What exactly is Reason and what does it do that FL Studio doesn't?

Teen Fury

I got a lot of dudes trying to switch me over to reason and I keep hearing about how great it is but I don't know exactly what it does and what makes it so great. One thing I heard was you couldn't host vst's or your own drums in it. Is this true?

www.Propellerheads.se

I'd suggest you stick with what you're good at until you're reasdy to transition. IMO Reason is very limited to FL, it indeed does not host vst, dx, rtas, au, ect. It can't edit audio or record in any form. But it does have it's own workflow that I find remarkable. That's the reason I limit myself in so many other categories to use it.

Best way I can describe it...FL Studio is like an MPC hooked up to a mixer. You can add as many extra vstis(keyboards)as you want, and can even ReWire Reason to run inside FL. Reason is like just having one great workstation keyboard and nothing else(although you can buy more sounds for it, that's like buying expansion chips for a workstation keyboard). So it's all preference to what you feel you need.

www.Propellerheads.se

I'd suggest you stick with what you're good at until you're reasdy to transition. IMO Reason is very limited to FL, it indeed does not host vst, dx, rtas, au, ect. It can't edit audio or record in any form. But it does have it's own workflow that I find remarkable. That's the reason I limit myself in so many other categories to use it.

Best way I can describe it...FL Studio is like an MPC hooked up to a mixer. You can add as many extra vstis(keyboards)as you want, and can even ReWire Reason to run inside FL. Reason is like just having one great workstation keyboard and nothing else(although you can buy more sounds for it, that's like buying expansion chips for a workstation keyboard). So it's all preference to what you feel you need.

Thanx for that info but I know that DJ Toomp uses reason and he used it to make the intro track on jeezy's album the recession, so if I'm right all he used were the sounds that came with reason? I don't understand how a lot of big name cats use reason if they can only use those sounds.

Because, it's got everything you'll ever need. synths, realistic guitars(at least realistic enough for most current genres of music), strings, pianos, drums, Mixing/Mastering FX, all in one program.

Scott Storch used nothing but a Motif for a gang of his beats. Darkchild has made multiplatinum grammy winning songs on just a Triton. In all fairness, Reason is the equivalent to a workstation keyboard and packed with just as many sounds.

Oh, I never knew it was all like that and the sounds were of that quality. I guess that's why everyone is trying to get me to switch. I tried the demo before but it was damn confusing lol

just use what you're comfortable with and tell everyone else to get a life.

Reason's NNXT/NN19 samples can be loaded in FL Studio's Directwave, so a big part of the sounds equation is rendered moot.

^^^Not to menton you can just ReWire Reason into FL...or skip reason and go with a high quality vsti that has waaaaayyyyyy better sounds than Reason or workstation keyboards.

Again, it all comes down to preference. If you like FL, Fl is the best program for you.

^^^Not to menton you can just ReWire Reason into FL...or skip reason and go with a high quality vsti that has waaaaayyyyyy better sounds than Reason or workstation keyboards.

Again, it all comes down to preference. If you like FL, Fl is the best program for you.
Now when you say rewire reason into fl does that mean I can use reason's sounds in fl? How do I do that? Also I've been looking for a high quality vst but don't really know what's quality and what's not.

hmm...i didn't know about using reason's sounds with direct wave in FL. looks like i have some homework to do! HAHA!

Doesn't Direct Wave read Gigastudio files? If so, too hell with Reason, AKAI, kontakt, and all that.

taken from image line's site:

Sample format support
DirectWave currently supports the following formats:

Samples
WAV (all types)
ACM decoder support (ogg).
Programs
To open the importer right-click on the Program tab in the Library window.

AKAI AKP (S5/6K,Z4,Z8)
Battery (Version 1, 2 & 3 banks)
DWP (DirectWave Program, native format)
EXS24
Giga
Kontakt / Kontakt 2
Kurzweil (off DOS disk)
MPC (off DOS disk, not 1000/2500/500 series)
Reason NN-XT (any association with a Refill can't be loaded)
Recycle
SoundFont2
SFZ

Now when you say rewire reason into fl does that mean I can use reason's sounds in fl? How do I do that? Also I've been looking for a high quality vst but don't really know what's quality and what's not.

Soundfonts are a good alternative to some of the VSTs out there. Check digital sound factory and sonivox, they have a good selection.

You aren't missing much to be honest. Reason comes with great sounds but you can get great sounds for FL too. Honestly FL does have a lot more options for you but I personally prefer Reason. FL simply wasn't for me.

IMO the biggest plus of reason is that you can wire up the components any way you like. You can make some pretty weird stuff with it if you want, making truly unique sounds.
The other thing is because it's a closed system its very stable.

Best use it rewired into FL like a vst

^^^FL has "Layer" that works like a combinator, and the mixer for chaining FX. Honestly can't think of anything you can do in Reason that you can't do in FL. As Xabition said, Reason just has a feel some prefer. I've tried to go back to FL, it's got way more functions and can do alot of things with less hassle. Also not "unstable" if you've got your computer tweaked for performance.

Reason just has the better feel to me.

there is a whole bunch of free sounds u can get with reason
you arent limited to the "stock" sounds

i got like 20 gb of sounds

idk whats different from fl though, since i never really used it
it never worked the way i wanted it to, reason ust has a better workflow for me

Back