Whats wrong with sampling new shit?

I know I've asked this before but I keep running into this question... Personally, I don't sample anything other than vinyl. I'm not old school, I'm only 21, been producing for 4 years.. thats just me. I don't even know why I limit myself to older shit.. it's just integrity I guess. My friends though.. Complete opposites. They hear something new and they sample it.. they go and make it indistinguishable, and original. I'm starting to think the niche being a hip hop producer and all of the essential knowledge of jazz and soul samples that goes along with it is limiting.

This is my friend EmAy who I feel is dope as ****

Now I am sure he sampled some post 2005 shit, thats just him. But you could achieve the same sound from some 1975 shit, so if the end product is dope why does it matter?
I say that but still cant bring myself to sampling a CD or MP3.

It doesnt matter - if it sounds good do it. I think the one thing about most producers, they take too much advice from others.

**** what people tell you, if ssampling something is respected or not, just DO IT if it sounds good and get your music out there.

I sample new shit all the time.. Whatever sounds good to me ends up in something.. The last song i produced had a sample from 2011, and it was FIRE haha..

there's nothing wrong with sampling modern sh*t. i personally don't sample modern music that much because it doesn't have the sound and feel i like, but i still sample anything, modern or not. it's all preference.

Last edited:
I just don't get why people sample modern ish. Why not just remake it or something similar? Its hard to recreate those sounds from the 50s 60s 70s and 80s because of the equipment they used and how different it sounded than the stuff used today. Not to mention the way they made music then vs now is totally different as well. I also find it a bit boring to sample new stuff. I like that wow where the hell did he find that feeling. I seldomly get it anymore and its even worse when its a song thats still on the radio. Do people do it sure? Would I do it? No

I just don't get why people sample modern ish. Why not just remake it or something similar? Its hard to recreate those sounds from the 50s 60s 70s and 80s because of the equipment they used and how different it sounded than the stuff used today. Not to mention the way they made music then vs now is totally different as well. I also find it a bit boring to sample new stuff. I like that wow where the hell did he find that feeling. I seldomly get it anymore and its even worse when its a song thats still on the radio. Do people do it sure? Would I do it? No

You listen to the radio? Lol. Only time I listen to the radio is to hear Clark Howard give me financial advise. I also dont sample anything newer.

I listen to the radio yes just not hip hop on the radio. I like pop music, rock and modern country. My favorite artist right now is Katy Perry.

I mean if you execute it right then go right ahead. It can come down to the copywrite holders hating because you made their shit sound better when they are still relevant. I dont sample modern stuff neither...for me all the modern stuff I can compose with some time put in. To some people...more of adults like when they hear their shit a couple of generations ago modernized others hate it because they like the essence of the original and cant accept anything new. Im 24 I'm not to young not to old I think at least. My mom dukes loves when I sample songs she liked in the past. Its always like a omg thing for her.

Also newer stuff well hiphop & r&b are way louder than and it can be a pain in the ass dodging, covering, and filtering sometimes. When I sample something I never want a listener to say well all he did was add drums or speed that up...might as well be better off making it unrecognizable cuz it will most likely fall into a remix category. Last but not least is newer music is missing that soul...like singing isn't what it used to be rapping isnt either before ppl expressed what they felt and put into a song and would damn there yell ten seconds...now ppl extend their vocals and call it singing with less effort. Like I said im not old per say, but id perfer music a few generations back sample wise. I still keep up with current stuff as well.

Kinda on/off topic.

Does anyone else think it's weird when people sample hip-hop?
For melodies, hits, or drums and stuff... seems like cheating to me.

I mean I guess the sounds are there for an open palette, but it doesn't seem right.

i sample music before 1990 to make my beat. (i use automated filters on that)
and than i add like vocals/melodies from new songs on top of my beat for the hook. (just 3 band EQ like on a DJ mixer)

Kinda on/off topic.

I mean I guess the sounds are there for an open palette, but it doesn't seem right.

Yes, I never understand why people do this..
Taking biting to a whole new level...SMH

Kinda on/off topic.

I used to feel like that was total incest in most cases. Now that I think about it though it really depends on how its done. Like if I were to loop say a drum beat say like Sucker Mcs by Run DMC which is a well known thing and using it as homage. That and the fact that Pee-Wee's Dance has been sampled a ton of times and always sounds dope. If I Ruled The World sampled Whodini and its one of my favorite Nas songs. So its hard to say. Lets not forget Killing Me Softly sampling Bonita Applebum. That being said its hard for me to really knock it anymore though I still find it often to be boring as hell.

Kinda on/off topic.

People do this?

People do this?
all too often here are a few. I know there are much more though. Each song on top is the song sampled. the song on the bottom of it is the song created from it example jay z and beyonce bonnie and clyde sampled 2pacs me and my girlfriend

People sample because something from the past because it's not easily reproducible.

I sample because I like the sounds from those old songs or I want to bring an old song back to the forefront. I find that people who sample do it for a few reasons. A they want to bring real hip hop back b they hate keyboard sounds or c they want to sample something everyone knows and update it. most of that music can be easily reproduced the sounds not so much.

Back