What is a good/bad eq plugin?

wucao

Hi

There are a huge amount of eq plugins out there. How do you personally find out which eq plugin is good or bad? How do you compare an eq plugin with another?

Using Q clone or your ears..but dont worry about it. Just pick one they will all work for you. Especially any by a reputable company. Demo a few.

Last edited:
Hi

There are a huge amount of eq plugins out there. How do you personally find out which eq plugin is good or bad? How do you compare an eq plugin with another?

Welp, you can see what I use,
but what Yumid said is true:
There's not much difference between different digital EQs.
Just avoid "linear phase" and "vintage modeled" EQs until you have at least some clue what you're doing.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Here's my two cents on the topic...

FabFilter Pro Q is amazing (I haven't used pro-q 2 yet but it was just released and probably kicks ass). I use it for anything that doesn't need color, just some subtractive or shelving stuff. I use the waves modeled eqs (ssl, api, etc...) for coloration. But honestly, if I'm in need of an eq with low CPU usage to do minimal changes, I'll just use stock eqs from my DAW. DAWs have good bundled eq's nowadays, so save your money! It's most important you know how/why to use it rather than which one to use. Don't buy anything until you can get great results from your DAW eq. That's my advice - and trust me it is possible!

I've personally IMO never heard a good or bad EQ plugin. Different ones shape sound differently, and have different functionality...but all I ever use is the stock 1-7 Band EQs in Pro Tools(because they have every function I need), and the SSL channel strip in Reason(that could shape a little better, but does good enough).

I think if you're adding an EQ to your set of tools, it should sonically blow your mind to validate the purchase. I've heard nothing that's done that for me. IMO the 1-7 band EQs in Pro Tools when matched with other included stock effects(dyn/gate, comp/limiter) are unmatched by anything on the market. Could just be I've used them so long I know how to get the best out of them.

ok as you guys said, there is not really a difference.
But why are people then buying hardware EQs which costs thousends of dollars and say, they're much better than digital EQs? I mean, if you can say something is better, then there should be also a way to compare these EQs.

An example is this guy RavenKis:
https://www.facebook.com/RavenKis/p...0.1414138253./721152901294993/?type=1&theater

He bought this new hardware eq which is very expensive and replied in the first comment below that there is definitly a big difference. So if you can say that, how can we compare these EQs?

^^^Again, EQs shape sound differently. I won't say any 1 is "better" necessarily, just different. Tons of tools in this craft can definitively be "better" beyond opinion. Mics, AD/DA converters, Pres, ect. Even when considering these things, other factors even the playing field, example, a $4,000 mic in an untreated room used by some idiot who thought he could buy quality with money vs. a $100 USB mic in a treated environment with an engineer who knows what he's doing.

With EQs it's different. The things that make one "better" are all going to be opinionated for the most part especially in the digital realm. They're easily emulated by software, and the only things I can think of that would make one "bad" fall in the hardware realm. Example being too noisy. I will say they're worth the money to a guy who wants to be more "hands on".

Even with compressors, I don't feel one can be "better", but there are day/night differences that make choosing hardware over software or even one software plug over another make sense. Channel strips with EQs, sure...but just EQ? Can't get worked up over that in 2014. If you got options with all the functionality you need, nothing more is needed. Some may just need 2 knobs("hi" & "lo") while others need 30 bands and Filters that can be adjusted, but as long as the EQ can do everything you want it to...I can't see "sound" being much of a factor unless something on it was programmed faulty. And even if it was...easy fix...go to any old other EQ you got mixed in your programs, lol.

While I adore FabFilter's Pro-Q, I haven't bought it yet. The reason being that I've been using U-he's excellent Uhbik plugin suite, which includes Uhbik-Q - a simple, classic, and completely non-visual EQ (in the sense that there's no frequency curve for you to look at). Uhbik-Q made me understand what some more experienced people meant when they were talking about "musical EQs" (which I basically though was just bullshit) - it only has those few knobs, but they're set to affect the "right" spots of the spectrum, with the right kind of Q to match. There's no need to surgically adjust a league of EQ curve points, eyes on a freq analyzer; you just listen and turn a few knobs and then it's as it should be.

And that's how a lot of the pro gear works, imo. It's not that the results aren't attainable with lower-end stuff, it just takes a shitload of work to get there, whereas that magical two or five-thousand box just makes the right things shine on the first try. They make life easier & help concentrate on the important stuff - like the music itself.

All that said, I'll probably still buy Pro-Q, because of course sometimes you do need those surgical tools as well.

Last edited:
Back