witchu, but i agree witchu. dre's drums is always bangin, i dont doubt dat. but i dont see why timbs aint tho. they creative and he got some of the hottest sounds on the market. cat real original. and his drums do hit hard when he want em to. 2 of my favorite recent beats by him is "hey now" and "the bounce" by jayz. the bounce do be bouncin. check that **** out cuz its hot.

timba got more complex drum patterns.
dres drums rock, but not as much as quiks.

In my opinion, I think you gotta look at this thread in two ways... 1.) most creative patterns, and then 2.) best "sounding" patterns (meaning the actual sounds used as well as how the beat "gels" with the rest of the song.

In my opinion, Timbo and the Neptunes have the most creative drum patterns. However, sometimes their patterns and beats can get overly complicated and just flat out sound "too busy" on a track.

On the other hand, Dre's programming probably sounds better than most of the cats out there simply because not only is he using some of the hottest drum sounds around, but he understands the art of making his beats "groove". I think Dre just understands that he doesn't have to get "ridiculous" on the drums to make his tracks hit. Its kinda like the saying... "less is more". I can guarantee you that's probably Dre's mentality.

Anyhow back to the original topic. In terms of having the best drum patterns, I'd still have to go with (in no particular order) Timberline, K-Gee of Naughty By Nature (Hey lets not forget the dude who brought you Hip Hop Horray or any of those beats from the early NBN albums). And of course, I also admire the Neptune's creativity on the drums sometimes.

But I think Dre has the tightest drum sounds in the game hands down. While he is simple, and often times repetitive with his drum programming, he gives you just enough to keep your heads bobbing throughout the track.

As far as creativity the neptunes always have to be mentioned. Both the drums on the drop it like its hot remix and the regular version are very creative. Even though the whole beat was just ok.

Last edited:
Poject Prophet said:

Yeah son, that **** was nice, but I don't think it was his best drum pattern...That "Like A Pimp" song was deep!

And whoever makes beats for 3-6 Mafia is ill too! And Baby-D...

Big Oomp produces Baby D's Beats

and DJ Paul & Juicy J produces their own beats.

Ima have to add Organized Noise...simply because their drums are so Unpredictable....A BOOM BOOM their and here and then next thing you know all kinds of wierd sounds in stuff pop out of nowhere ...I LOVE THAT

damn, where have ya'll been since '97? mannie fresh has the best drum work in the game right now. even tho you might not like the lyrical content ya'll check the beats on "mind of mannie."

Back