What equipment is needed for singing live?

kels

Equipment owned:
keyboard
usb microphone

Goal:
Be able to plug my keyboard, computer, and microphone into _________. I'd like to be able to play songs from my computer, and sing into my mic or play on my keyboard. Kind of like karaoke I guess. But I don't know what equipment I would need to accomplish this? An audio interface? But can I plug an audio interface into an amp without that ish exploding? Thanks in advance for the replies.

PA system.

You can get affordable all-in-one packages that will include the head - 4 or 8 or more input jacks for microphones and 1/4" lines. This will often have at least a basic EQ and reverb effects. And the package will include the speakers. You may need to buy your own speaker stands, and maybe some cables too.

If you have a line out from your computer, you can get adapters and splitters and such to transition to 1/4" cable, which plugs easily into the PA. I haven't been in the market for one in a while, but I bet they come with USB jacks on them these days. Check Sweetwater or zZounds online to see the typical price ranges and options between each PA System. It'll be under their "Pro Audio" or similar headings.

Whether you're using a computer, or live instruments like guitar, a PA is the best way to get a simple performance rig up and running quickly.

But, what's the point of an audio interface? Is it just useful for music production?

But, what's the point of an audio interface? Is it just useful for music production?

An Audio Interface is almost like a PA head, actually. I use mine for recording, but it doesn't have the onboard track EQs like my PA. If you want to use an Interface, you'll still need speakers and stands.

Back