What Do You Even Need An Mpc For??????

Status
Not open for further replies.
basically no difference at all, in fact an MPC is just an inferior computer setup. the only people that say the MPC is better are people that have already paid a gang of money for a crap gadget .they always use arbitrary terms like " it has a feel " or " work flow " and " knobs and sliders " . these are the 3 primary things people use to fel better about wasting money on it before they knew they can do the same things and more on a computer. let me debunk these 3 points
1. The "feel" that are referring to , is either an imaginative mental sound their heard when someone was using one or the processor that only the real old MPCs have . so even if this "robinson" or whatever it was called, did give it a "feel" , i was told only the super old MPCs have it anyways,
so theirs still no point in getting one. And you shouldnt spend 2000 dollars for a "feel" anyways
2.Work flow . This argument is lame because you can do the same things and more and easier on the computer, because itll basically be an MPC with a way bigger screen with a mouse feature so you can drag ,cut,paste, whatever you want to do easier .
3.knobs and faders is another popular mental tool that advertisers use, they always use terms like " if youre the type that like knobs and faders
" etc . let me just sum it up to this, you can buy a USB device that has more knobs and faders with the drum pads on it too .

California said:
2.Work flow . This argument is lame because you can do the same things and more and easier on the computer, because itll basically be an MPC with a way bigger screen with a mouse feature so you can drag ,cut,paste, whatever you want to do easier .
i was with u until this point. workflow really depends on the person. i can work on a piece of hardware much faster than i can any piece of software. only reason i dont go hardware is because i dont want to start from scratch and everything i have just about is in reason format.

California said:
basically no difference at all, in fact an MPC is just an inferior computer setup. the only people that say the MPC is better are people that have already paid a gang of money for a crap gadget .they always use arbitrary terms like " it has a feel " or " work flow " and " knobs and sliders " . these are the 3 primary things people use to fel better about wasting money on it before they knew they can do the same things and more on a computer. let me debunk these 3 points
1. The "feel" that are referring to , is either an imaginative mental sound their heard when someone was using one or the processor that only the real old MPCs have . so even if this "robinson" or whatever it was called, did give it a "feel" , i was told only the super old MPCs have it anyways,
so theirs still no point in getting one. And you shouldnt spend 2000 dollars for a "feel" anyways
3.knobs and faders is another popular mental tool that advertisers use, they always use terms like " if youre the type that like knobs and faders
" etc . let me just sum it up to this, you can buy a USB device that has more knobs and faders with the drum pads on it too .
this advice should never ever ever be tooken serious infact i hope it was a joke :cry: ,by the way that so called crap gadget is responsible for how many hit record's again? so is it crap because you can't afford it or because you dont know exactly what it does ? by the look's of your post i would say all of the above.

let me also add that "feel plays a big roll in music" you have to feel music to bring it alive so just because you dont feel your music dosent mean everybody else is the same way infact we all deliver music off feel and workflow ,if navigating and multitasking between a computer take's away from some one's feel then it take's away from there delivery of music, your suppose to be comfortable with what you use not anxious and stressed trying to maintain your feel for what your trying to create so your primary example's are useless and ignorant,big screen and copy and pasting? that luxury man ,but guess what we leave the big screen to mixing i dont need a big screen to compose music do you?my ear is trained to play drum's ,i know how to compose a melody ,i can apply chord progression and ha drmony i dont need to copy and paste my way around that but if you do well that mean's that your workflow prefrence so you can't assume we all wanna work the same, infact im not even a given mpc user im just getting in to one and i still feel your post was ignorant.

Last edited:
cold said:
by the way that so called crap gadget is responsible for how many hit record's again?
none because they couldve all been made without it . and as far as the "feel" thing. its not that kind of feel that we were discussing . i want to hear a beat that cant be made without an MPC.

California said:
none because they couldve all been made without it . and as far as the "feel" thing. its not that kind of feel that we were discussing . i want to hear a beat that cant be made without an MPC.

believe it if you dont ,most of the stuff produced on sp's and mp's wouldnt be what they are today if they were made on something different, sure you can make the beat sound the same or use the same sound's,but there is more to it then just having a beat with the same sound's.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
If they add a synth engine to Kontakt, it would own any keyboard on the market other than the Oasys. .

If they added a synth engine to Kontakt, it would still fall way behind Dimension Pro in that area. Dimension Pro is a great sampler with a great synth engine. Check it out, you'll toss Kontakt (as strictly a sound module anyway...probably not sampler though).

I tried Kontakt and thought it couldn't touch Dimension as a sound module...I do, however, use Intakt for all the non-Dimension Pro sampling needs. I love Intakt, the great program that NI shouldn't have dropped. It is a great sampler.

No point closing the thread because another one will pop up within a couple of days....

I didn't bother reading the whole thread because I've probably read it before...

In my opinion, the only reason why people use an MPC is because:
1. Some people (especially the older folks) don't really know how to use computer properly. Why learn something new when you can use what you know?
2. Copycats will always be around.
3. Some people don't want to use a computer. Simple.
4. People buy into the hype.

And a computer + midi controller is just not the same. It's doesn't matter if they do the same thing. It's still different. Having GURU isn't a software version of an MPC - it still needs operating system and a host and a dozen of stuff. It also doesn't matter if a PC is far more powerful in terms in processing power, it doesn;t mean your beat will be great.

I use software, so I'm not a software hater btw.

OK thats it...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
swoopsoup said:
In my opinion, the only reason why people use an MPC is because:
1. Some people (especially the older folks) don't really know how to use computer properly. Why learn something new when you can use what you know?
2. Copycats will be always be around.
3. Some people don't want to use a computer. Simple.
4. People buy into the hype.

5. Some people, even newbies, actually like them. Even simpler.

:cheers:

thats like saying if you dont have Protools HD you cant make a good beat.
because 98% of hit songs were made with it .this is the same thing as buying a motif 8 when you already have a computer and an 88 key keyboard. people didnt know about just buying the rack and saving thousands on top of being able to record endless audio and midi tracks and have more stock sounds too. making beats on keybords is gay because the polyphony always runs out and your audio recordings are real limited in space and size. and sequencing on the computer also means a gang more plugins and other things .

California said:
because 98% of hit songs were made with it .this is the same thing as buying a motif 8 when you already have a computer and an 88 key keyboard. people didnt know about just buying the rack and saving thousands on top of being able to record endless audio and midi tracks and have more stock sounds too. making beats on keybords is gay because the polyphony always runs out and your audio recordings are real limited in space and size. and sequencing on the computer also means a gang more plugins and other things .
People would buy a motif because they like the sound's not because they can get alternative sound's by downloading a bunch of vst's,just like people have different taste in car's do you think some one is gonna take a winstar over a escalade just because they both have 4 wheel's and move when you gas them up and put a key in ?

Last edited:
a rack has all the sounds and bonus sounds too

someone should just make an unbiased demonstration. they should make the exact same beat twice, one made with an MPC and the other with a computer. they can compress the drums or whatever they want to do to it, and lets hear the difference

California said:
i dont like racks id take several keyboards over a keyboard and a rack any day

Xabiton said:
i dont like racks id take several keyboards over a keyboard and a rack any day

Not even to mention tweaking and controlling sound's with the keyboard version's are so much easier the rack's are ok for bread and butter ,but the keyboard's are like bread butter and orange juice.

cold said:
Not even to mention tweaking and controlling sound's with the keyboard version's are so much easier the rack's are ok for bread and butter ,but the keyboard's are like bread butter and orange juice.
programming on racks just isnt fun for me id rather program with a mouse than wtih a rack and i dont like using a mouse much either

this thread is drifting off topic like crazy :)

to answer original post (12 pages ago!): it is a WORKFLOW thing... it is about INTERACTION and how the MPC streamlines the process.

Some people prefer the mouse thing... some people prefer the "hardwired" buttons to get in various modes (MPC)

the INTERFACE is different. that's the MAIN difference

I love both ways. I use both ways. I don't see anything wrong about it. It depends what kidn of music I want to make, and how I want to put it together.

the rack route is already implying a computer, so it has a mouse and you can controll the rack from their instead of the rack itself

California said:
the rack route is already implying a computer, so it has a mouse and you can controll the rack from their instead of the rack itself
not really. u dont have to have a computer to hvae a rack where did that come from

mano 1 said:
this thread is drifting off topic like crazy :)

to answer original post (12 pages ago!): it is a WORKFLOW thing... it is about INTERACTION and how the MPC streamlines the process.

Some people prefer the mouse thing... some people prefer the "hardwired" buttons to get in various modes (MPC)

the INTERFACE is different. that's the MAIN difference

I love both ways. I use both ways. I don't see anything wrong about it. It depends what kidn of music I want to make, and how I want to put it together.
That's the answer anyone with both will have. Everyone else uses one and speculates on what the other isn't capable of doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back