What MPC is the best for beginners?

Azza

I have been producing for only a little while now, but i feel i have passed the whole 'FL + reason' stage. i already have a mpd24 but it bores me and doesnt have that kick that my friends mpc has, so im wondering what one is best for beginners?

I Had my eyes fixed on the 500, but with less pads tiny screen and apparntly the pads have to be pushed write down to work them.

So i decided between 1000 + 2500, if i got 2500 i wouldnt need get another mpc again im gussing, but as i need move around a bit the 1000 seems like the best choice, whats your oppinon.

i've never used any of those 2 mpc's..

but i started with the XL and then got the 4k.. and if i would look at it as if i was a beginner, both would be easy to get started with.. difference is that the 4k has lots more features to dive in to..

and if those 2 mpc's both are as easy to get started with.. i'd go for the one with the most features.. i remember people speaking of crappy pads though, but i cant remember if it was the 1k or the 2500..

There is word of a MPC 3500. I use a MPC 1000 and don't see any reason to upgrade to anything more expensive. You can get a 1000 cheap on ebay and put the new jjos on it along with a hard drive and you should be pretty well of. The new jjos opens alot of features like what the 2500 has and it's only $30.

Check it out here --> http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/%7Empc1000/

If a bug is found he usually fixes it a.s.a.p.
And as for the crappy pads, it would be the 1000. They give me no problems, but I don't beat the heck out of them.

Last edited:
trade FL + Reason + MPD24 for an MPC?
now let's talk about a serious downgrade. lol

unless you want to ADD the MPC to your existing equipment, of course.

The Mpc will suit you just fine, don't listen to Caraiba. If you feel the mpc fits your workflow better, then go ahead.

There's nothing wrong in wanting to expand ones equipment, but trading the functionality you already have with a lot less featured unit isn't much of an "upgrade" IMHO.

addition: and to constantly upgrade your setup looks to me like an interesting goal to achieve, isn't it?

Last edited:
Azza said:
doesnt have that kick that my friends mpc has

Just going to an MPC isn't going to acheive this. Are you guys using the same drums? But I think any of the MPCs "can" be good for a beginner. I started on a 2K Classic, and after 6 months moved up to a 4K, not because I out grew the 2K talent wise, but because of the things I wanted to do I couldn't do on it and after being shown what I can do on a 4K as opposed to the 2K, just made sense to me. Invest in some better sounds for your current setup and work on the production part of making music, instead of beatmaking and I'm sure you wont get bored. But if you're "dying" to get that same sound as your friend, get which ever one he has. Cause they all sound a bit different.

Caraíba said:

Im not trading anything, im justing ading the MPC, but i dont think i be using reason as much as i heard you cant record on it.

As for the 'more kick' thing, i was reffering to the pads on the mpd suck compared to mpc ones.

has nybody in here ever heard any song of Marylin Manson?
"The idiotic people" or was it "the beatiful people"?
sorry. Hiphop has come this way

Caraíba said:

i agree to an extent. You don't really move on beyond certain gear what he really means is hes not comfortable I think. The idea of a studio is to upgrade and expand what one has to better his music. Hes abandoning everything he has for something new and saying its lesser gear. Not completely true. Mpcs are great at what they do. I hope for find the right one for you. If I were to buy a mpc today it would probabaly be a 2500 so that way it could work with everything else I already have.

Eswerve said:
Just going to an MPC isn't going to acheive this. Are you guys using the same drums? But I think any of the MPCs "can" be good for a beginner. I started on a 2K Classic, and after 6 months moved up to a 4K, not because I out grew the 2K talent wise, but because of the things I wanted to do I couldn't do on it and after being shown what I can do on a 4K as opposed to the 2K, just made sense to me. Invest in some better sounds for your current setup and work on the production part of making music, instead of beatmaking and I'm sure you wont get bored. But if you're "dying" to get that same sound as your friend, get which ever one he has. Cause they all sound a bit different.
you hit the nail right on the head. I dont think the knock he gets is coming from the mpc at all. People who don't use mpcs get that same sound from other gear. Both hardware and software what he really needs to learn is how to produce sounds and not let the equipment dictate his sound. Finding better sounds is also a good idea.

Last edited:
Caraíba said:
still does not cover the needs the guy has.

What doesn't cover his needs? He's bored with his FL+Reason+MPD, if he feels an MPC is going to help him not be bored, then F it, go get it. But if he only want's it cause his friend is getting "better" sounds out of his MPC, he's, as you said, downgrading for the wrong reason. Even just adding the MPC to his current setup is not going to get his joints to pop off like his friends, PERIOD. If his main concern is workflow and his current setup is handcuffin' his creativity, then by all means switch it up and get into something that's going to "free" you. MPC's come a dime a dozen, but it doesn't mean he's gonna get fire out of it. Any of the MPC's will work for a beginner. And if he's just a beginner and got bored of Reason, he's definitely going to get bored with the MPC. Cause you should know that Reason is INTENSE and to get bored with that piece of equipment, you're not a beginner! If it's taking him a day to knock out a beat in Reason and see's his friend knocking out 2 or 3 in that time on an MPC, a BEGINNER is only going to want to make the move.

is he wanting to downgrade because he feels limited with the stuff he has?

edit: this is stupid. I'm not gonna answer to this anymore. lol

Last edited:
Caraíba said:
If you don't know and do nor care, you'll probably never know.
just be proud of your ignorance.

As they say Igonorance is bliss, so I'll assume you are okay with yours too. Speaking in "ninja" talk doesn't help anyone. You told X in another thread that the forum is here to help people, but in this thread you haven't helped either. Other than to say dude is downgrading by moving to an MPC or adding one. I'm sure he would like to know your logic behind this. I'm not asking for curiosity, but if you're going to make a blanket statement with no proof to arguement, it makes your statement null. Some people think Reason is a step down from an MP. It doesn't matter which "tool" you use if you don't have the proper skill set in place to make the most out of it.

Eswerve said:
As they say Igonorance is bliss, so I'll assume you are okay with yours too. Speaking in "ninja" talk doesn't help anyone. You told X in another thread that the forum is here to help people, but in this thread you haven't helped either. Other than to say dude is downgrading by moving to an MPC or adding one. I'm sure he would like to know your logic behind this. I'm not asking for curiosity, but if you're going to make a blanket statement with no proof to arguement, it makes your statement null. Some people think Reason is a step down from an MP. It doesn't matter which "tool" you use if you don't have the proper skill set in place to make the most out of it.
hes just here to start stuff if u havent noticed. hes been goin from thread to thread preaching his opinions and talkin down everyone elses he did this a couple months back as well

I spread mine and only mine. I dont put down other peoples views but I will ask about them and converse about them. U r simply being a negative individual. Its sad really. Someone get this man a blunt and a 5th

Back